Best possible replacement for emotes/chat ['whack opponent with stick']

+
Best possible replacement for emotes/chat ['whack opponent with stick']

If you've read the books and know the origins of the fine game that is Gwent, you also know that the players were always accompanied by big sticks to hit one another with.

"The game ran loudly and violently, and each player sat with a big stick next to him. They rarely used the sticks, but they were often waved about." - Baptism of Fire

How then can it be that the new Gwent is missing this key element? There's been a lot of talk about ruining the "core of Gwent" but this right here is the by far the biggest tragedy. A Gwent without sticks is like this very analogy - absolutely pointless!

:youdontsay:

I hereby suggest a "whack opponent with stick" button be added to the game - the perfect response to lucky plays, clever plays, good draws, bad draws - anything you can imagine. When the button is pressed a big stick would WHACK the enemy leader, who would naturally respond with some choice words. Endless entertainment!

Of course you may not like getting hit yourself - which is why there should be a block button aswell, which secretly makes you immune to any whacks in the next dozen seconds. If your opponent would be foolish enough to whack at too obvious and expected a moment, a well timed block will instead deliver a COUNTER-WHACK. This is not only entertaining but also demonstrates your skill at bluffing and reading your opponent - masterful design.

Who needs chat or emotes when you can simply whack the opponent? True to Gwents roots, a whack works in any situation and can have any number of meanings behind it. Truly the most versatile tool for communicating with your lousy opponents!

Last edited:

mjul

Forum veteran
If you've read the books and know the origins of the fine game that is Gwent, you also know that the players were always accompanied by big sticks to hit one another with.

"The game ran loudly and violently, and each player sat with a big stick next to him. They rarely used the sticks, but they were often waved about." - Baptism of Fire

How then can it be that the new Gwent is missing this key element? There's been a lot of talk about ruining the "core of Gwent" but this right here is the by far the biggest tragedy. A Gwent without sticks is like this very analogy - absolutely pointless!

:youdontsay:

I hereby suggest a "whack opponent with stick" button be added to the game - the perfect response to lucky plays, clever plays, good draws, bad draws - anything you can imagine. When the button is pressed a big stick would WHACK the enemy leader, who would naturally respond with some choice words. Endless entertainment!

Of course you may not like getting hit yourself - which is why there should be a block button aswell, which secretly makes you immune to any whacks in the next dozen seconds. If your opponent would be foolish enough to whack at too obvious and expected a moment, a well timed block will instead deliver a COUNTER-WHACK. This is not only entertaining but also demonstrates your skill at bluffing and reading your opponent - masterful design.

Who needs chat or emotes when you can simply whack the opponent? True to Gwents roots, a whack works in any situation and can have any number of meanings behind it. Truly the most versatile tool for communicating with your lousy opponents!

I'm so much for this, I can't even say how much. This would be an awesome, if a bit goofy, feature.
The best part is that it would lighten the mood a bit from the endless drama and the grim darkness that is the Witcher universe. A bit of levity and humour can always go a long way.

Last edited:
I absolutely freakin LOVE this idea!!! It would be awesome if this got implemented. It might need some work to not be abusable/annoying, but the premise is superb.

mjul

Forum veteran
I am 100 % behind it, although people would abuse it :)

You can work around by limiting the number of whacks per game, by making a whack possible only after the enemy removes one of your units (and you have to know when to counter) or in some other specific circumstance (like playing a gold card), by limiting the number of whacks per day etc.

It's possible and could be more fun the anything else in the game!

LoL.
I'm gonna go ahead and steal the line of one of our "dicord" chat members:

In before Yennefer saying "What is it with men and their sticks?"

Only if it's limited to one whack per ROUND, so 3 maximum in a game. Would hate to be on the receiving end of someone spamming that non stop.

Somethings are better left in the books. I don't know, I just feel it would agrivate me, if lets say that it's clear that i lost, having the opponent wacking me tauntingly. If most people weren't a'holes, then by all means. But we know it's the internet and it has trolls, lolts of trolls

It needs to be in the game ,, you're allowed only 1 wack in the whole match and your opponent can counter it like in Aroundofgwent's thread

Top Bottom