best voice acting of all time?

+
Voice acting?

Lupino in Max Payne was very authentic.
So was Baldur's Gate. Sarevok Anchev? Gorion? Ulraunt? Ardenor Crush? Countless other unique characters? That count is hard to beat.

Jane Perry who voiced Rogue.
20201216160346_1.jpg

I dont know about all time, but it's definitely good.

Not a huge fan of Far Cry, but Giancarlo Esposito in Far Cry 6 will probably win in my book once that game comes out. Knowing Giancarlo Esposito's talents, it's hard to beat him. And seeing the cinematic trailers, his voice acting was 5 star, even if the graphics and colors/lights were concerning.

I can also say for the sake of polish voice acting that it was very, very good in Cyberpunk (with some minor exceptions). All the main cast did excellent job. Of course with polish language version it feels a bit off for the obviously american vibe of Night City, but once you get past it, it's enjoyable, all dialogues and even lines spoken by pedestrians feel very natural.
English one is very good as well (although in some cases polish version felt a bit more passionate, like polish Johnny Silverhand).
I think it starts being a tradition for CDPR games that the voice acting is carefully picked and of excellent quality, in polish versions at least. Witcher 2 and 3 were also very good.

Other games: Max Payne 3, main characters in GTAV, Red Dead Redemption 2, Mass Effect trilogy, some actors in Skyrim and Fallout 4. But probably much more, I just can't recall now :)
Sometimes it's just the voice itself I admire. I absolutely loved english Tealor Arantheal's voice from Enderal (excellent Skyrim total coversion mod).
Post automatically merged:

I totally get this. I actually played The Witcher 1 in Polish. I couldn't stand the voice acting in English. Even though I couldn't understand pretty much anything, the acting that was being done by the Polish cast was leaps and bounds better.
Actually, I can say, being a polish native speaker myself, that Witcher 1 was still rather week in acting part for polish version :) Maybe it sounds good for a non-polish speaker, but the acting was too theatrical and sometimes even a bit cartoonish for a person who knows the language (although the dialogues were well written). CDPR started improving much with polish voice acting from Witcher 2 forward, at least in my opinion.
Can't speak for english versions for all 3 Witcher games though, because I played them only in polish.

Last edited:
English one is very good as well (although in some cases polish version felt a bit more passionate, like polish Johnny Silverhand).
I think it starts being a tradition for CDPR games that the voice acting is carefully picked and of excellent quality, in polish versions at least.
This is fascinating subject. I live in Northern Europe and as we are small language groups there's no localization and we don't do dubbing for our language either.

In game there are things that grew over time game uses that momentum sometimes without highlighting things yet they can be something hilarious. Say Keanu's voice work, consistency of it, which builds this character and that potential is also used like in his commentary when he appears in side job: Rebel! Rebel! after V has blown up a truck full of Us Cracks gear and Johnny says: "Fuck me, Kerry. Meaning; It's just a truck of toys, for some plastic Japanese dolls. Might as well blown up a cotton candy stand but... Still a step forward. I hardly recognize the bastard." and that's something really hilarious coming from Silverhand who in the past blew up the whole fucking Arasaka tower.

So it's the scale of things with Silverhand that is quite something else, used to reflect what is happening and beside that it also hints us that Silverhand's concerns regarding Eurodyne might (for once) be something genuine.

So I'm very curious about more passionate Silverhand in Polish version of game as merely listening to Polish version doesn't help me with nuances of spoken language, lot's of things are culturally contextual in a way that just isn't accessible unless you understand that language. So how does Polish Silverhand work in context that actor needs also to be able to translate nuances of what Silverhand is saying in something that works in Polish culture?

This is fascinating subject. I live in Northern Europe and as we are small language groups there's no localization and we don't do dubbing for our language either.

In game there are things that grew over time game uses that momentum sometimes without highlighting things yet they can be something hilarious. Say Keanu's voice work, consistency of it, which builds this character and that potential is also used like in his commentary when he appears in side job: Rebel! Rebel! after V has blown up a truck full of Us Cracks gear and Johnny says: "Fuck me, Kerry. Meaning; It's just a truck of toys, for some plastic Japanese dolls. Might as well blown up a cotton candy stand but... Still a step forward. I hardly recognize the bastard." and that's something really hilarious coming from Silverhand who in the past blew up the whole fucking Arasaka tower.

So it's the scale of things with Silverhand that is quite something else, used to reflect what is happening and beside that it also hints us that Silverhand's concerns regarding Eurodyne might (for once) be something genuine.

So I'm very curious about more passionate Silverhand in Polish version of game as merely listening to Polish version doesn't help me with nuances of spoken language, lot's of things are culturally contextual in a way that just isn't accessible unless you understand that language. So how does Polish Silverhand work in context that actor needs also to be able to translate nuances of what Silverhand is saying in something that works in Polish culture?
To me in general the polish one felt more authentic and being the actual Johnny "the rebel" I imagined, but also a "living" person - this is what I meant by "passionate". He felt definitely more emotionally engaged and accurate in interpreting various lines in dialogues where he tried to convince V with his ideals / commented on situations / reacted to V's conversations with others / behaved like an ashole / or just expressed his mental exhaustion of how V performed with various decisions and choices. He sounded sarcastic / amused / angry / entitled exactly where he was supposed to + some "personal" charisma of the actor and it definitely helped me feel that I talk to a very "fleshed out" character.

Keanu Reeves tried to breathe some soul into the character, no doubt, but to me he seemed a bit like almost constantly just reading text from a piece of paper and behaving... casual?... while the polish one (Michał Żebrowski) changed intonation and emotional level in a way that he WAS Johnny to me, and still being very consistent in building the personality. In terms of cultural nuances I can only say that the polish actor tried to be this underground-rebel-old-rockman-dude just like mr Reeves, but for obvious reasons it had to be tailored to our polish "version" of subcultural stuff - these things are barriers that might not be possible to overcome, because they are rooted in local language. This is untranslatable stuff, I think. Keanu Reeves felt more like the original american subculture rebel because of the game's lore and that's why I said that the whole polish language version might feel off since Night City is an american city with the american culture, but once I got past this "cognitive dissonance", the polish Johnny felt much more fleshed out. This is a subjective thing though (like many other things), so quite a lot of polish people might tell you that they prefer Keanu Reeves as voice of Silverhand. To me, personally, Michał Żebrowski did better job overall.

I don't have a good memory with dialogues and quotes, so I can't give you any examples of where I liked the performance the most, but I can assure you that the polish one was also hilarious at times, + overall more convincing. To me at least. BUT. I don't want to sound like I didn't like Keanu Reeves version at all. While at first (after playing in polish) it striked me as a bit shallow, it grew on me in time, and I also started to like it. With all due respect to mr Reeves, I don't consider him an excellent actor in general, but I think that Johnny Silverhand is his best performance up to date.

Last edited:
To me in general the polish one felt more authentic and being the actual Johnny "the rebel" I imagined, but also a "living" person - this is what I meant by "passionate". He felt definitely more emotionally engaged and accurate in interpreting various lines in dialogues where he tried to convince V with his ideals / commented on situations / reacted to V's conversations with others / behaved like an ashole / or just expressed his mental exhaustion of how V performed with various decisions and choices. He sounded sarcastic / amused / angry / entitled exactly where he was supposed to + some "personal" charisma of the actor and it definitely helped me feel that I talk to a very "fleshed out" character.
It's very interesting, because I have the exact same feeling between french and english version :)
But it is certainly because there are plenty of little nuances in French (in the tone, the words chosen, pauses between words/phrasing...) that I hear in French, which are certainly also present in English, but which I do not hear (because of my "school" English and my lack of "oral" practice).

It could say that CDPR did a really good job in voice acting in general, in all languages :)

(I just finished the 3 episod of Tomb Raider, and I must say that in French, it's simply very bad... no emotion when there should be. I hope that in English it is better...)

Edit : I also guess Cyberpunk's lip-syncing system really helps. When you have to adapt the words/sentences so that it is not too out of place, could generates strange shortcuts. Where in Cyberpunk they have a lot of freedom (if for it to stick perfectly to the emotion, the sentence in French must be longer/shorter, this is not a problem in Cyberpunk)

Last edited:
A kid in original Metro2033 in original russian voice, asking when his (dead) mom returns home. When the dad said she's gonna return soon. Fuck man that moment. It was breaking my hearth. Original russian voices in metro are awesome and ukrainian voices in STALKER also have some great moments - especially bandits xD - legendary.

But to be fair, I like VA in any game I like basically, CYberpunk(ofcourse), DeadSPace, Dishonored, Half-life, Portal, DOOM, HITMAN, Splintercell,Warframe, heck even TF2 has great VA. That of course is not all, not nearly. I am probably unable to pick one, now that Im thinking about it.

Last edited:
It's very interesting, because I have the exact same feeling between french and english version :)
But it is certainly because there are plenty of little nuances in French (in the tone, the words chosen, pauses between words/phrasing...) that I hear in French, which are certainly also present in English, but which I do not hear (because of my "school" English and my lack of "oral" practice).

It could say that CDPR did a really good job in voice acting in general, in all languages :)

(I just finished the 3 episod of Tomb Raider, and I must say that in French, it's simply very bad... no emotion when there should be. I hope that in English it is better...)

Edit : I also guess Cyberpunk's lip-syncing system really helps. When you have to adapt the words/sentences so that it is not too out of place, could generates strange shortcuts. Where in Cyberpunk they have a lot of freedom (if for it to stick perfectly to the emotion, the sentence in French must be longer/shorter, this is not a problem in Cyberpunk)
Yes, language nuances are actually what makes discussions about quality of voice acting a bit difficult. I mentioned that it's subjective thing, both personally and because I'm polish native speaker - so I might, just like you, miss the english nuances in dialogues (maybe also some cultural references?) :)

Oh, I also wanted to add, that in polish version there were exceptions among the main cast. Wakako and Takemura - while polish actors were very convincing in fleshing out personalities of both characters, the subtle asian accent that can be heard in english version, was gone here altogether. So I kind of liked english options for these two more. Hanako too, probably.

Last edited:
I know this opinion will not be very popular as I haven't read it anywhere. And let me be the first to admit to my possible prejudice here, since I played a lot ad male V before experimenting now the female V; but I'm not really in love with Cherami's work here. I don't like how she sudenly becomes very mellow if it's a sad/empathetic moment, I think she takes it to far, going from strong emotion to another strong emotion within a couple of sentences. This progress could be much more nuanced and real. For me the difference between male V and female V is the first sound a lot more like cinema while the second more theatrical in a way. Or just a bit over the top. Also I feel the whole performance of male V constitutes one same character over the story while female V sounds like she changes acording to the moment we're in. Even the sentence as I said above.
With that being said, I truly love the work made by the actors on Jackie, Evelyn, Judy, Rogue, River, Wakako, the various gangers and many others.
Keanu Reeves's voice works well overall for me but I'll never forget that "tsk tsk tsk". I laughed so hard, what was that about?

Yes, language nuances are actually what makes discussions about quality of voice acting a bit difficult. I mentioned that it's subjective thing, both personally and because I'm polish native speaker - so I might, just like you, miss the english nuances in dialogues (maybe also some cultural references?)
Yep, it's the difficulty about translations. In some games (mostly), it's because we are closer to "google translate" than to a translation by a perfectly bilingual person. In French version of Cyberpunk, there are many expression/words who you can't found in a dictionnary and even less that you can learn at "school" :)
The same goes for the context and the way of saying it. The same word can have a totally different meaning depending on who you say it to, the context or just the way you say it... And I'm sure it's the same in all languages.

Translation is very, very difficult job, I think :)

I know this opinion will not be very popular as I haven't read it anywhere. And let me be the first to admit to my possible prejudice here, since I played a lot ad male V before experimenting now the female V; but I'm not really in love with Cherami's work here. I don't like how she sudenly becomes very mellow if it's a sad/empathetic moment, I think she takes it to far, going from strong emotion to another strong emotion within a couple of sentences. This progress could be much more nuanced and real. For me the difference between male V and female V is the first sound a lot more like cinema while the second more theatrical in a way. Or just a bit over the top. Also I feel the whole performance of male V constitutes one same character over the story while female V sounds like she changes acording to the moment we're in. Even the sentence as I said above.
With that being said, I truly love the work made by the actors on Jackie, Evelyn, Judy, Rogue, River, Wakako, the various gangers and many others.
Keanu Reeves's voice works well overall for me but I'll never forget that "tsk tsk tsk". I laughed so hard, what was that about?
For me english female V was actually the same problem as I had with english Johnny. Polish one seemed better overall. I kind of feel what you mean with Cherami's performance being somehow inconsistent and even slightly inadequate on some occasions. I really loved the sound of her voice though.
I don't recall "tsk tsk tsk" you are mentioning :) When was that exactly?

@incomingdamage and @LeKill3rFou Thanks for sharing your experience! Details tell me about what I was really curious and it looks like to me that studios responsible for localization understood what they have in their hands. This all really speaks for "best voice acting all the time" because we have more languages and cultures in the world than English and it's huge task to cover cultural differences. Say, long time ago I try to figure out why France didn't get on the Punk culture and via some ques and some effort I translated something they call Chanson and it came obvious that there's no need for new musical style to enable social commentary as it was all already there. These kind of things can create huge issues when something is portrayed through American rocker boy, as game puts it and voice acting / directing doesn't take in account the cultural differences that can be huge. I don't know things change over time, generalizations are slippery slope but I came to listen to some French industrial metal decade or so ago and after translating the lyrics learned their writing was far above the general nonsense. That's one thing but it's as important to note that there was audience in France for that, otherwise production wouldn't had happened.

This is very good to note as it's also relevant to voice directing regarding whatever associates CDPR used for localization and anyone with professional interest can find them via end credits if no other means. It's very good news that experience isn't bottlenecked because of production values regarding voice talent and directing. As someone who has been exposed to English from very early, it makes some things easier, learning the language for example which can be useful but there's also that in the end, understanding other language other culture, subtexts, nuances and like, it often comes from understanding your own language and culture first.

While English is important language, for me back in the day to be able to access research and what was relevant for me I had to piece together from some work done in the US, some in the UK, some in Italy and Netherlands, so of course it was convenient that work done in Italy and Netherlands was also published in English and we have many languages in Europe, we simply can't learn them all. That said, popular culture is also form of accessing things, especially with product like CP 2077 and localized voice work and that it has quality that is up to par with writing. It's important sometimes to hold on to what came first, not everything needs to be "Englishisationized" (Yeah, made up that word, but I hope you understand).

Where your posts go too, it's that there are elements that are difficult to translate because of cultural differences but I share that view that only so much can be done with character and writing because they can't start making things up that's not responsibility of voice cast but localization when translating the writing and there's only so much that can be done on that side too when there's a huge amounts of material, like in CP 2077. Something get's changed, then it's presented in different way in other language and new version doesn't work anymore with context used in translation, if I image doing that for every localization it's not only amount of work that is an issue, but how complicated it gets.

Keanu Reeves is interesting benchmark. How I experienced Silverhand and his work with that character is colored by my own history as there was a time when I needed to have verbal conversations in English with people whom some English was native language and some whom it weren't. Needed to learn a bit of small talk think too. It was way back in verbal English has always been mostly been "use it or lose it" ability to me. But, Keanu's Silverhand has undertones of bitterness, weariness and cynicism of his dialogue is very present in verbal expression of text. I was a bit surprised actually and I tried turning subtitles off and it worked for me and that's quite something for me as I can't do that with many movies out there or I may start nodding because I just can't get genuinely engaged with whatever say, Disney's latest wave of spandex homos (in Freudian sense, not meat to insult anyone) are trying to explain. Reading is faster and not so involving and so.

Then Reeves work is something that splits also native English speaking audience, so I don't know but that for me that it worked and that might be something to do with active verbal English use in the past. Culturally, passionate Silverhand wouldn't work in Northern Europe I think, but that may be just me.

But in the end, it's great to read about how things works in localization. It's been decade I have followed what happens in gaming space and it's great that games that have cultural value aren't held back by voice work in that department. In product like this it's huge enabler to whole content, the story, thoughts that it may sprung, accessing the core of it so to say and CP 2077 is relevant work in the Cyberpunk genre, that just happens to be a video game.

Last edited:

I think the lipsync helps a lot but I remember the english actors of V saying they needed to say the lines with same timing for the dialogue with the npc to have the correct timing but I guess this influences more the Vs than others. Or maybe not since they have characters talking to each other and they move at the same time without this timing they would just freeze in space. There are instances maybe where they are just sitting for example where the freedom might be bigger

The only moment where I remember Johnny said three things like that, is with Rogue in the AfterLife during "Ghost Town".
But in French, he said "V, V, V..." meaning : "V, you're hopelessly naive..."
Is Johnny still in English on the french version?
It's on a Gig, that one for Wakako that we must find her client and the key to unlock corpo hardware. When we find the computer at the client's house he goes "tsk tsk tsk" to make a detrimental comment after. But this is a sound a person makes with the tongue against the top of the mouth, but he just read the letters XD
Post automatically merged:

For me english female V was actually the same problem as I had with english Johnny. Polish one seemed better overall. I kind of feel what you mean with Cherami's performance being somehow inconsistent and even slightly inadequate on some occasions. I really loved the sound of her voice though.
I don't recall "tsk tsk tsk" you are mentioning :) When was that exactly?
This one above

Is Johnny still in English on the french version?
It's on a Gig, that one for Wakako that we must find her client and the key to unlock corpo hardware. When we find the computer at the client's house he goes "tsk tsk tsk" to make a detrimental comment after. But this is a sound a person makes with the tongue against the top of the mouth, but he just read the letters XD
Oh yeah, find it.
In french, it's also a mouth "sound" but not the same (and the subtitles have nothing to do with...) :)

i played quite a few video games over the years.
but i dont think i have ever seen anything that comes close to performance of the voice actors in cp2077.
imho its a major factor why the characters feel so alive.

does this game have the best voice acting of all time?
what is your favourite work when it comes to voice acting in video games?
Think I would agree that Cyberpunk have some of the best I have tried, at least. I would probably put Last of us higher. But it is a strong point with CP that is for sure.

Oh yeah, find it.
In french, it's also a mouth "sound" but not the same (and the subtitles have nothing to do with...) :)
Yes that's the one! XD it's so funny it gets me every time.
Maybe the director didn't want to correct being Keanu but I think it would be, of course, best. For Keanu also. But this is all guessing of course and no major deal. I do think overall the use of someone with his recognizability and his particular character works and the job is overall well done. I do wish on this note that V was more familiar with his name, as the samurai logo is still all around, his name is associated as rumour to have been responsible for the bombing...

Top Bottom