[Balance] Ruehin and Higher Vampire

+
Those two cards have similar effects but two different uses, Higher Vampire has a burst potential which makes him better in short rounds, or as a finisher, while Ruehin is better in long rounds, if consumed nine times he can be 40 points. However more realistically Ruehin is often consumed/destroyed five to six times, and that’s being generous, which makes him only 24/28 points, so only 4/8 more points than Higher Vampire for twice the amount of work.
Moreover with the introduction of new banishing effects Ruehin finds itself in direct range of Northern Wind and Regis: Bloodlust, which makes the card almost unplayable when most decks are using the latter, and that's something to add to the already existing weaknesses of the card (locks, resets ...).
Henceforth Higher Vampire just feels like a better and less risky Ruehin, and I don’t think this kind of power creep is particularly healthy for the game.

Therefore I’d like to recommend those two changes for Higher Vampire and Ruehin, to make them more balance between each other:

Ruehin
Power 6, Provisions 12

Deathwish: On allied turn end, Summon this unit from your graveyard to a random allied row.
Whenever Ruehin goes to the graveyard, Weaken it by 1.

Weaken: Decrease a unit's base power.

Note: With this change the ceiling on Ruehin should be 21 points, and after two consumes/destroys he should be 15 points but should also reach the range of Northern Wind and Regis: Bloodlust. It also reduces the snowball effect if the opponent cannot initially deal with the card.

Dettlaff: Higher Vampire
Power 4, Provisions 10

Deathwish: Summon this unit from your graveyard to the same row.
This unit's ability is limited to 3 uses and does not refresh when it leaves the battlefield.
Note: Higher Vampire burst potential is weaker, it's 16 points instead of 20 points. He also is in reach of Northern Wind and Regis: Bloodlust, but because you can consume him multiple time in the same turn if you have cards like Barbegazi, Slyzard, or Kayran on the battlefield before playing him, you can easily bypass that weakness.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I've recently tried a deck with both Ruehin and Dethlaff HV (and even Caranthir, to make double of one of those).

Lost count of how many times i opened with Ruehin R3, prepared to unlock him through purify, only to have him banished with Regis BL, then i ragequitted.

I agree that something should be done about these two, but they removed the Weaken mechanic, im sure they wont bring it back for one card.

And this update does feel a bit like powercreep. Not necessarily with the numbers, but how almost all new gold cards are really good, and most bronzes too, while in the base set there's many that are just unusable.

I've recently tried a deck with both Ruehin and Dethlaff HV (and even Caranthir, to make double of one of those).

Lost count of how many times i opened with Ruehin R3, prepared to unlock him through purify, only to have him banished with Regis BL, then i ragequitted.

I agree that something should be done about these two, but they removed the Weaken mechanic, im sure they wont bring it back for one card.

And this update does feel a bit like powercreep. Not necessarily with the numbers, but how almost all new gold cards are really good, and most bronzes too, while in the base set there's many that are just unusable.

HAHA! Snap!!! Uninstalled after getting Kayran, Caranthir and Dettlaff in my R3 hand, played Dettlaff, banished, quit!!

I realised there's a lot of banish cards now - Regis BL seems to be auto-include (well, it is when you're running Dettlaff HV and Kayran, of course), Cyprian Wiley's there as well. So, as usual with CDPR, it's back to binary. Card vs counter.

Powercreep is absolutely right. Literally the same day as CC was released, I was playing against swarms of vampires, OP NR engines and a few very annoying games against NG where they basically played my cards. Really didn't understand the theory behind that one. You either pay big bucks, or you lose, is the only message I got. £80 for CC expansion pack?!

Rude closing comment removed. -Drac

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom