Being Visibly Armed,Holsters and Trunks

+
Persoanlly, I find the game world and how we will interact with it to be more important than the actual mechanics matching those of the PnP. That's my take on the "Style over Substance" concept.

Hell, if they give us anything close to sleeping dogs, GTA, or Saints row, only with cybernetics, netrunning, and flying vans, then I will be as happy as humanly possible. Anything beyond that is just gravy to me....

Preferably with story structure and looting similar to Fallout New Vegas....

I cannot agree enough with this thread and the concept of 'how much can someone carry'. EYE: Divine Cybermancy had a good take on it. You have a set number of open slots per location in which to carry everything. Each item was a certain shape and size, taking up different amounts of slots in different combinations.
View attachment 875
There is no way you can hold a weapon in arm pouchs, but smaller weapons will fit in leg pouches and across your chest/back.

If a system based on the weight and concealability of items could be implamented, I would be happy. By all means have a bag/backpack that can carry more gear, but the actual amount of weaponry that can be used at one time needs to realistically limited. Clothing and webing can make a big difference here, obviously, but common sense should still play a major role.

Stash bags may be an option. In the PnP CP2020, I always bought several sturdy canvas hold-alls. I would take a couple folded up in my pockets and any excess ammo or gear that I would not need on hand at all times lived in another one that I would stash away while I had to pay attention to what was going on. (I even switched one that had prototype gear in it, (read: expensive mission objective,) that we were supposed to recover and did a runner, leaving the party with a bag of scrap and C4 with a light sensetive detonator. Happy times...)
If we can dump off these 'stash bags' do our fighting and pick them up again when we have a hand free, it could solve the unrealistic carrying capacity conundrum.

Vehicles with storage is another option I am in favour of.

sounds like a good sytem

And 10 months later this thread is still full of awesome ideas, thanks for bringing it back at random bd.

And 10 months later this thread is still full of awesome ideas, thanks for bringing it back at random bd.

no problem i thought it would be nice to bring some old but still great threads which, were nearly forgotten, back...threads like your beloved Wastelands thread for example

another example of how visibly armed can look like

This and the thread on inventory (there was one, right? or one about weight, encumbrance... no? did I dream it?) make me think the Witcher 1 did it pretty good. Geralt had holsters for knives and small axes or even a third sword on his legs and two slots for the main two swords on his back. I think it makes sense: why would you be carrying weapons any other way? Well, I know why, it's kind of frustrating when you can't at least come back with your old weapons and the ones you've just got, either for saving them in a stash or for selling them, instead you have to abandon them. So as long as they can do that fixing that problem, it would be okay. I've also had this thought that is related to concealing weapons and it's relative to bigger weapons: imagine sniper or anti-tank rifles or even that sword the bad guy from Highlander had. Maybe in the combat zone you can have them strapped to your back but, wouldn't it be cool that you were not supposed to be showing your weapons that visibly in certain areas and were instead forced to carrying them disassembled inside a suitcase or sportsbag? Maybe we have to plan in advance for an assassination, find a vantage point for the kill and start assembling our weapon. A higher skill on that weapon or something will make the assembling quicker, etc.

I think you should be able to wear your stuff openly as well as be able to conceal it (for the right price). I can't imagine security allowing you to enter building while being visibly armed and I don't think it should matter how plainly armed you are when you're collecting loot in the wasteland outside the city limits, in a war zone or somewhere else, where only law is the man who can make his own law. There is a lot of room for both approaches.

Given the level of violence/risk in the society of NightCity/CP2020 I don't think anyone would react much to a handgun or small SMG.
But anyone other then law enforcement/military lugging assault rifles and such around can, and should, be cause for alarm.

Given the level of violence/risk in the society of NightCity/CP2020 I don't think anyone would react much to a handgun or small SMG.
But anyone other then law enforcement/military lugging assault rifles and such around can, and should, be cause for alarm.
I assumed that even in grim future there are still places where you're not allowed to be armed without your host's knowledge. Being forced to conceal only big guns makes stealth approach less problematic without removing the option, but I am not planning for going around with such weapons at this point of my character's concept.

I think we should have the option to have holsters for any weapon, trunks to store our gear and even a duffle-bag/backpack for good measure (if we wish to hold many pistols and micro SMGs, kind of similar to Last of Us). Though I'll admit that Max Payne 3 got it right as well.

I know I'm late to the discussion. But personally I think the picture of the heavily-armed fellow at the top of the first page is bloody hilarious.
I could see a crazy old survivalist coot armed up to the eyeballs like that.

Top Bottom