Batman Movies

+
Batman Movies

Today I watched Batman (1989) for the first time in my life. I remember watching Batman & Robin (1997) on tv when I was little and I hated it since the cartoon effects. I thought it was supposed to be more serious. It was a movie after all. And I'm not talking about the effects which had been used in Adam West's Batman tv series. (A channel was showing it Turkish dubbed more than a decade ago.) Batman & Robin was a superhero movie with comedic stuff. That's why I hated it. It's not a comedy movie for god's sake.

When I saw Tim Burton and Danny Elfman names on screen, I knew it was gonna be a good watch. I think Tim Burton was a perfect choice for directing Batman. The soundtrack is epic as expected from Elfman. I didn't know most of the actors except for Jack Nicholson. I think Batman Returns was awesome of which an NES game was produced. It was one of the best games I played on NES.

Nonetheless, there were some cheesy-lame moments in the film and Batman's costume looked like cheap black rubber, especially the cowl. Still, the costume was better than Adam West's and probably I consider those moments cheesy because the movie is actually old.

I have watched Dark Knight at the movies. I thought it was good then. Actually one of the best movies I watched so far.

So what about you? Have you watched all the movies? Which one is your favorite?

Well the very first Batman is not that good, if you ask me and it's not exaclty a T.Burton's movie style. Butman Returns is MUCH better. Other than those two, there is quite none. I mean: Batman 3 and 4 are quite... crappy :p
C'mon Val Kilmer and George Clooney as Bruce Wayne? LOL

Both the Dark Knight and Batman Begins are good. Frank Miller's comic has its influence on Dark Knight :)

Dark Knight has the be *THE* Batman movie - it was superb. Everything about it, the acting, the direction, the style.

Of course, Heath Ledger stole the movie. The awards he got were all well-deserved.

I loved The Dark Knight. But I think they tried to pack too much into the plot, which messed with the pacing. Batman Begins had better pacing. The Dark night had better action set pieces. I also loved Burton's first Batman film. A classic, and really the film that started the glut of super hero movies in Hollywood.

Forum veteran
I'm neutral on Batman and Batman Returns. Batman and Robin was so bad that the film that recorded it and everyone involved should have been thrown into a pit of fire and never heard from again. For some reason I actually like Batman Forever, despite not liking Val Kilmer or Nicole Kidman or Chris O'Donnell or Jim Carrey. Something about the way the movie was structured or something. That being said, I'd still never recommend it to a normal person.

Batman Begins was weird, but I really liked how real it felt. Even the ridiculous stuff somehow felt like it could happen. The Dark Knight was like that, only turned up to eleven and structured unconventionally. It was nice though, because the pacing keeps the viewer off-balance which fits the deranged tone of Ledger's Joker. I think what I like most about both movies is that they're completely unapologetic to the source material, adapting it for their own ends instead of being a vehicle to pack in as many winks to Batman nerds as possible. Apparently someone got the memo that people aren't looking for a 100% accurate Batman movie, just one that's actually entertaining for the right reasons.

yeah man, the worst Batman movie by far is Batman and Robin. I still enjoy Batman Returns and Michele Pfeiffer is still the best Cat woman!

But nothing beats Batman Begins and Dark Knight, Christopher Nolan's fan all the way!!! Heath Ledger really outshines Christian Bale. The casts ensemble was just too good.

Can't wait for The Dark Knight Rises!!!

All what I wanted to say is already said above in some form
All hail Nolan
can't wait for The Dark Knight Rises!!!

The first act's the Pledge. That's when you present something ordinary, show it to the audience. You show a man become a vigilante, you watch him begin.

Then, comes the Turn. Where you take that ordinary thing and do something unexpected with it. You see that man become a symbol, and watch him lose everything to a psychopath.

And finally, the Prestige. This is where you twist the events already seen. You show the audience something they've never seen before. This is when you blow their minds.

if you are a Nolan fan as well you'll get this more
again hail nolan

Adityathewarriorwithin said:
The first act's the Pledge. That's when you present something ordinary, show it to the audience. You show a man become a vigilante, you watch him begin.

Then, comes the Turn. Where you take that ordinary thing and do something unexpected with it. You see that man become a symbol, and watch him lose everything to a psychopath.

And finally, the Prestige. This is where you twist the events already seen. You show the audience something they've never seen before. This is when you blow their minds.

again hail nolan

All hail Nolan!!!

Dark Knight is the GOAT Batman movie, no doubt. I was bored out of my mind while watching Batman Begins though. I don't remember all the previous movies since I was much younger when watching them.

MM360 said:
Dark Knight is the GOAT Batman movie, no doubt. I was bored out of my mind while watching Batman Begins though. I don't remember all the previous movies since I was much younger when watching them.

You on the other hand must be waiting for The Man of Steel, another Nolan written and produced

You on the other hand must be waiting for The Man of Steel, another Nolan written and produced

I'm actually waiting for Transformers 4 and GI JOE: Retaliation

MM360 said:
I'm actually waiting for Transformers 4 and GI JOE: Retaliation

oh ya GI Joe 2 has surprising new cool cast, just released a new trailer.
TF4 might take a long time though, only on paper something going on

Forum veteran
The Prestige was so messed up, but it gets stuck in your mind. Speaking of which, that reminds me of a theory someone has about what will happen in the next Batman movie based on Nolan's previous movies (and using that model from The Prestige). Here's the link.

I'm actually waiting for Transformers 4
If you get tired of waiting, you can recreate the experience by getting a bunch of GI Joe action figures, some M80s, and recording everything blowing up. Then you just set the video to play on a loop and watch for an hour and a half or so. If you feel like you've violated millions of childhoods afterward, then you've successfully recreated the experience of a Michael Baysplosions movie.

secondchildren said:
...and it's not exaclty a T.Burton's movie style.

True true :nod: I think Tim Burton is a good choice since Batman also has this side which is feared by criminals. He chose the "bat" theme to send fear into the hearts of thugs. One can see his style when they look at Danny Devito's Penguin in Batman Returns. I don't know if Mr. Cobblepot was portrayed anywhere else like that.

secondchildren said:
Both the Dark Knight and Batman Begins are good. Frank Miller's comic has its influence on Dark Knight :)

I don't remember if I watched Batman Begins. Heath Ledger really shined in Dark Knight. It was like not Christian Bale but him was the star of the movie. He passed away young. A big loss for the screen.

EDIT: I'm adding a poll. I didn't expect this much participation to be honest.

Don't watch Batman&Robin, Batman forever. And of course Adam West is no Batman.

My list:
1. Dark Knight
2. Batman Returns
3. Batman
4. Batman Begins/ Batman Year One(great animation released this year)
5. Batman Animated series

They couldn't of thought a better actor for the role of Batman then Adam West? I just don't think that he sums up the role of Batman he just is not bad ass enough. At least in my eyes he is not :D

I have to say that 2 of my favorite Batman movies were Batman Returns and The Dark Knight...

Well, when I see Adam West's bat costume and hand drawn eyebrows, it only makes me wanna laugh. The series had a campy style after all.

Forum veteran
Masos said:
There should be a ban for posting Adam West.
Says the person who posted some Adam West in the other Batman thread. Adam West is to Batman what sandals are to Achilles.

Top Bottom