Bekker's Twisted Mirror: GWENT Off-Topic

+
In general, I think it could be interesting to know the (psychological) cause for phobias such as trichophobia (fear of hair), erythrophobia (fear of blushing), or logophobia (fear of words).

There's probably a phobia for everything. There's a phobia of chickens, even. It's called alektorophobia.

Eh, that doesn't ring true to me. Rodents were hunted by all sorts of beasties but very few of them elicit the same response from humans that spiders do. I think it has something to do with the fact that spiders look so different from us. You can relate to a mammal, it has 2 eyes, a nose, 4 limbs just like we do but spiders and other invertebrates look too unfamiliar, too alien and that unsettles us.

Ah, but if that's the case, why is fear of spiders and fear of snakes almost universal across all humans? Why not other "alien-looking" organisms? Why not squid, or beetles, or jellyfish, or glow worms? Why do other spider-esque things, like crabs, not elicit a phobic response as regularly? Of course, anything can develop into a phobia, but it's odd for a particular phobia to be almost universally steady across all cultures. That speaks of instinctual reaction, and instinct is only gained through generations of repetition, usually as a matter of survival. Plus, both spiders and snakes are primary predators of small rodents. (These rodents, in particular, were about the size of large cat, but the snakes and spiders were also far larger due to the increased oxygen saturation of the atmosphere at the time, so it would have been roughly the same proportions as modern day.)

When discussing phobias, it's essential to mention hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia (fear of long words).

In general, I think it could be interesting to know the (psychological) cause for phobias such as trichophobia (fear of hair), erythrophobia (fear of blushing), or logophobia (fear of words).

Something like a fear of heights, spiders, or water is easier to understand, since it's obvious that, and how, those things can be dangerous.

I know -- it's endlessly interesting. I'm willing to believe that there is a deeply logical psychology behind most phobias, but at other times, the brain just goes bonkers.

So basically...
1) Dementors are what Harry fears the most, as evidenced by his Boggart.
2) Lupin says that what Harry fears the most is fear itself.
3) Dementors = fear itself
4) Phobia = fear
5) Phobophobia = fear of phobias
6) Fear of phobias = fear of fear
7) Fear of fear = fear of Dementors
8) Phobophobia = fear of Dementors

:unsure:

So basically...
4) Phobia = fear

So, what if I have a phobia of phobophobia? :unsure: Like, the fear of having a fear of phobias?

We are hitting fearception levels that were untaught of before.

So basically...
4) Phobia = fear

Ahhh...

...yup. It checks out.

That is one rude potato.
Post automatically merged:

Most difficult name? 4RM3D. I'm still not entirely clear on the proper pronunciation. . . .

I know it's meant to be pronounced as "forearmed" because he once had a signature that said "Forewarned is forearmed", but now I realize that "4" could also be viewed as a stylish "A"... Could our dear moderator's name actually be "Armed"? That would suggest that he has a much more aggressive stance than we first anticipated. His motivations have now become suspect!

Last edited:
now I realize that "4" could also be viewed as a stylish "A"... Could our dear moderator's name actually be "Armed"?

It's "Armed", yes, 4RM3D and dangerous. RMD being my initials, which kinda sounds like armed.

I know it's meant to be pronounced as "forearmed" [...]

offtopic D:

I cant go out gwent ideations
xD I'm thinking about card that heal with damage dealt to your allyies

Bart see vampire in new cards. Bart wonder if Shupe vampires like? Shupe troll is, vampire blood no easy suck can. @Rawls, Shupe vampire in soup put? Bart think good may be, but never taste. No vampire in cellar is.

Geralt vampires kill, partner be could if vampire soup trolls make want! Geralt busy gwent play, cards search... but ask no hurt can.

Top Bottom