Batman:Arkham Knight announced

+
Batman:Arkham Knight announced

"Explosive finale in the Batman Arkham series where players will take to the rooftop and now – the roads of Gotham as for the first time the iconic Batmobile becomes driveable”.
Set one year after the events of Arkham City, Game Informer states that a entirely new area of Gotham City is featured in the game, and the map is “far larger than Arkham City”.
The streets are wider to accommodate the Batmobile, and villains include Scarecrow, Penguin, Two-Face, Harley Quinn, and others.

Trailer
Box art:

Details from GameInformer:
- Last Batman game for Rocksteady, will work on something totally new next.
- Single Player only
- The game looks gorgeous,huge(it's built on a "juiced-up" version of Rocksteady's custom modified Unreal engine).
- No more pre-rendered cinematics everything is done in engine
- They spend a bunch of time talking about how detailed the models are, one character has more polygons than the environment of Asylum.
- Things such as Gordon's trench coat and Batman's cape now have Apex cloth physics. They react realistically to changes in wind and movement
- When it rains rains bead of water run down Batman's suit tracing every groove
- The wrinkles on Gordon's face crinkle as he talks
- Claim that Batmobile alone cannot be rendered on Xbox 360.
- Takes place in a new central zone of Gotham; split into 3 islands. Area is roughly 5 times the size of the Map in Arkham City.
- The city is as detailed as ever with realistic moving clouds with the moon shining through
- Halloween characters and balloons litter the street adding a creepy vibe
- Neon signs of the various shops shine brightly around the city
- The skyline has helicopters and blimps flying through it
- Steam puffs out of the sewers in a realistic way
- No load times at all,entering buildings is seemless.
- The larger riots can have up to 50 people flipping cars and looting stores.
- Increased the top glide speed and lengthened his hang time to compensate the larger area.
- The city streets are much wider to allow for the batmobile. You will rocket jump off ramps and do all sorts of cool maneuvers.
- Batmobile is designed to be "the best car in any game ever"
- Batmobile can be called at any moment with a button.
- You can launch into a fast glide from the Batmobile just like the trailer.
- Batmobile fires missles and stun guns. It destroys anything it touches so if you bump into cars the cars go flying. It's basically unstoppable.
- Story is that after Joker's death all the criminals decided to work together and their plan comes together this night where they plan to kill batman. The article talks mostly about Scarecrow, he scattered bombs throughout Gotham
- Arkham Knight isn't just the name of the game.. it's also the name of the [new] villain.
- Oracle will play a larger role, you get to visit her base and talk to her, tons of batman easter eggs included.
- Kevin Conroy is Batman, all the previous voice actors are back.
- Fear Takedowns. ie, burst out of grate, action slows down allowing you to target another goon for another attack and so on. Can be used on groups up to 3 as long as they're close enough together and no one has already spotted Batman.
- All quickfire gadgets can now be used during flight.
- Combat tweaks (for example, you can throw by tilting left towards the opponent and hitting counter)
Concep art & screenshots
Game is coming out for PC,PS4 and Xbox One later this year.

Me after soaking up all of that info and after seeing those screenshots

Last edited:
i am so freaking happy to see this! I loved A. Asylum and A. City (Origins doesnt count.....wasnt from Rocksteady...)

Now we get the Batmobile!

Forum veteran
One of my favorite series, though this is a bit worrying:

- They spend a bunch of time talking about how detailed the models are, one character has more polygons than the environment of Asylum.
- Claim that Batmobile alone cannot be rendered on Xbox 360.

There's a difference between prettiness and being wasteful, and I always cringe when devs go out of their way to be on the cutting edge of high-detail graphics since that's the very first thing a player tunes out. Eventually all that eye candy is just meaningless, frame rate-killing stuff you stop noticing.

Still, sounds great. I just hope that the larger play area isn't fatiguing; the size of everything in City was fine, but getting around in Origins was a serious chore because of how "been there, done that" the whole thing felt.

One of my favorite series, though this is a bit worrying:

There's a difference between prettiness and being wasteful, and I always cringe when devs go out of their way to be on the cutting edge of high-detail graphics since that's the very first thing a player tunes out. Eventually all that eye candy is just meaningless, frame rate-killing stuff you stop noticing.

Still, sounds great. I just hope that the larger play area isn't fatiguing; the size of everything in City was fine, but getting around in Origins was a serious chore because of how "been there, done that" the whole thing felt.
I understand where you coming from but you need to understand that they basically NEED to explain why are they dissing the old consoles in favor of going next gen/PC only(I am assuming a lot of people are pissed that they did this)hence all the "it's pretty "talk.

