Best Tactics vs Specific Monsters

+
Best Tactics vs Specific Monsters

I've noticed the the tactics the bestiary tells you to use vs specific monsters oftentimes are not the best tactics. So I am just wondering --what tactics have people discovered to use against specific monsters that contradicts what the bestiary reccomends?

For the purpose of this thread please avoid making posts about your BUILD. Your BUILD! is not the same thing as the TACTICS! you use to kill a monster. So please avoid posts like "I just burn everything to death because I have OVER 9,000 Sign Intensity!! IT"S F!@#ING INCREDIBLE!!!" Obviously, discussing tactics that requires a certain skill to work is okay though.

To help get things I started, I will shed some of my own wisdom on this matter :coffee:

Against Gargoyles the Bestiary reccomends using Demetrium Bombs, Quen, and Axxi.

In practive I have found that Demetrium Bombs and Axxi do not work. Axxi doesn't even seem to effect the Gargoyle (probably because my intensity is too low, but whatever.) And Demetrium Bombs disable your own signs if you're within range of the gas cloud --which you are, so long as you're using a melee build.

Solution: I found Yrden and Golden Oriel works the best. The Gargoyle's stomping attack has a wide AoE and hits like a truck! Yrden slows down his attack long enough for you to react by rolling out of the way. The Demetrium Bombs seem to be intended for preventing the Gargoyle from using a poison-spewing attack. But that can easily be countered by using Golden Oriel (immunity to poison) instead.

Against Grave Hags the Bestiary reccomends Black Blood, Yrden, and Quen.

In practice I found Quen and Black Blood to work poorly. Grave Hags usually attack in combos, which means the 1st attack breaks Quen and the 2nd two damage you. Black Blood only seems to procc when the Grave Had uses her toungue attack (which is rare) so its usefulness is limited against this monster.

Solution: Axxi works like a charm against this monster. Seriously --it's a one-button-to-win type scenario. Just stun, attack, roll out of the way, stun again, and repeat.

/discuss

Lol Grave hags and hags especially drowners can be instant kill using Aard. If you got any gear that increase sign intensity or your higher lvl than the mob or pure luck Aard is quite useful. Works w/ deathmarch.

For slower monster like golem, gargoyles and etc just use quen and 2nd tier yrrden.

I spam Quen too much personally when I attack monsters specially ones that are five levels or more above me. Read bestiary a lot and use those individual weaknesses to my benefit. I also enhance my weapons and armor.

Nekkers / Drowners / Humans / Hags - Aard, then 1 Hit KO. Use Igni if getting swamped.

Wraiths - Alternate Yrden.

Quen for good all purpose use.

Haven't fought many Gargoyles and Golems yet.

Last edited:
Nekkers / Drowners / Humans / Hags - Aard, then 1 Hit KO. Use Igni if getting swamped.

Wraiths - Alternate Yrden.

Quen for good all purpose use.

Having fought many Gargoyles and Golems yet.

I use Aard with nekkers i cannot seem to instant kill them.:comeatmebro:

On DM:

Wolves: Parry. Any non-Strong-attack/Rush atack critter that pack attacks. Also most humans. Watch out for Strong attacks, though.

Drowners and Ghouls and "rushers": Dodge.

Elementals and Wyverns and the like: Roll. Roollll like a mother&$%ker. And Quen up all the time.

Axii isn't bad..doesn't work on Wraiths too well.

Hags: whatever. Roll to avoid that spit..they are pretty easy. Too slow, too dead.

If I have time and I'm specced for it: Yrden Turret and Mind Control make a tough swarm laughably easy.

If I have Intensity over 100% or so: simple Igni, then swat them while they burn.

Pretty much anything:

Ekhidna Decoction. Whirl. Possible use of Quen or Yrden if you have tons of Adrenaline (for the Whirl attack, though it can be done with "any amount" of Stamina too).

With suitable oils, a decent weapon and appropriate use of skills to give Adrenaline when entering combat, more adrenaline per hit, and *possibly* use Adrenaline for signs this is very potent offensively. Some care needed not to be hit during the opening of the attack. (Dodge to flanks, keep Whirl length down and dodge away, to avoid charge attacks or AOE responses... So long as you aren't one shot, the Ekhidna will replenish Vitality every time you nibble at Stamina, and Whirl will use Stamina every time you initiate an attack... (or pause out of range to reset Quen or Yrden). This is my "goto" decoction... just need a little more Alchemy skill to permit using other potions at the same time... e.g. Tawny Owl.

Ok ty. I am guessing nekkers are just to fast.

You can actually chain a Nekker to death by just spamming fast attack and they won't be able to get a hit in. Of course, there are usually more than 1 around, so Igni in combination with fast attacks works out well.

---------- Updated at 10:55 AM ----------

Hags: whatever. Roll to avoid that spit..they are pretty easy. Too slow, too dead.

Pretty much. Encountered a level 20 Bilge Hag (I was level 11), and thought that it will give me a challenge, but Igni could easily burn it. Seems like this monster has an innate weakness to Igni, coz other higher level enemies would require much higher Intensity for burning.

Top Bottom