BEST scene in the game or how I realized this is the best game I've played in years!

+
BEST scene in the game or how I realized this is the best game I've played in years!

I know, I know, some people here are nitpicking the numerous ingame flaws and they do exist, I won't deny it. But! They don't spoil anything for me even on my second playthrough, because the story in this game is so frikking awesome (especially awesome if you've read the books)! And I've come to realize exactly which moment in the game elevated The Witcher 3 to the top of my Best Games Ever list.

This is it - Geralt reunites with Ciri:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBoci7pdpaY

The feels! Imho, The Witcher 3 should be GOTY just because of that scene alone. After that cutscene main story just gained momentum and started rolling down like a giant snowball of awesome, crushing every other games' plots I've ever played into dust. CDPR, you magnificent bastards, how have you managed to make the story so good in all the right places, without any missteps or unfaithfulness to the books? It's a rethorical question, you don't have to answer, just give a giant salary boost to the guys who worked on the plot - they're geniuses.

True. Easily one of the best scenes in the game. Perfect atmosphere and really a goosebumps moment for me. :wub: :unworthy:

Although that stupid dwarves quest right before the scene in the hut with Ciri on the Isle of Mists is completely unnecessary and kind of misplaced. The questline on the isle would have been better and even more atmospheric without that quest...

I know, I know, some people here are nitpicking the numerous ingame flaws and they do exist, I won't deny it. But! They don't spoil anything for me even on my second playthrough, because the story in this game is so frikking awesome (especially awesome if you've read the books)! And I've come to realize exactly which moment in the game elevated The Witcher 3 to the top of my Best Games Ever list.

This is it - Geralt reunites with Ciri:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBoci7pdpaY

The feels! Imho, The Witcher 3 should be GOTY just because of that scene alone. After that cutscene main story just gained momentum and started rolling down like a giant snowball of awesome, crushing every other games' plots I've ever played into dust. CDPR, you magnificent bastards, how have you managed to make the story so good in all the right places, without any missteps or unfaithfulness to the books? It's a rethorical question, you don't have to answer, just give a giant salary boost to the guys who worked on the plot - they're geniuses.

I had two wet eyes moments in My playthrough: this and the bitter sweet ending. I friggin love everything about the story. Telltale who? :p Theres a new storytelling king in towm :p

Although that stupid dwarves quest right before the scene in the hut with Ciri on the Isle of Mists is completely unnecessary and kind of misplaced. The questline on the isle would have been better and even more atmospheric without that quest...

Those dwarves worked absolutely perfectly as set up for that whole scene, I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:
I am a grown man and I cried when I first saw that moment when I played. It felt real.

I don't think I've ever been as emotionally affected by a scene in a video game before.

---------- Updated at 01:03 PM ----------

Those dwarves worked absolutely perfectly as set up for that whole scene, I wouldn't change a thing.

I agree

---------- Updated at 01:07 PM ----------

I had two wet eyes moments in My playthrough: this and the bitter sweet ending. I friggin love everything about the story. Telltale who? :p Theres a new storytelling king in towm :p

Telltale doesn't even come close to the quality of storytelling in W3.

Last edited:
I am a grown man and I cried when I first saw that moment when I played. It felt real.

I don't think I've ever been as emotionally affected by a scene in a video game before.

It's simply another level of story-telling. Like I said in a different post here, my aunts and uncles during a recent reunion went from "a grown man playing a video game all day long?!" to watching me play all evening long in a matter of 2 days. And this was hardly the gaming crowd, average age 55. By the end of the week I had 7 people cuddled up around my TV/monitor watching this in awe. This included my 85 year old grandpa :p

This game just has that character-driven quality that I did not think was possible in gaming. When you combine a character-driven story with the ability to control it, it's just... yeah... It felt like a personal experience to me :)

I wish I could erase my memory and replay this game with fresh mind once again. Never before any game, book or movie made me so emotionaly attached as Witcher 3.

Ending Spoiler
When Geralt found Ciri in Tavern and credits hit the screen with breathtaking Clock and Dagger in background I cried like little bitch

Last edited:
my knees went numb at that point... kept thinking WHY DIDN'T I BREAK THE DOOR DOWN? WHY DID I F**KING TALK TO THE DWARVES? IF SHE'S DEAD, IT'S ON ME... and then... SWEET JOY! BEST SCENE INDEED, better than anything.

my knees went numb at that point... kept thinking WHY DIDN'T I BREAK THE DOOR DOWN? WHY DID I F**KING TALK TO THE DWARVES? IF SHE'S DEAD, IT'S ON ME.

::laughs:: I was thinking the same thing. Then the conversation you have after that, of course I chose the "I want to hear everything" option - all I wanted to do was sit there and listen to her talk forever without end!

Unfortunate side effect of "games must be full of Easter eggs and references to everything under the sun" phenomena... Snow White.

The Witcher books often payed homage to traditional fairytales, so in that respect I found it very in keeping with the themes of the series.

The reference is not the problem. The problem is that it's imo competely anti-atmospheric here. On top of that the quest is no fun at all.

Yup, I have to say Witcher 3 have some of the best, most engaging and most memorable in-game scenes for years despite all the criticism (I'm one of the critics as well).
Especially the Wolven Storm bard scene

It won't hurt to say Thank your again to CDPR :)

The closest game I had experience similar to Witcher 3 is Bioshock Infinite. Even Dragon Age series narration was nowhere as class as Witcher 3.

It's the magic moment like this that makes the game stands-out. Which is why when I finished the game and I can't find all the main characters (especially Yennefer & Triss), I suffer from PWSD (Post witcher stress disorder) lol.

That's the only thing that haunts me and other players who are now literally walking on an empty world (aside from side quests & contracts). Hopefully It'll change in the future :)

It's a nice scene, but I don't like the part from 1:54 to 2:14, it's just a little bit too cheesy for me. Is that supposed to be a reference to the books?

Last edited:
Phenomenal scene! Especially when Geralt picks up her lifeless body and holds her close to him thinking he has failed. Then suddenly the music, the light... and Ciri opening her eyes then strongly hugging him and you get to see her flashback with Geralt from when she was a young girl. Wow..

It's simply another level of story-telling. Like I said in a different post here, my aunts and uncles during a recent reunion went from "a grown man playing a video game all day long?!" to watching me play all evening long in a matter of 2 days. And this was hardly the gaming crowd, average age 55. By the end of the week I had 7 people cuddled up around my TV/monitor watching this in awe. This included my 85 year old grandpa :p

This game just has that character-driven quality that I did not think was possible in gaming. When you combine a character-driven story with the ability to control it, it's just... yeah... It felt like a personal experience to me :)

I guess that watching someone play the Witcher 3 is like watching a HBO drama series. And it might tell you something interesting about the person who is playing it, because of the moral choices they make. But, watching other people play video games is not for me, because I am a gamer myself, so I would rather spend the limited time that I have playing the game.

Last edited:
It was an excellent scene, and I share the sentiments of pretty much everyone above. My only nitpick is that I felt cheated when it was the elf (his glowing whisp) that brought her back from near death and not Geralt, especially since at this point in the game I still didn't trust him.

Well technically, it wasn't Avalach that 'woke' Ciri. He put her in that enchanted sleep, but according to the quest journal, it was the sheer power of Geralt and Ciri's combined destinies that caused the orb of light to fly to her and revive her, at least that's the interpretation I got :).

They purposefully hit you with light comic relief right before they let loose on the heavy stuff while your guard is down. It worked exactly as planned, imho.

This mini quest absolutely infuriated me. I knew Ciri was right there and they made me jump through hoops. It also spoiled Ciri's condition due to the Snow White reference.
The scene did make up for it however. As soon as Geralt opened the door I forgot all about those stupid dwarves. I hope Eredin slaughtered them and their boat after Ciri and Geralt left.

Top Bottom