Beard/Hair pop-in during cutscenes

+
Beard/Hair pop-in during cutscenes

Hello,

Thanks for a fantastic game.

One thing that keeps bugging me though is the hair and beard pop-in during cutscenes, mostly on Geralt but also on NPCs. I've noticed that it doesn't occur on Geralt if I have hairworks enabled so it only seems to occur on Geralt when Hairworks is disabled. It's pretty annoying unfortunately and kinda takes me out of some of the more serious moments in the game. Anyone else have this problem ? There's also some pop-in in the environment while traveling, which doesn't annoy me as much but it is distracting.

Edit: Oh and I'm playing on PC with a GTX 780.

I just had Geralt give a key to smeone and he held out his empty hand and the key popped in just a split second before the scene changed. I do get lots of pop in at times, seems like a pretty common issue. It does break the immersion quite a bit too...

You are not alone, I too get this. I first started noticing it after the 1.04 patch.
It was really noticeable when during a cutscene a woman wearing headwear had her hair pop in and suddenly cover part of her face.

Radeon 7950 here.

This happens for everyone. Geralt has a beard! Geralt does not have a beard! OOOH the camera zoomed, HE HAS A BEARD :D

You are not alone, I too get this. I first started noticing it after the 1.04 patch.
It was really noticeable when during a cutscene a woman wearing headwear had her hair pop in and suddenly cover part of her face.
Noticed exact same thing after 1.04 myself never saw it before Though i didn't play on 1.03 much so could of easily missed/not recall it on that version. I never noticed it or NPC-Poping the first 80 hours I played pre 1.03

overclock your CPU. at least in my case, Witcher 3 will do that object pop in heavily while the CPU is busy (i use my PC as CCTV server too, so when it detect movements and record, voila... objects pop in).

I have the same issue. Most noticable is geralts beard like others have mentioned. Doesnt happen every cutscene but it happens more often then id like.

I have a i7 3820 oced to 4.2 ghz. Cpu is only being used by the game. So what cpu do you have and at what oc? I did not have this kind of pop in pre 1.04. So hopefuly its somthing they can fix and not hardware bottlneck related.

i5 3570k @4Ghz, Radeon 7950 (not overclocked), 16GB RAM for me. As said before never happened prior to 1.04 for me (or if it did it was so subtle as to not be noticeable), became very noticeable after the patch though it does not happen in every cutscene.

Pop in seems to be rampant after patch 1.04. Not only with beards and whatnot, but also textures. Its really annoying...
My hunch is that when the patch claimed it "improved performance" what it really did was destroy render distances.

Yes, also have this issue after 1.04. Also sometimes I have NPCs pop-in just in front of me. 1.04 overall made the game worse for me, so I'm waiting for 1.05, hoping it will fix issues. Also it didn't improve performance for me, I have the same ~30 fps at max settings (~3 year old pc, GTX 670, Core i7 3770K, 4x8Gb DDR3-2133)

Last edited:
Yes, also have this issue after 1.04. Also sometimes I have NPCs pop-in just in front of me. 1.04 overall made the game worse for me, so I'm waiting for 1.05, hoping it will fix issues. Also it didn't improve performance for me, I have the same ~30 fps at max settings (~3 year old pc, GTX 670, Core i7 3770K, 4x8Gb DDR3-2133)

What settings are you running on? I have a 2500k and the 670 FTW 4GB and it runs fairly well. I'm just curious. I think I have Tex Quality on Ultra, 1080p, handful of settings on Medium and a few on High. No AA in-game as I'm forcing FXAA (looks better) in Nvidia Control Panel. A few more minor tweaks but I'm locked with RivaTuner at 35 FPS and it's great.

I do have the pop in problem like crazy and I too, never noticed it until 1.04. Game is installed on a Kingston SSD so this really shouldnt be an issue.

What settings are you running on? I have a 2500k and the 670 FTW 4GB and it runs fairly well. I'm just curious. I think I have Tex Quality on Ultra, 1080p, handful of settings on Medium and a few on High. No AA in-game as I'm forcing FXAA (looks better) in Nvidia Control Panel. A few more minor tweaks but I'm locked with RivaTuner at 35 FPS and it's great.

I do have the pop in problem like crazy and I too, never noticed it until 1.04. Game is installed on a Kingston SSD so this really shouldnt be an issue.
1080p borderless window, everything on Ultra, disabled hairworks (hits fps hard when camera is close to Geralt's head and I do not like how it looks on Geralt, it's also buggy as hell - for example it doesn't pause animations while you're in menu, I'm waiting for option to enable it only on animals - fur looks great with HairWorks and doesn't affect fps as much as Geralt's hair), tweaked shadows, ocean & grass density above Ultra, tweaked grass distance to something between Ultra and High (Ultra drops fps significantly with high density). I also use forced 16xQ CSAA in NV control panel, though it doesn't seem to work. Game runs smooth and 30-40 fps with occasional drops to 25 rarely. On Ultra with HairWorks and Ultra grass distance I'm getting 25-30 fps with occasional rare drops to 20 fps.
Also since the patch 1.0.4 I'm getting loading screens sometimes in the open world (screen blurs and loading starts). Also installed on SSD.
I have a video on YT recorded on my PC, but it's spoilerish (end boss + ending), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsVU0Frql5g (recording reduced fps by 2-5 maybe), the issue also can be seen on the video.

Last edited:
Yeah, same here. The thing is this kind of texture loading pop-ins is no novelty in modern games... unfortunately. But it can be quite annyoing. Geralt and Johnny have been the victims in my game so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom