Being Visibly Armed,Holsters and Trunks

+
These were my thoughts on it from the prior pages:

Hmmm yes i saw, but unfortunately that doesnt take into consideration weapon size/bulk. Clothing would need to be sculpted and flowing in order to conceal the items as well which puts things on an entirely different level of complexity. Not saying it can't be done either way but sometimes you need to cut some realism to make things more cost/time friendly.

It is the horrible truth of game development, what do sacrifice for cosmetic fluff/realism. It also is dependent on how robust the REDengine is as well if it can even accomodate many of the ideas will remain to be seen.

Not sure how they plan to do clothing physics, but one shortcut I can see is that a weapon in a concealed holster slot (like, under your trenchcoat) isn't drawn / rendered, until you go to draw it / equip it for use.

Naturally, this can present other problems with immersion breaking (...how is my character sitting down in a booth, with a shotgun under their trenchcoat?...)

As you noted, it depends on how robust the engine is, and how they decide to build out the game.

I'm guessing RED engine can handle it based on what TW2 did. Swords were on the back, axes and clubs at the belt. Maybe we'll get both: an inventory and realistic depiction of holstered weapons.

Hmm...

What if they made a couple of animations for weapon slings (over the shoulder sling, across the back sling, under the arm sling, etc.) and just swapped out the weapon model? That way, they could re-use the same animation, instead of having to create a separate animation for each weapon.

Example:

You have a under-shoulder tactial sling, so you can conceal your weapon under your trenchcoat. In that slot, you can then choose whether to carry your SMG, your shotgun, or your bullpup caseless assault rifle. The animation for drawing the weapon would remain the same (or virtually identical, if your shotgun doesn't have a pistol grip.)

/edit

Riffing off Wisdom's idea, if you had a hip or thigh holster, the drawing animation would be the same, for the same weapon class. Any Pistol in a hip or thigh holster would use the same animation to draw the weapon.

All for it, sounds similar to the system for ArmA2. 2 proxies for weopons slung on the back, main rifle, and Rocket launcher, and one for pistols on the hip. The addition of under shoulder and (I'll add) boot are perfect for the CP world.

Not sure how they plan to do clothing physics, but one shortcut I can see is that a weapon in a concealed holster slot (like, under your trenchcoat) isn't drawn / rendered, until you go to draw it / equip it for use.

Naturally, this can present other problems with immersion breaking (...how is my character sitting down in a booth, with a shotgun under their trenchcoat?...)

maybe by taking your coat off? i don't think it will be really hard to make an animation for it.

All for it, sounds similar to the system for ArmA2. 2 proxies for weopons slung on the back, main rifle, and Rocket launcher, and one for pistols on the hip. The addition of under shoulder and (I'll add) boot are perfect for the CP world.

Just disallow anything larger than a handgun, or small SMG from being concealed, solves the problem without to much fuss... a shotgun under a long coat isn't really all that concealed anyway..

My ideal version would be a SMG/PDW on a sling, under a long coat, pistol on either a leg/waist holster

Maybe a combat chest rig with mags/grenades etc

Totally concealed until you need to use them.

I think the Watch Dogs trailer showed a flowing long coat so could have animation for drawing your weapons fit around this

Or it can be like this!

View attachment 605

the holsters that are in this game are well tough! and nothing looks like is floating or some sh*t.

I agree with this thread!

Attachments

• rdr-john-marston-near-saloon.jpg
    rdr-john-marston-near-saloon.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 36
Well, you’re not the only person playing and buying their games so maybe they should go with what they feel is the most plausible, eh :| ?

haha don't get me wrong I like equipment burden but for people who aren't us it doesn't really add much and just makes the game tedious.

My ideal version would be a SMG/PDW on a sling, under a long coat, pistol on either a leg/waist holster

Maybe a combat chest rig with mags/grenades etc

Totally concealed until you need to use them.

I think the Watch Dogs trailer showed a flowing long coat so could have animation for drawing your weapons fit around this

It'd be cool if we had some stylish animations going on. Extra animation like taunts and gunslinging with stylish trenchcoat drapery animation not too wild and unrealistic like DMC.

Or Imagine you are in a corporate building on an assassination mission, with just a pistol in a concealed holster on the back of your waist, find the target, animation shows you drawing, shooting, holstering and then calmly walking away

Good suggestions & I agree. An idea I'd like to add is for the character's weapon to be consistent through transitional phases between gameplay & cut-scenes. If you were equipped with an assault rifle after taking out a wave of enemies during gameplay, then the assault rifle should still coexist with the character when a cut-scene initiates.

