Best way to defeat....

+
Best way to defeat....

Giants and stone monsters. What is the best strategy and best level. I am at level 16 and having trouble with the giants.

first of all, if the monster's level is 5 or points or higher than you, it will be very deifficult or impossible, but the basic rula is to read the bestiary always, use the recommended oils and potion and the recommended signs,

@Zelda18 first of all I dont know where you had to fight giants since there is only 1 in the game, second what are "stone monsters"?

If you mean cyclops, tactis is using quen and try to backstab to deal more dmg. Earh elemental are easy: just learn the pattern and you are good to go (care for their slam ground AoE attack). Gargoyles are a pain in the butt to deal with as I see it; elementa oil and quen all day for those bastards :D

You mean the elementals and golems? They're tanks, high armor rating and lots of health, but they telegraph their attacks, you just need to swing, swing, and swing again.

I have come across two giants - each are guarding a treasure. I am in Skellig. Perhaps they are cyclops. They are just really big and kill me easily LOL>

Yes, I guess they are golems.

Thanks for your help

Yrrden and quen are the best way to defeat them for signs.

Northern wind is quite useful against them due it stuns them perfect for back stab that deals critical damage and northern wind increase your damage. Also use some Decoction like Ekihidna, any decoction increase damage and defense.

For cyclops and giant just burned them w/ igni and bombs or poison them if you got runes, oil and ability. Elementals are tough due they aren't affected w/ DOT except w/ ice elemental.

For Cyclops, just always roll to the side when they attack (never roll back) and then try to get a heavy Hit in the back. Igni is very strong against them !!!

For Stone Elementals... try to pimp your attack Power first (magic/signs is very very weak against them). There are some nice Decoctions that raise your attack Power if you have full HP and don't get hit. Then always protect yourself with Quen and after you protected yourself go in for 1 heavy attack (no fast attacks because they do no damage) and then roll back and repeat.

I find Rend very helpful on elementas and trolls.
For me the Igni armour reduction is great, but I run a mainly signs build, so maybe I'll combine it with rend for some armour rape.

---------- Updated at 09:14 AM ----------

Giants and stone monsters. What is the best strategy and best level. I am at level 16 and having trouble with the giants.
So, giants/cyclopes deal a shittonne of damage, dodging will be your best friend, and when I say dodge, I mean roll, don't do the shorter distance once. Try to stick under their arms, I dunno if it was intentional but they can't hit you if you're in the right spot (under the elbow, I think)

For golems, you just need to endure, they're tanks, but they don't do too much in the way of damage if you're at the recommended level to fight them.

I used that in my first playthrough but rend is beyond anything when it comes to enemy defense.
Personally, the best part of Igni is the concetrated form, tears apart almost anything, (excluding golems and elementals) though I've yet to use Rend yet.

Personally, the best part of Igni is the concetrated form, tears apart almost anything, (excluding golems and elementals) though I've yet to use Rend yet.
I agree. Also Igni is more useful to active enemies. Rend is dangerous while fighting them. You'll probably get hit until you make a move if they're not in defense. Better use them both.

I agree. Also Igni is more useful to active enemies. Rend is dangerous while fighting them. You'll probably get hit until you make a move if they're not in defense. Better use them both.
That's the plan, hoping to tear down some bastards like cutting through swiss cheese.

The best method so far with me was: (it works on almost all the monsters)
1- On the character menu, upgrade to the Puppet Axii Sign feature, the more points in there the better.
2- When facing an enemy, pick Axii Sign, Hold R2 then release to cast the Puppet Axii Sign.
3- The enemy now becomes your ally, there is 2 triggers in here:
a) if there is a group of enemies then your ally will help you fighting them, with increased attacking power depending on your Puppet Axii Sign level.
b) if there is none other than you and the ally, then your ally will roam around you like a hypnotized freak.
Either ways, you can attack your ally and finish it without any hardships before the sign cast ends, and if it does, just repeat.

I feel like that would get boring, though it would certainly be entertaining the first couple times, having an ally stumble around as you hack at them until they wake up or die.

Personally, I like the tried and true method of diving in, using quen, and just hacking at the fuck while occasionally casting igni to get armour down.

It's a method, it's up to you if you want to use or not.
Well, as far as I used it, it doesn't work on Elementals, so I just use the Quen Sign and Oils, try to get behind the enemy for stun-effect and get more damage.
Igni doesn't work well with all the monster types, except if it has affinity-weakness to them then it's a different case.
I use Aard sometimes as well, it is very very hand, you can OHKO certain monsters by knocking them down on the floor casting it, then you get closer while they are down and stick your sword in them for the finish.

The best method so far with me was: (it works on almost all the monsters)
1- On the character menu, upgrade to the Puppet Axii Sign feature, the more points in there the better.
2- When facing an enemy, pick Axii Sign, Hold R2 then release to cast the Puppet Axii Sign.
3- The enemy now becomes your ally, there is 2 triggers in here:
a) if there is a group of enemies then your ally will help you fighting them, with increased attacking power depending on your Puppet Axii Sign level.
b) if there is none other than you and the ally, then your ally will roam around you like a hypnotized freak.
Either ways, you can attack your ally and finish it without any hardships before the sign cast ends, and if it does, just repeat.
A quick question. I was using puppet early in the game. I dont know if that supposed to happen but I wasn't able to attack them after puppet. But not all the time. Was I doing something wrong?

And noonwraith decoction is also very useful to prevent knockdown and stun while fighting those big monsters.

Last edited:
It's a method, it's up to you if you want to use or not.
Well, as far as I used it, it doesn't work on Elementals, so I just use the Quen Sign and Oils, try to get behind the enemy for stun-effect and get more damage.
Igni doesn't work well with all the monster types, except if it has affinity-weakness to them then it's a different case.
I use Aard sometimes as well, it is very very hand, you can OHKO certain monsters by knocking them down on the floor casting it, then you get closer while they are down and stick your sword in them for the finish.
Of course, just speaking for myself.

As far as I've seen, only elementals and Gael (the Katakan named mini-boss) have resisted Igni.

A quick question. I was using puppet early in the game. I dont know if that supposed to happen but I wasn't able to attack them after puppet. But not all the time. Was I doing something wrong?
No, apparently that happens rarely. Because the game thinks that they are "ally-like NPCs" so you won't be able to hit them. Most likely a small bug.

And noonwraith decoction is also very useful to prevent knockdown and stun while fighting those big monsters.
Yeah, very useful. But I rarely get knocked out by them, just avoid them by timing their attacks.

---------- Updated at 01:50 PM ----------

Of course, just speaking for myself.

As far as I've seen, only elementals and Gael (the Katakan named mini-boss) have resisted Igni.
Fire Elementals, the ultimate horror haha

Top Bottom