best voice acting of all time?

+
i played quite a few video games over the years.
but i dont think i have ever seen anything that comes close to performance of the voice actors in cp2077.
imho its a major factor why the characters feel so alive.

does this game have the best voice acting of all time?
what is your favourite work when it comes to voice acting in video games?

Top VA tied with 4 or 5 games I ever played out of hundreds played, yes ,but not the best. The 1st Planescape Torment is as good as 2077,imo off the top of my head.

I posted in another thread about how this game messes with emotions, and one of the reasons is the voice acting, the excellent writing and Cherami Leigh makes my female V real, not just a merc on the streets of Night City, but someone I end up caring about and hoping for a way out of the nightmare.

Jackie, Judy, Panam, River, Kerry all help to make you forget this is just pixels on a screen and surely that is the whole point. I am just sad that many people will be put off by all the problems and never experience the work that was done to make this a memorable experience!

Movie stars and video games normally go together like David Duchovny and Area 51. The realisation (brought about by this thread, cheers!) that I hadn't really paid any attention to the 'quality' of the voice acting in CP stands as glowing praise, evidently none of it jarred in any way, in that way voice acting always jars in your ears and brings you outta the in-game immersion and into thoughts of 'how much are they paying you for this, Kit?' etc. If anything did jar at all in CP, it was a particular accent, which is another huge compliment to the production. Sometimes those accents did the opposite of jar, not least Nina the ripperdoc's :love::whistle::giggle:

Voice acting is good, direction is kind of bad. V's tone swing wildly during the conversations and that can be jarring. Also dialogue sound just like if it was be recorded standing in every scenario. For example it never actually sound like you would be sitting close to someone in a car, or you would be good distance away from eacother in the outside - it all sounds the same. The first person perspective just makes this disconnect worse.

but i dont think i have ever seen anything that comes close to performance of the voice actors in cp2077.

To comrehend my answer, one would need to watch full length of the following few examples.

It was good to great, for sure, especially considering the wide cast and how the lines had to flow based on player choice. I liked femV the best.

If we’re just ranking favorite video game performances I’ll probably always give #1 to Portal 2. Ellen McLain, Stephen Merchant, JK Simmons, they all killed it.

Can't say that I agree, I think Naughty Dog with TLoU and even TLoU 2 has the best voice acting.

I might even go as far to say the voice acting in TW3 was a bit better. Though CP77 is definitely not the worst, just not the best imo.

Morrowind had the best. :whistle:

ok not that funny...

I thought Bioshock Infinite was excellent.

also
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Borderlands
Batman: Arkham Asylum

Skyrim!!! In a best voice acting category, it's still not that funny. lol
Seriously I've seen store mannequins with more expression then the characters in that game.

Dragon Age inquisition had some absolutely excellent voice acting in it.
The banter between the different characters, sounded very organic, and sometimes very very funny.

This game is definitely in the top 10 for best voice acting.

Skyrim!!! In a best voice acting category, it's still not that funny. lol

We will agree to disagree then, as Sheogorath voice acted by Wes Johnson should have won some kind of award! :)

Edit: Oh (as someone else mentioned ) I forgot about Beyond Good and Evil. Normally I do not like those kind of cartoonish 3rd person games because it looks and feels like you are controlling the Thunderbirds puppets (from the tv show). But for some reason liked this game. Too bad I could never finish it, got stuck driving the boat around and around and around the inside of the mountain with no clue where to go next. May have been a scripting glitch I guess or I was to unaware to see what the game wanted me to do/go. Good voice acting however! And I liked the gambling in the bars! Did not like the shooting.

Last edited:

There are many good narrative games out there with excellent voice acting.
I am afraid Cyberpunk 2077 its nothing special.

Here few example from games i played:

Judy's VA did a great job for sure, both male and female V are solid too
i agree!
there was a great interview with carla tassara (judy) yesterday, i really enjoyed it
Post automatically merged:

There are many good narrative games out there with excellent voice acting.
I am afraid Cyberpunk 2077 its nothing special.

Here few example from games i played:
thanks for your input!
gotta check out arkham city some day, lots of people say it has great voice acting

^ Hamill is a phenomenal voice actor.

I've posted this in the past for something else, but I'm going to praise again the voicework that was done on Interplay's Freespace series. It was universally good -- in both the cutscenes and the gameplay:

Cherami Leigh (female V) did an amazing job. I mean, amazing job. It's far above anything else in the game in my opinion.
She almost makes the game for me, shes right up there with Roger Clark in RDR2.

That sarcastic undertone she uses sometimes are just delightful

If you havnt played as female V, I strongly recommend to try it.. It makes the whole game better.

Top Bottom