Best damage type to get for guns?

+
Chemical (poison), physical (bleeding), thermal (burn), electrical (stun).

I was looking at poison, since there are some perks in the Stealth tree that mildly enhance its damage. But I don't know enough about the individual damage types to make good judgment here. For example... So electrical damage can stun. How long does that last? Doesn't burn effectively cause the enemy to be stunned and take damage at the same time? Do one of these last longer than the rest? How long do they last? Which does more damage? What else do they do?

Seems like this would be useful to know when creating or upgrading guns.

They all work. If you are using high rate of fire weapons (like SMGs), make sure to find the gun mod that increases damage based status effects by 5% (you'll regularly set people on fire with high rate of fire weapons), and make sure to invest in the breaching protocol perks that drop enemy resistances to both physical and environmental damage.
Post automatically merged:

Personally I like burn, added damage and it stuns them while they are on fire.

All of the environmental damage types do, to my knowledge.

Fenrir is a iconic SMG that you can get realy early in the game...
its realy powerfull if you like SMGs and thermal damage

Yeah that's kind of a shame. SMGs are the one thing I've pretty much not touched. Though I did have some fun with a smart SMG. Never been a big fan of needing to engage in protracted shootouts to get the job done. And since I more or less settled upon the tech tree (it's either that or don't get the best weapons/armor), charging shots is a big part of my gameplay. I feel like charging shots and SMGs mix the least well.

But it sounds like people like burn a lot. Was hoping I might glean some figures on whether burn does the most damage or if there's an actual point to poison.

Attidd

Forum regular
Shotguns are the best at this, because it has a % chance to inflict for each individual bullet. When you get a mod for 5% more chance, you have practically a 100% chance to inflict status effect. Burn kills all enemies in a single duration.. With shotty you knock people down, let the burn tick them away and move onto the next person. You can one shot kill enemies with the burn even if you got no perks for shotty.

I'm keen for sniper rifles, especially the one from the boxing line of quests. Although I did the boxing quests pretty late game, so the Sniper was pretty high level with it.

Shotguns are the best at this, because it has a % chance to inflict for each individual bullet. When you get a mod for 5% more chance, you have practically a 100% chance to inflict status effect. Burn kills all enemies in a single duration.. With shotty you knock people down, let the burn tick them away and move onto the next person. You can one shot kill enemies with the burn even if you got no perks for shotty.

Yeah, along with SMGs, I can imagine shotguns work well, too.

High rate of fire/reload pistols do a decent job of applying effects, with the caveat that although I have modded mine for a higher ROF, I haven't modded it to increase the chance of status effects.

Since even at the highest level everything is dead with two three shots, in the later course of the game instant, Damage over time is quite pointless. Bosses don't have a universal solution because they have different immunities

Honestly, it doesn't matter all that much. But if you really want to go for one:
Poison has scaling abilities in the stealth tree (under Cool). There are abilities to double your poison damage, deal more damage to poisoned enemies, and slow poisoned enemies.
Burn also has a skill in annihilation that doubles it's duration.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think any of the other ones have any scaling with any skill trees, so those are your best bets.

You can stack so much +dmg from so many sources that DoTs are completely and utterly meaningless on guns.

Honestly, it doesn't matter all that much. But if you really want to go for one:
Poison has scaling abilities in the stealth tree (under Cool). There are abilities to double your poison damage, deal more damage to poisoned enemies, and slow poisoned enemies.
Burn also has a skill in annihilation that doubles it's duration.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think any of the other ones have any scaling with any skill trees, so those are your best bets.

isnt bleeding linked with blades?

I'm always a fan of electrical damage, whether it's fantasy lightning spells or something like CP. Also a LOT of enemies seem to have electrical vulnerability (kinda makes sense considering cyberware, I guess).

There is no big difference unfortunately. They are pretty interchangeable, just go for your favorite (visually). Super superfluous system really.

I like the acid cause it melts their faces, there are some intelligence perks that increase weakness damage.

The stun baton I have has chance to inflict bleed and electric. I went blades for bleed stacking. I do not know if it stacks when guns apply it, however I often have enemies bleed out and prefer it because I sometimes assume damage type splitting will give me inconsistent damage vs all physical is always the same. Stacked bleeds on bosses did good damage but the effects never lasted long. Sandevistan + mantis blade jumping is so satisfying too. Highly reccomend.

isnt bleeding linked with blades?

Each damage type has it's own Damage over time effect. Bleed is the physical DOT, Poison is the chemical DOT, Shock is the Electrical DOT, Fire is the Thermal DOT etc.

To answer the question, yes, bleed is linked with blade weapons due to some perks but its not exclusive to them. Any gun/ranged weapon can roll with physical damage.

Top Bottom