Batman: Arkham Knight

+
Have there been any major changes/innovations from Arkham City? Or even Origins? Aside from the Batmobile. I enjoyed all the Arkham games so far but haven't really been following this one's development, mainly because I didn't notice a lot of change from the old games.

Have there been any major changes/innovations from Arkham City? Or even Origins? Aside from the Batmobile. I enjoyed all the Arkham games so far but haven't really been following this one's development, mainly because I didn't notice a lot of change from the old games.
I'm with you on that. I haven't played Origins, but in City I didn't feel as if they renewed in a significant manner. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it - it was a great game. But from what little I've seen and read about Knight, it's (refined) more of the same. Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully I'm wrong. And I'll probably play it anyway, at some point.

I suppose the Batmobile is kind of a big addition. But I can't muster any excitement for it - I'm not convinced that fighting tanks with cannons is more fun than the brawling, and that driving around is more fun than gliding. I have this suspicion that the Batmobile sections (if they're not optional) will be those I'll want to get over with.

Maybe I'm being a bit unfair, because honestly, how many sequels renew in a significant way? The main ones that come to mind are TW2 and ME2 over the first titles in their series, but that's partly because the first titles didn't play too well. Once a developer finds that good formula, I guess he sticks to it and improves it here and there. There doesn't seem to be any franchise fatigue for the big releases of 2015 - Knight, U4, Bloodborne, the hype around them all is strong, and from what I've seen and read they're not taking some drastic turn from their predecessors (in terms of mechanics).

I'm with you on that. I haven't played Origins, but in City I didn't feel as if they renewed in a significant manner. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it - it was a great game. But from what little I've seen and read about Knight, it's (refined) more of the same. Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully I'm wrong. And I'll probably play it anyway, at some point.

I suppose the Batmobile is kind of a big addition. But I can't muster any excitement for it - I'm not convinced that fighting tanks with cannons is more fun than the brawling, and that driving around is more fun than gliding. I have this suspicion that the Batmobile sections (if they're not optional) will be those I'll want to get over with.

Maybe I'm being a bit unfair, because honestly, how many sequels renew in a significant way? The main ones that come to mind are TW2 and ME2 over the first titles in their series, but that's partly because the first titles didn't play too well. Once a developer finds that good formula, I guess he sticks to it and improves it here and there. There doesn't seem to be any franchise fatigue for the big releases of 2015 - Knight, U4, Bloodborne, the hype around them all is strong, and from what I've seen and read they're not taking some drastic turn from their predecessors (in terms of mechanics).

Origins was really just a slightly different City with a (opinion) better story. It was done by a different studio, but to me that's not really an excuse. In fact, it was a good chance to change things up from Rocksteady's methods... then again, if they had the fans might have reacted strongly for nostalgia's sake so there's that. Sad situation for WB Games if you ask me.

I agree about City though. Was good, but I don't actually recall much that changed from Asylum aside from a bigger map. Now it seems to be the same for Knight. Personally I think the Batmobile adds nothing of value because it only seems to be used in the game for getting around faster and for shooting up tanks as you've said. And when I think of Batman... no, tanks aren't really what come to mind.

Probably won't be picking this one up if there aren't innovations to stealth and/or fighting. Preferably stealth. Otherwise, it just feels like the transition from ME2 to ME3 - an update more than anything else, except Knight doesn't have the pull of ME3's "continuing the story". That's not to say Knight won't be good; I'm just weary of the feeling of sameness between sequels.

Origins was really just a slightly different City with a (opinion) better story. It was done by a different studio, but to me that's not really an excuse. In fact, it was a good chance to change things up from Rocksteady's methods... then again, if they had the fans might have reacted strongly for nostalgia's sake so there's that. Sad situation for WB Games if you ask me.

I agree about City though. Was good, but I don't actually recall much that changed from Asylum aside from a bigger map. Now it seems to be the same for Knight. Personally I think the Batmobile adds nothing of value because it only seems to be used in the game for getting around faster and for shooting up tanks as you've said. And when I think of Batman... no, tanks aren't really what come to mind.

