Baldur's Gate III

+
It breaks the BG1/2 experience. The two are from my time; I've spent over 5k hours (est.) in them together. Possibly even more.
I absolutely hate what Larrian had done with the title.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are my favorite games of all time. Every year I play one of them (including Icewind Dale 1 and 2, they are, more or less, the same game, diferent story:)

First time I playe dBaldur's Gate 1, in 1996, I didnt; even own a PC, I played in celler of a friend, and it took me months to finish it. And I didn;t know anyhting about mages, and they were so weak at lower leves, that I just focused on swordplay and finished it only with fighters and cleric :) imagine that pain of progression :)

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are my favorite games of all time. Every year I play one of them (including Icewind Dale 1 and 2, they are, more or less, the same game, diferent story:)

First time I playe dBaldur's Gate 1, in 1996, I didnt; even own a PC, I played in celler of a friend, and it took me months to finish it. And I didn;t know anyhting about mages, and they were so weak at lower leves, that I just focused on swordplay and finished it only with fighters and cleric :) imagine that pain of progression :)
Ha, a fellow BG'er. Nice to meet ya.

I've played long as a fighter for convenience, till I realized that the role of a Cleric, NG suits my personality best.

If you loved the old BG games, you should try out the Pathfinder games if you haven't already. Kingmaker was free during holiday sale in Epic store btw.
Yep, if u like Baldurs gate u must try Pathfinder. Its really, realy great game with complexity and depth lacking in modern game . Kingmaker is a beast.
Playing now, thanks for reminding me it existed! I did have the PS4 version for a short time, but it ran poorly and had lots of bugs/crashes so sold it on. Not sure why I slept on the PC version for so long, my 8 year-old potato machine can easily run it.

I get that old fans might have a issue with BG3. I have not bought it yet since beta and i played quite a bit of 1 and 2. But i also played Divinity (all 4 of them) and loved em so i think i can live with the changes. Pathfinder is also a GREAT series with hours upon hours of content. Wotr is fricking amazing with different outcomes and paths on the way there. Have like 90h in and havent beaten it yet since theres so much too explore and test :D Also Pillars of ethernity (liked the first one more then the second) is great. Soo happy too see more of these kinda rpgs beeing made :D Now i just want a remake of Kotor 1 and 2 with restored content and upgraded gfx and Vtm:bloodlines :D

I love OG BG1-2 (and even ID), but I don't see how Larian ruined it. It's different, yes, but different in a good way. Though I can understand old fans not feeling "at home" with this take. Still, Larian is busy making something old-school and ambitious.

I figure that for some people the a game in a series that hasn't been continued for so many years will always be ruined by the mere fact of its existence. People have been putting the old games on a pedestal for so long that many will be instantly primed to compare it unfavourably to the expectations they've had in their heads.

I for one am glad to see a new rpg game get made with newer graphics. I know that this is sacrosanct in many circles but for me the pixelated limitations of the games of old have always been a big negative factor. I have played a few of these games but I've never enjoyed them as much as I might have done because despite the non-graphics aspects of them being very good, the graphics do affect me as a player.

I wish the game much success and I hope that this success promotes the more games like it being created. As for BG2? I don't begrudge people enjoying that game to this day but at the same time I would ask people not to begrudge the existence of new games in the series.

A game from Larian Studios, I'll buy it as soon as it's available on Serie X, so not tomorrow for sure.
From what I read it seem to be a "pretty/very" exigent game o_O
"Walgrave then went on to clarify that next-gen consoles could most likely handle the game, so a Series X/Series S port of Baldur’s Gate 3 is still a possibility"

Here's a question to all the old guard players. I'm genuinely interested, not being snide. I say that because I have a tendency to sound sarcastic anyways.

If BG, BG2, Icewind Dale, Planscape and etc were released in a modernised version would you buy them?
For clarity by modernised I meant with the kind of graphics, random generation scope and other qualities you'd expect to see in a game being made in the third decade.
Personally I'd love something like that as even the remastered version of the BG games is not as close to modern as I would want it to be but I am curious to know what other people would think on the topic.

Here's a question to all the old guard players. I'm genuinely interested, not being snide. I say that because I have a tendency to sound sarcastic anyways.

If BG, BG2, Icewind Dale, Planscape and etc were released in a modernised version would you buy them?
For clarity by modernised I meant with the kind of graphics, random generation scope and other qualities you'd expect to see in a game being made in the third decade.
Personally I'd love something like that as even the remastered version of the BG games is not as close to modern as I would want it to be but I am curious to know what other people would think on the topic.
Can only answer for myself but i tend too buy remakes if theres significant changes too the game in some way. Bought ME Legendary even tho i have all the original games with all DLC for example. Gfx doesnt matter that much for me tho and im happy too play the older games but nowdays with the newer hardware and so on it can be hard too get it too run ok.

Even new games with that type of gfx can be really good in other aspects (Pillars of ethernity for example) I like most RPGS tho so dunno i might be the outliner.

No. I already own the games and they are fine as they are.

Studios interested in making games like those should make games of their own. And even then, not copies but something that builds upon the legacy of those games.

PoE 1&2 did that (to BG and IWD series’), T:ToN did that (to PsT), Wasteland 2&3 did that (although more for Fallout Tactics than actually Wasteland). One can be of many minds whether what they did was good, or if they sufficiently evolved the concepts, but on the very basic level they did the right thing.

Depends.

Just remastered graphics like Diablo II: Resurrected, StarCraft and Warcraft 3? Nah. I'm perfectly fine with these games as they are. I admire their art style as is (which belongs to the era when they came out) and remaking graphics will feel too invasive without much purpose. Not to mention, I don't like the result of the aforemented remasters.

If it's a proper remake similar to Resident Evil 1-2-3, Final Fantasy 7 and possibly KOTOR? Bring it on. There's enough change to try them out.

If it was a full remake without impacting the original game, then absolutely.
For a glimpse of what that might look like, there was a mod project at one time to remake BG2 in Dragon Age Origins toolset.

@MartineDee

I have an extra one: I have never met a girl in real life, that loved Baldur's Gate - exept once, and she mentioned it after we had sx, which made it even more impressive - I was so pleasantly suprised that I wanted to talk for hours - and this girl was totall opposite of stereotypes of people who play video games - especially in that time, she was touhg, a model, more promiscuitet then me, and really focused on career

It was one and only time I met a girl who liked Baldur's Gate (or even heard about it:). Today I live with a girl who didn;t even watched The Lord of the Rings movies (this was my dream, to fall in love with a girl who never saw it, so we can watch it together, while I watch her reactions - what caught me off guard was that there was a reason she never saw it - she didn;t wanted, and no amount of love between us (or a kid) changed that

...but I played some parts to our son when he was only one, so at least that :D

Depends.

Just remastered graphics like Diablo II: Resurrected, StarCraft and Warcraft 3? Nah. I'm perfectly fine with these games as they are. I admire their art style as is (which belongs to the era when they came out) and remaking graphics will feel too invasive without much purpose. Not to mention, I don't like the result of the aforemented remasters.

If it's a proper remake similar to Resident Evil 1-2-3, Final Fantasy 7 and possibly KOTOR? Bring it on. There's enough change to try them out.
We'll see how that one goes...

Wish CDPR was the one to do it. Would really love to see Bastila in Red Engine :ohstopit:

Would have agreed with you before Cp2077. Now im not that sure. Same with VTM:bloodlines 2, seemd like it was a slam hit and look at it now -.-

....I don't know. Whatever you might think of the game as a whole Judy (and the rest of the NPCs) is impressive. So I would also like to see Bastila in red engine:)
...and IMO there is still a chance that vtm:b 2 will come out and be a very good game?
But to change the topic closer to bg - I don't think (except for EE to make it playable on modern windows/hardware) bg (especially 2) needs a remake for graphics as much as other games. If I remember correctly it was sprites on a hand drawn background so it has aged well. And I am not too sure what a more thorough conversion (not just an EE) will do with the mods. And (especially BG2) they were wonderful and Imo it is a lesser game without. They just add either wonderful new companions or more of what we already had (banter). Not to mention the sweat drama by adding a 14yo romance:D Quite sad that pillars and pathfinder for example didn't have the same mod community. But I am guessing in these times (and these games) it was easier to make such mods....

....I don't know. Whatever you might think of the game as a whole Judy (and the rest of the NPCs) is impressive. So I would also like to see Bastila in red engine:)
...and IMO there is still a chance that vtm:b 2 will come out and be a very good game?
But to change the topic closer to bg - I don't think (except for EE to make it playable on modern windows/hardware) bg (especially 2) needs a remake for graphics as much as other games. If I remember correctly it was sprites on a hand drawn background so it has aged well. And I am not too sure what a more thorough conversion (not just an EE) will do with the mods. And (especially BG2) they were wonderful and Imo it is a lesser game without. They just add either wonderful new companions or more of what we already had (banter). Not to mention the sweat drama by adding a 14yo romance:D Quite sad that pillars and pathfinder for example didn't have the same mod community. But I am guessing in these times (and these games) it was easier to make such mods....
Ah missunderstood i think. Meant the rest of the game not just character models. think the boat has sailed on VTM:B2 but i hope im wrong since its one of my favorite games ever. BG1 and 2 has a fairly new rerelease dunno how much is updated tho. Bought em on sale some years ago but dident get far into it. Nostalgia googles are also quite a hassle too ignore :D

Top Bottom