Being Visibly Armed,Holsters and Trunks

+
That's the kind of system that fits "collector games". The ones like Fallout, Skyrim or Borderlands, where the game revolves around collecting equipment and novelty items. It has a very casual feel. I'm not against casual, but it's not for a game like this.

That's the kind of system that fits "collector games". The ones like Fallout, Skyrim or Borderlands, where the game revolves around collecting equipment and novelty items. It has a very casual feel. I'm not against casual, but it's not for a game like this.

Nah, that's more of the "Weapons Racks upon Weapons Racks upon Mannequins in your house". Bein visibly armed and with detail is more of just making your character an ideal vision of somebody from the game world. It makes it seem more real. And games like this have much to do with character customization, making sure you create a unique character as the game progresses.

Unless you're military, a cop, or a certified security/bodyguard walking down the street visibly armed SHOULD result in strange looks and a few questions by the cops at the very least.

Unless you're military, a cop, or a certified security/bodyguard walking down the street visibly armed SHOULD result in strange looks and a few questions by the cops at the very least.

Yes when not holstered, just like in Hitman Absolution.

Agreed.
Even military personnel are not allowed a gun if not on duty.
If you want to display your nice toys of mass destruction, just go in the CZ with a nice tage "SHOOT ME".

If carrying a sword is acceptable in a med-fan setting (and you may have trouble at the King's court for carrying that nice rapier), carrying a fire-arm in most places is not. There was a nice article about that in the "Listen Up, You Primitive Screwheads" referee guide. Displaying weapons heavier than a light pistol is at least frowned upon in most parts of NC.

Agreed.
Even military personnel are not allowed a gun if not on duty.
If you want to display your nice toys of mass destruction, just go in the CZ with a nice tage "SHOOT ME".

If carrying a sword is acceptable in a med-fan setting (and you may have trouble at the King's court for carrying that nice rapier), carrying a fire-arm in most places is not. There was a nice article about that in the "Listen Up, You Primitive Screwheads" referee guide. Displaying weapons heavier than a light pistol is at least frowned upon in most parts of NC.

Then again, in a crime ridden, anarchistic city of NC, one would think that NOT carrying a gun would get you in more trouble than carrying one.

Nah, that's more of the "Weapons Racks upon Weapons Racks upon Mannequins in your house". Bein visibly armed and with detail is more of just making your character an ideal vision of somebody from the game world. It makes it seem more real. And games like this have much to do with character customization, making sure you create a unique character as the game progresses.

I hope I get to carry big guns in the trunk of my car.

All of this I agree with...

Then again, in a crime ridden, anarchistic city of NC, one would think that NOT carrying a gun would get you in more trouble than carrying one.
I would say that if you were carrying a large gun you would be seen as a threat and you would get weird looks though, however carrying a pistol would be normal in such a setting.

I would say that if you were carrying a large gun you would be seen as a threat and you would get weird looks though, however carrying a pistol would be normal in such a setting.

A pistol is not only normal, but recommended. You still have to be registered of course, but after the collapse, as crime and violence escalated, laws were passed in Northern California and other states allowing everyone legally registered to automatically be qualified for concealed carry and the process was simplified, most people get the registration at the same time they get their drivers license. Of course you still have to register your handguns, but this is as easy as calling an automated line and giving the serial number of the weapon... they run it against your SIN number to make sure you are legally allowed to own the weapon (are registered, aren't a felon, etc...), then automatically sync it to your ID. Most gun stores offer this as a free of charge service for instant verification... including the Polymer 1 shot Vending machines.

Crime ridden, yes.
Anarchic, no.
You may carry a gun for self defense.
Carrying an assault rifle is a plain invitation for troubles if not in CZ or some hot neighborhood. In Corpo Plaza, it's just an invitation to be shot down. Corp sec, cops, vigilantes, average citizen, mob hitters, ... tend to get nervous when the see a weapon totting freak in the alleys. Gangers tend to see victims instead.

I think we should distinguish the environment of Night City before we decide what is acceptable, unacceptable and what is frowned upon.