Probably won't be picking this one up if there aren't innovations to stealth and/or fighting. Preferably stealth. Otherwise, it just feels like the transition from ME2 to ME3 - an update more than anything else, except Knight doesn't have the pull of ME3's "continuing the story". That's not to say Knight won't be good; I'm just weary of the feeling of sameness between sequels.

Origins was almost exactly the same as Arkham City,except like you said, it had a very good story (I would say I actually liked Origins' story better than City's). Aye, it was done by a different studio, and was given the basic engine for the game. I thought "as long as the story will be good, why not?". I mean really, a different studio, sure they could've changed some things, but they weren't allowed to, and I don't know how the hardcore fans (like myself) would have reacted if they gave us something new, but it didn't work out well for the game. Even these shock gloves were a bit weird in my opinion, sure you needed it to activate elevators and stuff but it was just unnecessary besides, it made the fighting too damn easy. So I thought it's actually better they didn't change many things.

In Arkham City, the map was bigger, riddler informants were added, new combat moves like Bat-swarm, side missions, Catwoman as a playable character, lots of new gadgets, smoother combat system, and new moves for the stealth part. Nothing major, sure but still it felt new, at least to me.

Well what we've seen so far of Arkham Knight, there were some new things in stealth. Like the Fear takedowns, which look real badass I think. In combat, Batman can now use the environment to attack thugs, and the enemies themselves can counter his attacks. Unlike Arkham Origins, where only 1 type of enemy was able to counter his attacks, here most of them will be able to. You can throw batarangs while mid-air. You can even use your batmobile in combat on some moves. Changes were also made on the gliding system. About the batmobile, it's won't only be used for roaming around and taking down the Arkham Knight's tanks, but rescuing hostages, pulling down walls, plus the riddler challenges.

Edit - we really don't know about anything big in terms of changes except the batmobile. Rocksteady is really keeping the lid on this.

There was an article I read earlier saying that the rain will pour down slower on different surfaces, have different noise on surfaces. For example on Batman's cowl or skin, it will be slower than on metal parts of his armor.

Oh, and something fresh; this will be the first game in the series that will get a "Mature" rating, which sounds good, taking the story to a more mature level

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-arkham-knight-gets-mature-rating/1100-6425487/

Last edited:
Fantastic trailer, thanks @sidspyker for the trailer post.

If anyone would like the 1080 version to download or stream, please follow the link below :)

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_batman_arkham_knight_trailer-16302_en.html

Found this screen online, someone has managed to grab a screen from the trailer that shows a LEX Corp building in the distance.

This will be a nice nod to the expanded world, especially if the rumored Superman cameo is true. RS have always been a great studio for easter eggs, AA and AC were great for that.

Can't wait to hear more from John Noble, his scarecrow will be fantastic!

Hi to everyone I chat with, been away for a while, hope your all grand!

Yeah, I never expect huge differences when looking at sequels. Refinement is usually the way to go since people who are excited for sequels often want more of the same anyway. That said, for a sequel, I thought Arkham City was a pretty huge improvement over the original. They pretty much improved on everything while bringing it into the open world with a really ingenious traversal mechanic. It hard to say how much Arkham Knight has improved since so much of their marketing has focused on the batmobile.

Just seen an article on ign about hidden codes in the "Gotham is Mine" trailer.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/02/28/hidden-codes-discovered-in-batman-arkham-knight-trailer

The first, hidden at the 0:07 mark in the trailer, contains a very hard to read code saying 7HLEE2zQl2e.

Honestly, looking at the screen, I can't make it out, but I'd need to look at a 1080 trailer, but hey, if the internet says its there!

The second code, discovered at the 0:25 mark, reads pPL2a3Mn Ppi3mAMpyL2.

So far, the only other code discovered is in one of the final shots of the trailer, at the 1:47 mark that reads c Rcn3n3 N2Jn3tjHn2.

ign then posts

When first entered into the Person of Interest field on the official Arkham Knight website, the above codes will bounce, returning with a message saying either "Incorrect password and field. Please decode cipher instructions and use elsewhere" or "Incorrect password. Please decode cipher instructions."

