Best written villain/antagonist in the Witcher trilogy (Blood&Wine spoilers)

+

Best written villain/antagonist in the Witcher trilogy (Blood&Wine spoilers)

• The Wild Hunt (Riders, Eredin, Imlerith, Caranthir)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Crones of Crookback Bog

Votes: 18 16.8%
  • Azar Javed

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Syanna

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Jaques de Aldersberg

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Shaela/Phillipa in Witcher 2

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • Letho of Gulet

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • Gaunter O'Dim

Votes: 85 79.4%
  • Dettlaff

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other (Adda ,Professor, White Frost, Whoreson. Radovid, Menge, Loredo, Henselt, Dethmold)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
1. Philippa
2. Letho
3. O'Dimm
4. The Crones

I think a character like O'Dimm is way easier (and more pleasing, I could imagine) to "write" than Philippa or Letho. Unfortunately, TW3's Philippa hurts TW2's Philippa (same thing could be said for Letho, with his absolutely terrible cameo).

Last edited:
I voted for Crones and Gaunter. Crones were such a huge WTF in my first game and they made themselves unforgettable. Gaunter is... well, everybody knows that!

I would have wanted to vote Dettlaf, since I love vampires and I really loved this expansion, but I don't see him as a bad guy. He was a victim. And why that doesn't work with Syanna? She's not a vampire, she's just annoying and mean.

I've just remembered an epic thread 'Eredin had 12 sentences' - Dettlaff is a worthy opponent to him in that aspect, but a bit harder to pwn
:eredin:

Letho and Philippa were really well written antagonists in TW2, easly on par with Leo Bonhart from the books. Letho is probably my favorite video game antagonist over all. But in regards for TW3, I would vote for the Crones.

Gaunter O'Dim

O'Dim is the only
terrifying character in all the witcher games.
You simply can feel all the horror just by speaking with him - and this horror is based on the fact that you totally don't know what is this thing, what does he really want and how to defeat him.
Makes the mighty Geralt who faced and killed so many powerful villains look so small and hopeless against him.
For me he (it) even beat Vilgefortz, a really charismatic and perfectly written one. And that's the level of writing CDPR have reached. Sadly there is a recession in in this aspect in "Blood & Wine" after astonishing "Hearts Of Stone".

O'Dimm for sure. Hands down to the best written villain.

Not even counting Dettlaff, which I like for what he is, for his behaviour is well explained by Regis talking about vampires and Dettlaff himself. He is just a tool, just like Letho is to Emhyr. I understand this character. He doesn't think as a human, for vampires death is a passage, something they aren't afraid of as humans are, Dettlaff killing people he doesn't care about is only to hurt Syanna and the Duchess, knowing they're dear to both girls.He has tecnically no fault, apart being feral and impulsive, but however he is mainly a "beast" who has to be put down in this case. He doesn't care about killing humans because he doesn't understand, Regis explained that sort of death perception vampires have.

I always liked Emhyr anyway, both from books and games, so he deserves the second place.

Eredin? Not a chance.

15) The White Fart-.. i mean, Frost
:surprise:

It's been said plenty of times, but O'dimm managed to capture the essence of a great antagonist. He was mysterious, but understandable on some level given his clear inspiration from myths of the devil/crossroads demon/rumplestiltskin. For Geralt he was great because he was unconventional as far as video game villains go, as you can't beat him with physical prowess or skill, rather a battle with him, is a battle of the mind and allowed geralt to shine as the philosopher Witcher. Plus his English language voice actor is a fellow scotsmen, who nailed the role, so i loved that also.

Aside from gaunter, you have to go with letho and philppa, as they were ambiguous and were both can be seen as allies or antagonists.

I voted for Gaunter O'Dimm, and it seems most agree that he's/it's the best villain of the trilogy. He's a very creepy devil-like being, and meeting him at a crossroads was perfect (crossroads in myth being a location "between worlds or realms," so to speak).

I also really like Philippa - not as a person, of course, but I like her vast ambition, which pushes her over the edge into villain territory when someone gets in the way of her goals. For her, the ends (power for herself, primacy for the Lodge and the hegemony of magic) justify the means (regicide, mind control, murder, betrayal, etc.).

Last edited:
So, you are interested because Detlaff is a vampire no matter the quality of representation. Well, why not, but then what does it have to do with the property of being "best written"?

I actually put Detlaff very high but not because he's a vampire (well, maybe a little) but simply because he got such a raw deal out of all this. He's this vampire toymaker who thinks he's protecting his girlfriend and he's basically just used as a weapon by her. I didn't want to kill him and wanted to be given the option to spare him, absolutely insane response with the invasion or not.

Albeit, it's no different from Robb Stark marching on King's Landing.

I think there is an option to spare him, isn't there? I believe it is predicated on you not giving the ribbon to Syanna in the Fairy Tale World, however.

Yeah, I gave her the ribbon so I got the "happy ending" which seems pretty speciest. Detlaff gets punished because he's a monster and Syanna gets spared because she's a princess.

Top Bottom