I have spent time reading forums and fan sites referencing Cyberpunk 2020 to better understand R.Talsorian's view of his creation.

I link this extract by way of reference;

Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0 is the second edition of the "Roleplaying game of the dark future" by R.Talsorian games. It is set in a the year 2020 of a dystopic alternate timeline starting 1990 where the world economy, social and political order has collapsed multiple times, and is in an ongoing disarray. Huge multinational corporations are the new powers that be, while most sovereign states have been forced to become supporting entities for the former. Technology, especially cybernetic augmentation and the Net has permeated the globe, but combined with the greatly deepened socio-economic chasm between the rich and the poor, such technologies have quite extraordinary, techno-primitive manifestations at the street level.

The characters in Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0 are the edgerunners. Independent souls that have rejected both the polished slavery of the giant corporations and the squalid misery of the street, they embrace their changing world and take control of their destinies. They have chips in their brains, interface plugs in their wrists, binary code in their soul. They are the cyberpunks.

My understanding is that Talsorian very much wanted a realistic environment, close to the attitudes people had in the 1980's. I have also used popular films for reference (Bladrunner, Robocop, etc).

In a world where security and safety is reserved for the rich and powerful. People have become accustomed to carrying personal side arms for their own protection, but this is only seen in the slums and poorer districts.

In the larger cities it is still socially unacceptable (and illegal) to carry weapons. This does not seem to stop the private security forces that can afford to pay the police to look in the other direction.

However, in the boostergang districts (And any other gangs), where police presence is non-existent, social niceties are thrown out the window. The gangs become the law, and have their own rules. However, if your not in the gang, you will defiantly not be aloud any visible weapon, or you will be deemed a threat, and most likely shot.

I think my conclusion is summed up like this. If your in the large cities and not a cop, private security force or very rich, then the cops will stop you if your carrying an overt weapon, they might be bribed to look the other way, confiscate the weapon, or just arrest you.

If your in the slums or poor districts, then you can get away with 'personal protection' weapons, the police, if there is any, will probably turn a blind eye. That being said, strolling around with an AK47, will raise some eyebrows, any may attract unwanted attention.

If your in the gang territories, and not part of the gang, watch out. Your more likely to be shot on sight for being a threat than anything else.

To that end, covert weapons, small weapons placed under coats (even SMG's can be covert in a shoulder sling under a jacket) would be your everyday setup, and you would only 'tool up' on a specific operations.

That's pretty accurate in most people's 2020 games, Risen. Nicely summed up.

It's exactly why every weapon in the game also has a Concealment rating, something very rarely seen in games. It's vital.

That's pretty accurate in most people's 2020 games, Risen. Nicely summed up.

It's exactly why every weapon in the game also has a Concealment rating, something very rarely seen in games. It's vital.

Agreed. It's also why I did Ultrachrome, because looking at the weapon makes a difference even beyond a simple rating. Some pockets are pigger than others...not that the video game needs to be that precise, but my PNP games sure do.

And smaller! One of the early GM rulings in our first game came when the Ref saw pictures of some of the weapons and ruled which were and weren't reasonably long-coat concealable. Some assault rifles were!

And smaller! One of the early GM rulings in our first game came when the Ref saw pictures of some of the weapons and ruled which were and weren't reasonably long-coat concealable. Some assault rifles were!

Amen, you are only gonna fool people so long as you stand still and don't try to sit down or climb stairs most of the time, but what you can hide under a long coat is pretty remarkable...

Heh, so true. Players that figure their concealability rating is a magic invisibility coat. "What do you mean he spotted my Heavy SMG when I ordered the appetizers?! It's in my COAT!"

It'd be cool if some enemies can see through concealment with augmented eyes or intuition.

Or even an Awareness check vs difficulty rating - concealment, plus modifiers! That uses your character's skills and gear to see stuff that you, the player, cannot see. That's why the PnP has the skills and hopefully why 2077 will include many of them. Not photography though - that one just sucks.

Top Bottom