A number of users on Reddit have been hard at work trying to locate and decipher the codes. User SixSided worked out a system to help crack each of them.

According to Reddit users, when correctly deciphered, the first code translates into "yeah right," the second into "botanical gardens," and the third (and so far final) into "your greatest fears." Each of the codes correspond with the characters featured in the stills where they are placed, i.e., Harley Quinn saying "yeah right," Poison Ivy's "botanical gardens," and main antagonist Scarecrow's "your greatest fears." It should be noted that these codes will only work if placed in the correct field on each page. Scroll to additional Person of Interest pages on the website via the small arrow on the right-hand side of the screen.

When the correctly deciphered codes are entered into the website, each yields a character bio for its corresponding villain.

So far, only three codes have been discovered. Whether or not these are the only ones available in the trailer remains unknown.

When you enter these codes you get the following bio screens.

And some screen grabs from the trailer.

Nice to see Firefly making a comeback, if I find any new pics in HQ I'll post them asap!

Lol, taking a page out of CDPR's play book? Those facial models are top notch. Ivy in particular is very distinct. I just want a different bat suit than the metallic armor, and I hope the lonely, gothic aspect of being Batman is still there. Everything looks so futuristic and convenient it worries me. It doesn't feel like a Batman game anymore.

Lol, taking a page out of CDPR's play book? Those facial models are top notch. Ivy in particular is very distinct. I just want a different bat suit than the metallic armor, and I hope the lonely, gothic aspect of being Batman is still there. Everything looks so futuristic and convenient it worries me. It doesn't feel like a Batman game anymore.

I don't know mate, it looks like they've added some Blade Runner style atmosphere to the game which I think is a good thing. It still looks suitably dark as Batman should be. If I'm talking shit let me know, I'm kind of light-headed at the moment.

Last edited:
Like with most Arkham games, and I think we talked about this in an earlier page, I hope once evil is thwarted, then you'll be left with a gorgeous open world, with procedural crimes popping up now and then.

The rumors of bats getting "offed" at the end of this one seen VERY doubtful, unless they go for a Dark Knight Returns style where he goes underground at the end?

Either way the new trailer makes me very happy..... and its out 2 weeks after W3. Jeez

Last edited:
Like with most Arkham games, and I think we talked about this in an earlier page, I hope once evil is thwarted, then you'll be left with a gorgeous open world, with procedural crimes popping up now and then.

The rumors of bats getting "offed" at the end of this one seen VERY doubtful, unless they go for a Dark Knight Returns style where he goes underground at the end?

Either way the new trailer makes me very happy..... and its out 2 weeks after W3. Jeez

How are we supposed to choose, eh? :lol:

I doubt I'll be playing Arkham Knight at launch. TW3 will probably more or less consume my time in the couple of months following its release.

Will probably get it late summer or early fall.

How are we supposed to choose, eh? :lol:

Ah MAN!

Tell you what the original 24th Feb release made me happy as I'd have a nice gap between the two..... but 14(ish) days......

Don't get me wrong, the Witcher will be all consuming, as you say. Buuuut the immense bat fan in me can't wait. Might have to devote a week at a time to each....... like sharing a child after a divorse!

First world problems right!

At least there's an economical bright side for me that they're close to one another. It means that I won't feel the urge to get AK right away and I'll be able to wait for a sale.

Small victories, eh?

Last edited:
Ah MAN!

Tell you what the original 24th Feb release made me happy as I'd have a nice gap between the two..... but 14(ish) days......

Don't get me wrong, the Witcher will be all consuming, as you say. Buuuut the immense bat fan in me can't wait. Might have to devote a week at a time to each....... like sharing a child after a divorse!

First world problems right!

right i got the same problem i will probably play batman first because the story is much shorter.......after it i will go right into the Witcher 3

And if MGSV is also out during this time, it will be a very busy gaming session, haha

But Witcher 3 is going to be the first on my list, after that I will take a week or so off from gaming and go back to the Dork Knight and the badass himself, Big Boss (if MGSV is out during that time).

Top Bottom