Forum veteran
That actually makes a lot of sense. Here's hoping it's all talk and they're not going to suffocate my 6870 with a poorly-optimized game, because after the whole DirectX 11 issue during City's launch, that doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Here's hoping it's all talk and they're not going to suffocate my 6870 with a poorly-optimized game, because after the whole DirectX 11 issue during City's launch, that doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

I am assuming that now that they have left the old consoles behind optimization shouldn't be a problem...or at least I am hoping so.Your 6870 falls in the mid range cards(it's about the same or a tad slower than my 7850)so depending on the rest of your configuration you will most likely be able to run it at least on medium settings.Of course this is all based on those screenshots and to know just much of an improvement visually it is(and will your rig tremble in fear :) )we'll have to see some actual gameplay.

I'm starting to get a little skeptical about Batman games.. I mean, first one were great, second one was good but the third one seemed more like Saints Row IV.. (If you get my meaning)

Of course, time will tell..

I'm starting to get a little skeptical about Batman games.. I mean, first one were great, second one was good but the third one seemed more like Saints Row IV.. (If you get my meaning)

Of course, time will tell..

with 3rd one you mean Origins right? Many dont get that Rocksteady didnt made it, it was another studio, sso you cant really count it........, this time Rocksteady are back!

with 3rd one you mean Origins right? Many dont get that Rocksteady didnt made it, it was another studio, sso you cant really count it........, this time Rocksteady are back!

Yeah, but it also means there was no quality control.. Would you give your series you worked so hard to someone and let them ruin it? I mean, if it was a DLC or something like that, it wouldn't matter.. But as soon as you start to make games like you are making a mod, (by using same map but making it not as explorable, copying&pasting old resources without adding much) it is a problem..

I find Rocksteady just as guilty.. They should have talked about terms first.. (They could have said for instance "you can't use anything we previously created except Batman and his car", that would prevent something like that to happen)

Just look at Fallout New Vegas.. It was a great game and it wasn't from Bethesda.. Enough said..

Yeah, but it also means there was no quality control.. Would you give your series you worked so hard to someone and let them ruin it? I mean, if it was a DLC or something like that, it wouldn't matter.. But as soon as you start to make games like you are making a mod, (by using same map but making it not as explorable, copying&pasting old resources without adding much) it is a problem..

I find Rocksteady just as guilty.. They should have talked about terms first.. (They could have said for instance "you can't use anything we previously created except Batman and his car", that would prevent something like that to happen)

Just look at Fallout New Vegas.. It was a great game and it wasn't from Bethesda.. Enough said..

Rocksteady looked at the studio while creating Origins and they gave tips but they said they didnt wanted to control them. Its a young Studio and Rocksteady gave them the chance to do the project alone. Rocksteady was busy working on Arkham Knights. The only reason Origins exists is that they wanted to fill the gap between the release of the "real" third Arkham game, so that the gap wont be so long for fans.

Rocksteady looked at the studio while creating Origins and they gave tips but they said they didnt wanted to control them. Its a young Studio and Rocksteady gave them the chance to do the project alone. Rocksteady was busy working on Arkham Knights. The only reason Origins exists is that they wanted to fill the gap between the release of the "real" third Arkham game, so that the gap wont be so long for fans.

Still, it comes to what i was saying, "no quality control".. They gave their most successful series to some amateur studio and said "do whatever".. People who bought that game thought that it will be like the previous games, but it wasn't.. With the right tools, even a modding team could do better.. Same goes for Saints Row IV..

Still, it comes to what i was saying, "no quality control".. They gave their most successful series to some amateur studio and said "do whatever".. People who bought that game thought that it will be like the previous games, but it wasn't.. With the right tools, even a modding team could do better.. Same goes for Saints Row IV..

I am assuming it went something like this:
Rocksteady:"Okay...we made Arkham City two years after Asylum,but now we want(need) three years to make another one....and it needs to be a next gen only."
WB:"Yeah....three years...only next gen...that translates as less money for the company."
Rocksteady:"What do you suggest?"
WB:"Let someone else do another one (a prequel)and you can do whatever you want."
Rocksteady:"Okay...but we don't want to be associated in any way with that game."
WB:"Done."
Compromises needed to be made.

Forum veteran
Talia? Yes? No? Anyone know yet? Ra's and Talia are my favorite slices of Batmannery, so it'll be a disappointment if they don't show up.

Forum veteran
She disappeared, though, and no al Ghul ever truly dies. The whole point of the family is cheating death. They have a Lazarus Pit with miraculous restoring powers that Ra's has used to stay alive for centuries, so it's not beyond belief that she could be 100% in Arkham Knight. Hell, she could be the super-secret new villain.

Hope not, though, because that twist is always so cheap. I'm clinging to something I read about the Arkham Knight being an entirely new character they created for the game, so hopefully we can avoid such twists. Nevertheless, I still want to see Talia and Ra's. They really humanize Batman because of the complexity of their relationship.

Top Bottom