An idea I'd like to add is for the character's weapon to be consistent through transitional phases between gameplay & cut-scenes. If you were equipped with an assault rifle after taking out a wave of enemies during gameplay, then the assault rifle should still coexist with the character when a cut-scene initiates.
Agreed; while I understand the logic behind a pre-rendered cutscene, I appreciate when games use the live model of your character, however they may be armed / dressed.

yeah, it really sucks when I kill someone with a pistol yet the cut scene shows a assault rifle despite the fact my class cannot use one

I seem to recall Mass Effect doing this

I feel the easiest and most viable solution is to take a 'common sense' approach.

Whenever a new weapon or bit of tech is designed to be used in game, it will have a pre-designed size and shape. The items size and shape will also determine weight and encumbrance values.

When the item is designed the designer will take into account how it can be stored and used whilst in game.

For example;

Ammunition, such as magazines, have pre-defined size and shapes, their weight can be calculated in proportion to the rounds held within it. Pouches have already been designed to hold them which can attach in varies ways (vests, webbing, harnesses and backpacks). The common sense approach would dictate the you can only carry as many magazines as the amount of pouches you have.

Small weapon systems, such as pistols, again have pre-defined sizes and shapes, again their weight can be calculated. Holsters and harnesses have already been designed. The common sense approach would dictate that you could only accommodate two leg harnesses or two shoulder harnesses (for example).

Large weapon systems, such as M16's or AK47's, also have pre-defined sizes and shapes, again their weights can be calculated. Slings have been designed to attach them to the body. The common sense approach would be that, although you may be able to sling one or even two large weapons to your body, neither weapon would be easily accessible and would effect your ability to move quickly or stealthily.

Technical items (And others to saves me attempting to explain everything :) ), such as laptops, explosives, drugs, sunglasses, knuckle dusters and everything else, would also have their pre-defined shapes and sizes which can also be calculated. The common sense approach would be that only so many items would fit into bags, pouches or pockets.

Rucksacks and bags would have predefined sizes and shapes, they would also have max. weight limits. This would limit rucksacks being used to carry small planetary bodies worth or items :)

Of course, the game would never be able to calculate every aspect of this, there will always be the argument that one person could fit two grenades in a pocket, but another could fit three (at a squeeze). To that end, we, should also accept the common sense approach and accept that a laptop, SMG and explosive device will fit in rucksack, but a small grenade exceeds the rucksacks pre-defined maximum weight value.

That's my thoughts on it... :)

I feel the easiest and most viable solution is to take a 'common sense' approach.

Whenever a new weapon or bit of tech is designed to be used in game, it will have a pre-designed size and shape. The items size and shape will also determine weight and encumbrance values.

When the item is designed the designer will take into account how it can be stored and used whilst in game.

For example;

Ammunition, such as magazines, have pre-defined size and shapes, their weight can be calculated in proportion to the rounds held within it. Pouches have already been designed to hold them which can attach in varies ways (vests, webbing, harnesses and backpacks). The common sense approach would dictate the you can only carry as many magazines as the amount of pouches you have.

Small weapon systems, such as pistols, again have pre-defined sizes and shapes, again their weight can be calculated. Holsters and harnesses have already been designed. The common sense approach would dictate that you could only accommodate two leg harnesses or two shoulder harnesses (for example).

Large weapon systems, such as M16's or AK47's, also have pre-defined sizes and shapes, again their weights can be calculated. Slings have been designed to attach them to the body. The common sense approach would be that, although you may be able to sling one or even two large weapons to your body, neither weapon would be easily accessible and would effect your ability to move quickly or stealthily.

Technical items (And others to saves me attempting to explain everything :) ), such as laptops, explosives, drugs, sunglasses, knuckle dusters and everything else, would also have their pre-defined shapes and sizes which can also be calculated. The common sense approach would be that only so many items would fit into bags, pouches or pockets.

Rucksacks and bags would have predefined sizes and shapes, they would also have max. weight limits. This would limit rucksacks being used to carry small planetary bodies worth or items :)

Of course, the game would never be able to calculate every aspect of this, there will always be the argument that one person could fit two grenades in a pocket, but another could fit three (at a squeeze). To that end, we, should also accept the common sense approach and accept that a laptop, SMG and explosive device will fit in rucksack, but a small grenade exceeds the rucksacks pre-defined maximum weight value.

That's my thoughts on it... :)

Your thoughts reflect mine. I couldn't agree more.

Top Bottom