Bathesda Announces "The Evil Within"

+
Bathesda Announces "The Evil Within"

The game Bathesda had been teasing for last week is announced , it's survival horror game from Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami . The Game is headed to current gen , next gen consoles and PC in 2014 .
The Evil Within is Project Zwei which was teased by Mikami last year .
Bathesda chose IGN to reveal their game , so visit the link below to see live debute trailer and stay tuned at IGN for more info .
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/19/shinji-mikamis-new-game-is-the-evil-within?abthid=517131fafa0570b54b000005

Edit :
Youtube version now available .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EaxwKn9xNs

Edit 2:
Screenshots :
http://www.cvgworld.com/2013/04/19/the-evil-within-first-screenshots/

I cant stop thinking if he actually ruined Resident Evil with 4 on purpose already thinking of starting a whole new horror franchise somewhere else than capcom.

"Perfect blend of horror and action", hope that its actually morror horror than action this time.

Well i guess it would depend on how its balanced. But in most cases there is no "horror" in a action game. The entire "fear" factor will disapear the moment you have a way to defend yourself against whatever it is that is hunting you.
I would say that the best horror games are the ones that almost never show you what is hunting you... The "unknown" the feeling of being helpless in a confusing / dark place. A moments hesitation can lead to your death.

Going in "guns blazing" is not something i get afraid of.

Kaldurenik said:
Well i guess it would depend on how its balanced. But in most cases there is no "horror" in a action game. The entire "fear" factor will disapear the moment you have a way to defend yourself against whatever it is that is hunting you.
I would say that the best horror games are the ones that almost never show you what is hunting you... The "unknown" the feeling of being helpless in a confusing / dark place. A moments hesitation can lead to your death.

Going in "guns blazing" is not something i get afraid of.
Then you should look forward to new Amnesia game . If you haven't already then play Amnesia : The Dark Decent .

There are two ways of making horror games. It's either amnesia way, i.e. don't give player any weapon, scare player with atmosphere, build up tension, that type has nothing to do with action. Or silent hill way i.e. throw at player maximum creepy shit, make action elements really clunky and unintuitive to enhance horror elements. Actual action-horror games (with modern shooting mechanics that actually works) doesn't work as horror games. That's why alan wake is not very good horror game, they made action fun and arcady, after defeating horde of monsters you felt good, not scared.

some screenshots

http://www.cvgworld.com/2013/04/19/the-evil-within-first-screenshots/

looks really creepy and interesting

Love it! If it similar to SH in spirit, I am a big fan already.
Alan wake is a survival horror game, only horror in it not of irrational, weird-n-creepy--sounds-n-shadows kind, but of very real kind. Knowing that I had only a fistful of bullets left, with a single flash grenade and a single battery, I was real scared to leave a safety of a check-point light, and to run through the forest full of bad things again. ;) On Hard difficulty there are enough of scary moments of this kind, plus some irrational fear from just the surroundings.

Silent Hill is not a game (series of games), it is a state of mind. Either you have it, or not. ;)

Alan Wake is more conventional, but it is well-written, in TV Show format (6 episodes + 2 extras), with nice game mechanics, great characters, nice lore it based upon (Russian Baba Yaga tales, and a general pagan vibe), nice scenery and locations (Oregon is a beautiful place), and enough tension to keep focused and engaged.

I've never really got into RE games, but SH and AW are my all-time favs in survival horror genre.

Aver

Forum veteran
Hoped for something closer to original Resident Evils, but it seems that it's just Silent Hill with a lot of action. I hoped that Mikami learned something after failed 'Shadows of the Damned'. I will pass.

Top Bottom