Beat on the Brat, was this on purpose?

+
I have to ask, were the fights in the Beat on The Brat gig purposely made to be that hard. Cause if so, why? They are so freaking frustrating. When I fought the "twins" at first I thought, of cool, so each one of these fights is gonna have a quirk about them. Low and behold the "quirk" about the other ones is they'll just beat you in two hits. Where's the challenge in that? If thats some sort of unintentional bug or something then fine, I'll find the patience to eventually beat them or wait until it gets fixed. But if thats done on purpose. Thats some lazy Dark Souls bs.

I have to ask, were the fights in the Beat on The Brat gig purposely made to be that hard. Cause if so, why? They are so freaking frustrating. When I fought the "twins" at first I thought, of cool, so each one of these fights is gonna have a quirk about them. Low and behold the "quirk" about the other ones is they'll just beat you in two hits. Where's the challenge in that? If thats some sort of unintentional bug or something then fine, I'll find the patience to eventually beat them or wait until it gets fixed. But if thats done on purpose. Thats some lazy Dark Souls bs.
Enemy hit tracking is bugged. Secret to these fights is dodging and staying out of range, that is difficult when their hits land even when punching other direction. Keep your distance and I recommend taking perks that cause enemies to stagger. You get a bit more time to land your combos in.

There is an exploit to beat these if you want to complete them but not build up Street Brawling.

You can also equip Gorilla Arms.

I don't think they're that difficult once you get used to the brawling system.
Like being patient and blocking or using dodges to get out of the way and avoid attacks.

You can also use food buffs for additional health and stamina management if needed!
If you don't want to invest in street brawling perks (like me) then I suggest getting or waiting for gorilla arm cyberware and equipping a bleeding mod or condition mod to them and using hp buffs etc.
As previously mentioned you can also just complete it later when you are a higher level.

Each one has a particular way of fighting or pattern to their moves and if you watch them and time it you can dodge and then go in and punch, leveling up body and getting cybernetics and athletics/streetbrawler perks helps too

I've heard you can also cheat by dropping a melee weapon before the fight and then picking it up once it starts.

its on purpose, you can mess with stats, but they ll always hit harder than you if you get caught. If you actually put a lot into brawling, it'll be easier, but if not, it'll be pretty similar difficulty no matter what level you are.

If you could beat your opponent in 2-3 good hits, which is how many hits you can take before you lose the fight, it'd be equitable.
As it is, each hit you connect takes off only 2-3% of the opponent's health. So I'm of the opinion that the fights are not necessarily buggy, but definitely seriously unbalanced.

Cough. Legendary Short Circuit. It adds an obscene amount of shock damage to your fists. You just need some crit chance to reliably proc it.

There are lots of access points where you can farm it, but the most consistent one is Gig: Serial Suicide in City Centre.

I did it, with legendary Gorilla arms, 20 body with all relevant athletics perks, only 3 perk points in brawler as left over perk points. Internal bleeding, 100% charge damage mods.

They are still rather difficult on Very Hard if you don't learn to cheese the AI.

You never want to stay close enough to them that they start their punch>kick>punch combo, because the kick is unblockable and does a metric ton of damage and tracks even if you side step for no reason.

So what you want to do is keep them staggered by doing a heavy strike to the head, immediately stepping back while charging up another heavy strike, and keep them stun locked like that. If they try to block and stagger you dodge out and kite any long winded combo they try to do.

It's very tedious, but it's all about cheesing the AI so they don't go into their stagger immune, unblockable kick combos. You have to cheese distance and keep them busy with staggers so they can't start their offensive combo chain. Most of their attacks that are not the kick combo chain can be interrupted with a heavy strike of your own.

The final fight, important that you have the Zetatech mod because it gives you doubled melee damage and increased defense/resistances.

The final fight, despite Viktor telling you to hit his abs, don't risk it, the melee aiming in this game is awful, only try to land abdominal strikes when he's knocked down kneeling or on the floor. Otherwise keep aiming to stagger him with heavy strikes and backing out so he desn't combo you.

The final fight, he actually heals back up to full health when he hits about 30% HP, so you have to be really patient, toward the end he'l also start zipping around in ultra speed if you try to swing too much, so just wait out for your opportunity to stagger him with a heavy strike and then keep stunlocking him until he's knocked down, then deliver a flurry of light strikes, trying to hit his ribs/abs if you can while he's down.

Of note for all fights, well timed parries work GREAT, if you're good about blocking at the right time and doing a parry that staggers them out, fights become much easier.

They're very frustrating fights in general because they seem to completely ignore your armor and it's all about cheesing the AI.

Doesn't help CDPR was abjectly incompetent/negligent and thought that not letting you bind a key for dodges and forcing you to double tap directionals was a good idea. So dumb...

I completed every fight (besides Razor Hughes this one is impossible without upgrades or bugs) without Gorilla Arms or any attributes for melee ,the last fight is my favorite because vik comes to see you and for him it is really a big deal and wants you to win considering the fact that he got second in a boxing match like this so he wants his friend to win

It's a cakewalk with the blunt weapon perks which stagger, and restore hp & stamina for hitting staggered enemies.
Set an auto-clicker to spam left-click, got the brat stunlocked in a corner with perma-stagger then went and made a coffee.
Worked on all of them.

That said, it's stupid as hell how much HP they have. Tried it at every level range from 20 - 50, and even at max level, max-body it takes far far too long.

Sure gorilla arms probably makes it easier, but honestly, cutting off limbs just to win a punch-up seems dumb as hell.

When I had to take advantage of a glitch to beat the twins, I decided I wasn't going to do this quest line.
I got one twin stuck in the couch to where he wouldn't fight back but I could hit him while the other stayed in the corner on the other side of the ring.

I completed them all with no brawler perks and only 9 body. I may have invested in athletics a bit though, for increased melee damage...

As has been mentioned previously; it comes down to analysing your opponent's fighting pattern and not letting them land any blows. For my V, it was just consistently using heavy strikes, staggering the enemy, using the downtime to recharge stamina and then repeating; slow but effective and avoids the need to cheat. My V was level 50 for all fights except the Kabuki twins though. For the military guy, the guy in Heywood and Rhino, I did them all back to back while under the effect of a single stamina booster, health booster (lasts 45 minutes if you have 50% more effective consumables), and some food and drinks (nourishment and hydration status respectively) xD

Also, shock'n'awe cyberware can be used as an insurance policy for getting hit; with the legendary granting a 10% chance to emit an EMP blast that will wipe off up to 30% (officially, it's supposed to be 20%, but I kept seeing roughly 30% health drops) of your opponent's health if you get hit ;)

My V beat the twins simply by drinking a can of soda or something and hitting them with heavy strikes and using their downtime to regen stamina (rate is increased if you have the "hydrated" status gained from drinks) They gave up after two hits each, heh.

I did accidentally cheat for the final fight, by getting the big lug stuck in a corner, where he just didn't want to fight from :p Even at level 50 and with all consumables, that guy was massively OP vs my Valerie, with minimal cyberware and not much body investment, so when when life gave her lemons...

The melee system does feel very clumsy, but it's still pretty fun in my humble opinion.

Attachments

• photomode_20210218_210656.png
    photomode_20210218_210656.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Nah, the brat missions are a unbalance and unrealistic mess. They are stronger than all the boss fights. And a waste of time. When the way to win, is to just run around the ring like a idiot. It's not worth it. Also, when a game changes it rules, so the AI can cheat. I curse any developer. Because that just means. You couldn't make an AI that was hard. Can't block them right. They ignore armor. You can't get the same body mods as Razor, to actually fight equally. Why would I want to waste my time with this. And I'm not gonna cheat, by dropping weapons. So I lost on purpose Vsing Razor. Laughed at this mission. Never did them again. Chucked them in the worthless side stuff bin, along with Regina. Love if they add the option to remove missions from your list.

I also love the logic. We can eat food and other stuff to boost stats. Include using Gorilla arms. But the Mantis Blade are illgeal. I'm sorry whhhy. They are apart of your body. Razor is a walking army. That's okay, but I can't use the Mantis Blades? Sure game, sure. How about give me Gorilla kick. So I can throw Razor out of the ring.

Last edited:
I stop doing them after the clown. It did not seem well balanced as they were punch sponge. In the end it just felt like button mashing and un-thinking lizard brain reflex to block or dodge at "just the right time".

For many years I have wanted to see a H2H/Melee combat system where your actor picks all the parry and attacks, blocks and ducks and dodging based on distance and angle to the opponent, and your movement direction and stamina level. The player controls footwork with arrow keys or wasd (what ever) and only 1 button that controls your focus on defense, offence and resting to bring back stamina!

Press the attack button and you focus on offence more than defense. As you keep that button down you ramp up the offence and use less defense like an accelerator key in a car game. Lift your finger from the button and the opposite happens. Move out of attack range to regain stamina!

The game combat then becomes a dance of Range, Geometry, Tempo, Angles of attack, Timing and Tactical Defense No longer just brain dead button mashing and hyper reflex.

I have batted around this idea for over a decade on game forums and many people in the past have told me it sounds silly. I made a Skyrim combat mod that also used this concept for "trick shots" such as throwing what is called a WRAP shot when you got very close to your opponent. This wrap shot would go around the raised shield to hit the opponent in the back of the head.

But recently there is a very popular game that basically is doing this concept called Hellish Quart. Players love the combat and it proves the minimalist concept works and can still give the player the feeling of complicated and layered combat mechanics. He is using two sets of buttons for the player to dictate either high or low attacks. But those high or low attacks are completely determined by range, stamina and movement. If you do not press the attack button then you get parrys and blocks determined by your geometry, range and stamina.

It would have been amazing if the melee in this game had done that kind of thing. Because Hellish Quart seems to be succeeding I hope to see this idea used in more games in the future. The DEV for HQ said he is going to start working on the option to NOT use weapons and it be a H2H brawl. He said he is sure the same mechanics he is using for the weapons can be applied to H2H as well.

edit: oh yeah and the DEV for HQ happen to be a combat programmer for the Witcher!

Last edited:
Top Bottom