Baldurs Gate 1-2 Enhanced Edition

+
Baldurs Gate 1-2 Enhanced Edition

Anyone got this? I picked it up a few weeks ago and I've been playing it slowly. Talk about nostalgia! The original Baldurs Gate was the first PC game I ever played, and it's what got me into the hobby..

Beamdog has done a very good job of modernizing and updating the game, so it looks and runs much better than the original on modern PCs. I'm playing it on a 27 inch 1440p monitor, and it looks great! The original had over 100 hours of gameplay with the expansion, but this new enhanced edition has probably around 150 hours of gameplay or more.

Some screenshots:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tONHtATupkw[/media]

Honestly I don't think either BGEE or BG2EE are worth the price Beamdog is asking for them. You can get both games to run almost flawlessly on modern hardware with only a handful of mods (my personal choices: widescreen by G3, Ghostdog's larger BG fonts, Infinity cracker if you, like me, have disc versions). GOG.com versions are also completely moddable and have been available for pocket change frequently.

Essentially Beamdog put together some popular mods and asks you to pay twice as much for a game that has been out for over a decade and that I, and others like me, have played countless times over the years. I do like nostalgia and whatnot, but this seems more like a ripoff. And more importantly, I don't think either is available DRM-free (yet).

I might try them out some time when both are available for super cheap, but I played BG2 and ToB a little over a year ago and it ran fluidly on my modern computer. Oh, another plus for the original versions: they run flawlessly on Linux with Wine.

So thanks but no thanks, at least for now. I might be tempted to try out the Android versions though.

@ Volsung

Can you honestly get the game to look like the enhanced edition with just mods? It looks like Beamdog re-mastered all of the artwork, because the original never looked nowhere near this nice.

I'm running the game in full native 2560x1440p, and the graphics look very sharp and crisp. Although I never tried modding the game from the original copy, I'm almost certain you can't get close to the visual fidelity of the enhanced edition as you're still stuck with the low rez artwork..

You also get four fully voiced new characters a long with their sub-quests and romances. While I can understand that many people would prefer to mod the game themselves, for lazy people like me, the enhanced edition is perfect. I haven't played BG2 since it first came out, but I've always wanted to. However, the dated look of the game was just a complete turn off and a eye sore.

The enhanced edition remedies that though in a great way, and actually makes it very playable for me. So I'm happy that I made the purchase, and honestly, for 150 plus hours of gameplay, 16 bucks isn't all that much now is it?

So it's the same 150 plus hours of gameplay that we allready own and we're supposed to pay $16 for slightly sharper visuals? Doesn't sound like a wise investment to me, the visuals in my last playthrough were still beautiful and sharp, the benefit of being hand drawn.

Blothulfur said:
So it's the same 150 plus hours of gameplay that we allready own and we're supposed to pay $16 for slightly sharper visuals? Doesn't sound like a wise investment to me, the visuals in my last playthrough were still beautiful and sharp, the benefit of being hand drawn.

No it's not the same. You get four extra fully voiced NPC characters, a Wild Mage, a Blackguard, a Thief and a Monk.

Plus all of their additional content including missions, quests, new areas and romances. So you also get more content with the enhanced edition as well.

Playtime with the enhanced edition should exceed whatever the original was by at least 20 hours I'd say..

How is the combat in this game? Ive heard only good things about this but if the gameplay is weak I cant finish it.
Thats my problem with most of these old games.

The most complete RPG ever made, dark and deep, if witcher 3 can do 1/3 of the freedom of this game, we got the new GOTY for 2014.

Red0oG said:
How is the combat in this game? Ive heard only good things about this but if the gameplay is weak I cant finish it.
Thats my problem with most of these old games.

It really depends what you like, the modern equivalent would be DA:O but that is far less complicated than BG2, i've heard some people say they can't grasp the AD&D 2nd edition rules but they're very well implemented here and really easy to understand in my opinion. It's RTWP and you will be pausing or dying, it's not as engrossing as say TOEE let alone JA2, and is blatantly unbalanced with the battles being decided by the spellcasters. But that game of chess with move and counter-move played out through spells and buffs is bloody enthralling, and the sense of achievement when you conquer a foe who was previously wiping your whole party is very satisfying.

In general the playing areas are large, though not as free roaming as the first BG, the plot is quite linear like say Torment but similarly has a lot of variance in how you solve quests and such. One standpoint is the NPC's who have banters and quests borrowed from Torment, whereas in the first game they were somewhat dead. Another good point is the lively bustling city of Athkatla, it's right up there with Vizima, if you've played DA2 you'll be left in no doubt that Bioware is no longer the same firm, as dead, dull and empty Kirkwall couldn't be more different. I'd recommend the game, though i'd just get it cheap off GOG and download all the mods that improve the game, includes dozens of NPC's and such.

Being playing currently the GoG version of BG2, with the widescreen mod which is easy to get and install, I can say that the game runs perfectly, and still looks really good. I honestly don´t see much difference between the screenshots in the OP and what I get from the modded original game.

That said, whether the price you pay for the new characters of the Enhanced Edition is worth it is up to each you.

Why do people use a wide screen mod for the GOG version of BG2? The GOG version comes with the ability to set the game's resolution to whatever you want it to be. The application to do so can be found in the folder. I just used that to get the game to run in 1920x1080.

Dragon said:
Why do people use a wide screen mod for the GOG version of BG2? The GOG version comes with the ability to set the game's resolution to whatever you want it to be. The application to do so can be found in the folder. I just used that to get the game to run in 1920x1080.

Really?? I had no idea, lol! I just followed the modding guide in GOG BG´s forums.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition I & II

Hello all, there's a steam sale offer for Baldur's Gate I & II Enhanced Edition for the next 48 hours. I heard that both these games are good, I've never played them before, and I have no idea how it works. Are these games complicated? Do you think they worth the price? Because I can buy the standard GOG edition of BG I & II for much less. What do you all have to say about this? Thank you very much in advance for all your response :)

Best regards

I would say GOG.com is the better option. You get the original games with their expansions plus a few extras, and with only a couple of very simple mods you can get them to look almost as crisp as the enhanced editions. However, you would be getting DRM-free, stable games.

I have been playing Baldur's Gate (series) continuously since 2001 and I can honestly tell you this is one of the top role-playing series of all time. It is based on Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (2nd Edition) so the rules governing gameplay and characters and so on are a little strict, but once you get used to them you'll see how much fun there is in using these rules to prepare tactics and plans. These two games are now considered old school, but they put every modern cRPG to shame, in all important cRPG aspects: character creation/development, writing, reactivity, exploration, tactical thinking, etc. Perhaps only The Witcher can be compared in its writing and reactivity, but it relies heavily on action instead of decision guided combat.

If you don't mind the classic, "isometric" 2D look, then go for it. It will be a cRPG experience like no other.

Again, I recommend the original versions from GOG.com. If you need help modding, come back and we'll try to guide you a bit.

If you dont mind messing around with a few mods, I recommend getting the GOG versions.

If you do get the GOG version though, you'll definately need the 2 mods that get the game working on modern resolutions. You can find them in the Baldur's Gate forum at gog.com. They make the games look just as 'good' as the 'Enhanced' Editions.

Volsung said:
I would say GOG.com is the better option. You get the original games with their expansions plus a few extras, and with only a couple of very simple mods you can get them to look almost as crisp as the enhanced editions. However, you would be getting DRM-free, stable games.

I have been playing Baldur's Gate (series) continuously since 2001 and I can honestly tell you this is one of the top role-playing series of all time. It is based on Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (2nd Edition) so the rules governing gameplay and characters and so on are a little strict, but once you get used to them you'll see how much fun there is in using these rules to prepare tactics and plans. These two games are now considered old school, but they put every modern cRPG to shame, in all important cRPG aspects: character creation/development, writing, reactivity, exploration, tactical thinking, etc. Perhaps only The Witcher can be compared in its writing and reactivity, but it relies heavily on action instead of decision guided combat.

If you don't mind the classic, "isometric" 2D look, then go for it. It will be a cRPG experience like no other.

Again, I recommend the original versions from GOG.com. If you need help modding, come back and we'll try to guide you a bit.

Volsung said:
If you dont mind messing around with a few mods, I recommend getting the GOG versions.

If you do get the GOG version though, you'll definately need the 2 mods that get the game working on modern resolutions. You can find them in the Baldur's Gate forum at gog.com. They make the games look just as 'good' as the 'Enhanced' Editions.

Thanks a lot for the tips, truly appreciate it. It's not exactly cost less at GOG now, since the sale's already over, now that I found out. But I'll stick with your advices, and gonna buy the GOG's version. For the sake of DRM-free games, of course. I think I'm gonna need your help with the mods, if I'm having any problems with installing them, later. Once again truly appreciate your replies :)

The enhanced edition made some improvement to the original game but it is usually concerned that the GOG version is better due to more MOD choices. If I'm correct, the enhanced edition does not support MODs.

Baldur’s Gate is getting Siege of Dragonspear expansion nearly 17 years after game’s original 1998 release

If you’re going to make an expansion to a game that’s almost 17 years old, you might as well set it in an iconic location in its world. And that’s exactly what Beamdog is doing with its “Adventure Y” — a codename for a project that turns out to be a new expansion Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition.

