Balancing the Coin Flip

+
Iuliandrei;n9738951 said:
What happens if you win the coin flip? then you have a dead silver card in your hand.

Think bro, it is only a suggestion, second if it only works one way, then improve on what I suggested to make it work both ways, as Treason seems to fit the bill considering the artwork on the card to what it does, and instead of just criticising on my ideas... *Follow it up, and make it work.*

Regards,
byExeplar

:faith:

Last edited:
I thought that the devs could just add a point or two to the person that plays first, but after reading the thread, the problem isn't so easily solved. I like the idea of giving the person that plays first a token of some sort, but this will inevitably affect card choices and balance more than adding points would.

My thought is that, looking at the gwentup statistics, the win/loss spread tightens between deck types for the higher level ladder players, but there is still going to be heavy faction favoritism. If a change is going to be made ,maybe it should be based on the pro ladder, because every player there is forced to make the most out of all of the factions. I'm not implying that, not being on the pro ladder, my opinion doesn't matter, but that deck composition and player skill is going to be tighter at higher levels, and the choice might be clearer when viewing the top.

The idea of giving the person that plays first 5 points for example, seems too high, but giving them an extra card or token that they can buff or use only when meeting certain contingencies seems even worse. I'd prefer a simple solution over a whole new mechanic.

Last edited:
Bid System suggestion to determine who goes first:

- At the start of the game, both players choose a number between 0 and 10. Example: player 1 chooses 6, player 2 chooses 3.
- Player 1 will go second because he/she chose the highest number.
- Player 2 will get on his/her board, on a random row, a unit with X value, which is the difference between the bids. Example: 6-3=3.
- X will be divided between strength (half rounded down) and boost (remaining). Example: unit with 1 strength + 2 boost.

- If both players choose the same number, the coin flip is random and whoever loses it gets a 0 strength + 1 boost unit on his/her board on a random row.

Sorry if i mispelled something or it wasn't very clear, English is not my native language.

Simple Coin Flip Resolution

- Round 01: Same. Coin flip will decide who go first.

- Round 02: Who go second at round 01 will go first at round 02. No matter who won.

- Round 03: Who win round 02 will go first.

That's it. And seem to be fair for me.

GuardiAngel2;n9764121 said:
At the start of the game, both players choose a number between 0 and 10. Example: player 1 chooses 6, player 2 chooses 3. - Player 1 will go second because he/she chose the highest number.
You might as well randomly toss the coin and give the one who loses the toss +1 boost 'cos almost everyone will be picking the number 10. Yours truly included. And if i get +1 boost i could easily dry pass and CA goes back to me. We're back where we started.

No Title

DEERCG;n9789931 said:
- Round 01: Same. Coin flip will decide who go first.

- Round 02: Who go second at round 01 will go first at round 02. No matter who won.

- Round 03: Who win round 02 will go first.

That's it. And seem to be fair for me.

Attachments

• photo178011.png
    photo178011.png
    137 KB · Views: 27
DEERCG;n9789931 said:

This does decrease the incentive for the person that plays first to push round 1 so that they can drypass or slow play round 2 just to get card advantage back. Anything that discourages pushing round one is a good thing to me at this point.

More importantly, this just changes the flow of current mechanics without adding new ones.

Last edited:
gigabomb Better than opponent dry pass at round 01. And it better if you lose coin flip and want to win round 01 then you force to go first at round 02. Not fair at all.

Maybe give player who goes first a tempo play - i.e. when the first card is played in round 1, an extra card value 7 spawns with it. It's not much ... someone has to go first ... but at least that person a little extra raw power.

Hi guys. I see alot of different suggestion, but dont see any sort of statistics, which confirm problem. How much winrate for player who play card second? Will be interesting to see it in cases of different ranks.

I would like to see faction blacklist in ranked/pro ladder. (Maybe from rank 19-20, people have enough resources to craft at least 2 decks by the time they reach this rank).
This could also help coinflip.
You and your opponent may ban one faction.

If you do, your opponent doesnt, you start first.
If he does, you dont, he starts first.
If both does ban something, or both doesnt, then nothing, let random decide, like it is now.

My personal statistic is that maybe almost all games that I lost was because I started first, thus had -1, -2 cards.

I haven't gone through this topic besides the first 3 posts, but I agree that CDPR should balance the coin flip for the person to go first. If someone goes first, I think they should at least get 2 points for that person's first round's score. It is so frustrating when several matches can be influenced so negatively for the person who goes first.

Sigurd_3;n9831761 said:
I haven't gone through this topic besides the first 3 posts, but I agree that CDPR should balance the coin flip for the person to go first. If someone goes first, I think they should at least get 2 points for that person's first round's score. It is so frustrating when several matches can be influenced so negatively for the person who goes first.
So... What's the 2nd player getting, if 1st player gets a 2 point lead just for going first?

My friend, a balance to coin flip involve both players getting something otherwise it will be unfair, then the problem would arise of 2nd players wanting to go first, as you get something in return of going first. See how that works? ;)

Note: You will find a question highlighted in Purple.

Regards,
byExeplar

:wondering:

byExeplar;n9834171 said:
My friend, a balance to coin flip involve both players getting something otherwise it will be unfair, then the problem would arise of 2nd players wanting to go first, as you get something in return of going first. See how that works? ;)

Note: You will find a question highlighted in Purple.

Regards,
byExeplar

:wondering:
The person who goes first is at an inherent disadvantage for multiple reasons. For one thing, whatever unit gets placed on the board first can get countered easily. Also, the person who goes second doesn't have to worry as much about being at a card count disadvantage; certainly by the end of round 1 it isn't an issue for them.

Sigurd_3;n9836521 said:
The person who goes first is at an inherent disadvantage for multiple reasons. For one thing, whatever unit gets placed on the board first can get countered easily. Also, the person who goes second doesn't have to worry as much about being at a card count disadvantage; certainly by the end of round 1 it isn't an issue for them.
I agree, all that what you have mentioned is true, however, "end of round 1 isn't an issue for the 2nd player", so what if the 2nd player loses after going 2nd from the coin flip, while 1st player went first but managed to win anyway but still receives like a certain reward to gain an extra point or 2, now that isn't fair, is it now young one? ;)

In the meantime, have a look at a suggestion, which I made that could give you an insight to the many possibilities.
Bottom of the page > https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...oin-flip/page8

Note: You will find the response highlighted in Purple.

Regards,
byExeplar

:hmm:

Last edited:
CDPR tournaments will now rotate coinflip for each player in the best out of 5. So player 1 is called blue and plays first, player is 2 called red and goes second, then blue, red, and blue again.

This is nice for tournaments, even if it isn't perfectly fair, but it doesn't offer any insight toward non-tournament solutions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom