Bekker's Twisted Mirror: GWENT Off-Topic

+

So many comments about the THX logo, it's hilarious.
That thing really is SUPER loud in the one game I remember it from.

However, even if we wanted to fight the hard sound in there, there's one more issue: dipthong.
Only about two months late replying to this, but, better late than never.

Since Tolkien based the language of Rohan on Anglo-Saxon, wherein an ng would always have a hard value, I find it extremely doubtful it would be pronounced as you suggested.

In phonetics, diphthongs most commonly describe double vowels in a single syllable, and I find no mention of consonants. For example, the ae in mediaeval is a diphthong (or ligature), as is the ea in meat -- to use a humbler example -- and even the Eo in Eorlingas, or the ea in the modern English title earl (eorl being the Anglo-Saxon). However, I believe the topic of combined or silent letters is worth exploring a bit.

While looking into gnocchi, which is an intriguing little word, I stumbled on an interesting coincidence. The pronunciation of gnocchi can be rather confusing (nyôk'kē, in Italian, according to my dictionary), which is what led me to the discovery. The word is, apparently, Langobardic in origin. The Langobards were a Germanic, rather than Italic, folk, and thus the word is related to our modern English 'knuckle', both etymologically, and in direct meaning. (Note the shape of the pasta.) Strangely, this word knuckle is related to Frisian, rather than Anglo-Saxon, whereby it resembles the German more closely (Knöchel, a diminutive of Knochen, 'bone').

Curiously enough, the k in knuckle is silent in modern English pronunciation, like the g in the Italian gnocchi; however, in Germanic languages, including Old English (Anglo-Saxon), Middle English, and even early modern English, the k was -- and in German still is -- voiced. Thus, knight, knee, knuckle, knave, and know were all hard-k, or hard-c, sounds, rather than silent. I don't recall the precise reason for the shift in modern English.

With this amusing detour in mind, based on the hard Germanic pronunciations, I still think the ng in Eorlingas was meant to be hard, as in finger, the example Tolkien offered in the appendix on pronunciation in the Lord of the Rings.

Since Tolkien based the language of Rohan on Anglo-Saxon, wherein an ng would always have a hard value, I find it extremely doubtful it would be pronounced as you suggested.

In phonetics, diphthongs most commonly describe double vowels in a single syllable, and I find no mention of consonants. For example, the ae in mediaeval is a diphthong (or ligature), as is the ea in meat -- to use a humbler example -- and even the Eo in Eorlingas, or the ea in the modern English title earl (eorl being the Anglo-Saxon). However, I believe the topic of combined or silent letters is worth exploring a bit.

While looking into gnocchi, which is an intriguing little word, I stumbled on an interesting coincidence. The pronunciation of gnocchi can be rather confusing (nyôk'kē, in Italian, according to my dictionary), which is what led me to the discovery. The word is, apparently, Langobardic in origin. The Langobards were a Germanic, rather than Italic, folk, and thus the word is related to our modern English 'knuckle', both etymologically, and in direct meaning. (Note the shape of the pasta.) Strangely, this word knuckle is related to Frisian, rather than Anglo-Saxon, whereby it resembles the German more closely (Knöchel, a diminutive of Knochen, 'bone').

Curiously enough, the k in knuckle is silent in modern English pronunciation, like the g in the Italian gnocchi; however, in Germanic languages, including Old English (Anglo-Saxon), Middle English, and even early modern English, the k was -- and in German still is -- voiced. Thus, knight, knee, knuckle, knave, and know were all hard-k, or hard-c, sounds, rather than silent. I don't recall the precise reason for the shift in modern English.

With this amusing detour in mind, based on the hard Germanic pronunciations, I still think the ng in Eorlingas was meant to be hard, as in finger, the example Tolkien offered in the appendix on pronunciation in the Lord of the Rings.

Hmmm...that part about the German influence sounds familiar. I may be wrong. Welp -- time to dig out my old, leather-bound mega-book and thumb through the appendices again! (But based on what you've said here, though, I'm probably mistaken.)

I recently read an article about something related:
Most interesting. I'll note that the Old English words were isern, irsen, and, more often, isen (which we may recognise in Tolkien's Isengard). This latter most closely resembles the modern German Eisen. However, the word for iron appears to take a wide variety of forms in various related languages, with alternating positions, and presence, of r and s.

interesting... I'm east-frisian but I always incorrectly say "gnochy" with a spoken g although there's actually a german word for Gnocchi which is Nocken.
Knöchel (German, with a spoken k) can either mean finger-knuckle(s), or ankle(s) [more commonly].
In Frisian and Dutch enkel means ankle so that's obviously the same term, but I don't know the Frisian word for knuckle. It might be something like knokkel [nuckle with a spoken k] but it could also be something completely different...

I don't know the Frisian word for knuckle. It might be something like knokkel [nuckle with a spoken k] but it could also be something completely different...
According to my etymological dictionary, the English word appears to correspond to Old Frisian knok(e)le. However, I can't trace it much further. I have more experience in German than in Dutch or Frisian.

Old Frisian knok(e)le
That seems to be a diminutive of east-frysian knak/knaak/knok/knook which definitely means bone. (the a tends to sound more like an o)
e.g. bonesetter means knakenbreker
I assume knok has the same origin as Knochen:
On this map you can see the distribution of frisian languages. Since East-Frisia is part of Germany, it's possible that the term has been used among seafarers and brought to more western regions. However, the dutch Frisians seem to say bot or bonke instead.
Fun fact: Most people use their knuckles in order to knock on a door.

Top Bottom