The Canadian studio and Dungeons & Dragons owner Wizards of the Coast announced Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear this evening. It’s an expansion for the Enhanced Edition that came out in 2012, and it adds a new story set between the first game and sequel, Baldur’s Gate II, with new companions, a new class, custom magic items, and a new UI. It’s coming out later this year for PC, Mac, Linux, and iOS. It also shows that Beamdog has found an effective strategy for a small studio in the massive PC and mobile markets: updating older games and providing new content for them.

“We’re not quite finished with Baldur’s Gate yet, and we don’t believe the fans are either,” said Liam Nessler of Beamdog. “People have been asking for more Baldur’s Gate since Throne of Bhaal was released in 2001 [for Baldur’s Gate II], and we are all diehard fans of the series ourselves. We couldn’t pass up the opportunity to add a story of our own to the saga.”

D&D
publisher Wizards of the Coast knows it may seem bananas that a studio in 2015 is making an expansion for a game from 1998, but it fits the model that works for Beamdog.

“It is crazytown, but it actually makes sense,” communications manager Greg Tito said via e-mail. “Beamdog has done a great job updating the older code for new operating systems and devices with Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, the sequel, and Icewind Dale. In addition to the technical prowess of Trent Oster’s team, everyone at Beamdog is a hardcore D&D fan and loves the lore behind the Forgotten Realms. We think it is really exciting for them to bring a new Dungeons & Dragons story to life set in the timeline of the original Baldur’s Gate video game. I’m psyched for this expansion!”

The most exciting aspect of this expansion — one that’s already interesting, considering this is new material for an old game for a storyline set in D&D‘s 2nd Edition of the Forgotten Realms in 2015 (D&D is now in its fifth edition) — is that it deals with Dragonspear Castle, an outpost historically dominated by devils and evil humanoids. Five years before the events of Baldur’s Gate, forces from the keep attacked the town of Daggerford before a band of adventurers routed them.

But the castle also hosted a temple dedicated to the god of war, Tempus, and this appears to be how Beamdog is trying the expansion’s story to Forgotten Realms’ lore. A warrior known as the Shining Lady leads a crusade in the north (the Sword Coast, where many Forgotten Realms games are set). Rumors point to her being the child of a god — like your character, who is the issue of the dead Lord of Murder, Bhaal.

Dragonspear Castle is a site that means a great deal to fans of the Forgotten Realms — and those at Wizards of the Coast, too. It’s was part of the playtest for the fifth edition of D&D in Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, which ended in the ruins, and was part of the post-Sundering era. The ruins were an aspect of the Horders of Dragonspear adventure in 1992, in which players took on armies of monsters in its vicinity. It also received ink in Volo’s Guide to the Sword Coast from 1994, which Tito said Realms creator Ed Greenwood laid out more of the legend behind the castle’s builder, the adventurer Daeros, and his bronze dragon friend.

“The people of the Sword Coast know the name of Dragonspear Castle as a place of great evil,” Tito said. “Centuries ago it was a structure built by an ex-adventurer from the loot he earned in his career, but somehow a portal beneath the castle belched out countless devils and other filth from the Nine Hells to terrorize the lands. Armies from Baldur’s Gate and Waterdeep traveled to squelch this terror many times, but the portal is yet to be permanently closed.

“… But the cool thing about the tabletop incarnation of Dragonspear Castle is that although it firmly has a place in Forgotten Legends lore, the specifics of the caverns below the castle were left open for Dungeon Masters to flesh out on their own,” continued Tito. “I think it’s really cool that Beamdog is taking up the gauntlet and presenting their vision of Dragonspear Castle to D&D fans in this expansion to Baldur’s Gate.”

Here’s what the expansion includes, according to Beamdog’s release:

• 25 hours of gameplay with new areas, new monsters, and new loot
  • New areas, monsters, and treasures
  • A new foe
  • New hand-painted areas of the Sword Coast
  • Continue the story by exporting your character to Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition
  • New player soundsets that allow you to customize your hero
  • The original cast returns to kick butt for goodness — along with four new characters
  • Updated user interface and improved Infinity Engine features
  • New quests and a new class: the spirit-calling shaman
  • Original soundtrack by Mass Effect composer Sam Hulick
  • Cross-platform multiplayer on all supported platforms
  • “Story Mode” difficulty setting to allow players to experience the entire story with none of the Game Over screens
This isn’t the first time that Dragonspear has appeared in a video game: You could visit it in Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance II, a 2004 action-RPG, and it received a mention in the mobile game Dungeons & Dragons: Arena of War in 2013. You could “check out the outside ruins, the first few levels of cellars and even some of the natural caverns beneath the structure” in Dark Alliance II, according to Wizards of the Coast communications manager Greg Tito.
venturebeat.com/2015/07/09/baldurs-gate-is-getting-siege-of-dragonspear-expansion-nearly-17-years-after-games-original-1998-release/

---------- Updated at 02:01 AM ----------

They're live-demoing the expansion over at siegeofdragonspear.com right now.

Top Bottom