Best written villain/antagonist in the Witcher trilogy (Blood&Wine spoilers)

+

Best written villain/antagonist in the Witcher trilogy (Blood&Wine spoilers)

• The Wild Hunt (Riders, Eredin, Imlerith, Caranthir)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Crones of Crookback Bog

Votes: 18 16.8%
  • Azar Javed

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Syanna

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Jaques de Aldersberg

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Shaela/Phillipa in Witcher 2

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • Letho of Gulet

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • Gaunter O'Dim

Votes: 85 79.4%
  • Dettlaff

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other (Adda ,Professor, White Frost, Whoreson. Radovid, Menge, Loredo, Henselt, Dethmold)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Still Letho, by a comfortable margin. Honestly, none of the others come close.

Whoever created him, I hope he's a writer on Cyberpunk.

Whoever created him, I hope he's a writer on Cyberpunk.

That could very well be the case, if I recall correctly, the lead writer of TW2 (Sebastian Stepien) moved on to Cyberpunk early during the development of the third game, and I think other major writers who worked on both TW2 and TW3 like Arkadiusz Borowik could end up doing the same now.

Best written goes to O'Dimm, Letho, and Dettlaff.

O'Dimm because he came across so harmless and you sort of have to remind yourself of how dangerous he was. And he scared the crap out of me.

Letho because he was a complex fellow. Not entirely a good person but not evil incarnate like O'Dimm. I can't help but feel like a big brother(from Geralt's POV) to him.

Dettlaff because his development was very subtle in contrast to his outburst. It's easy to cast him off as a monster and even disbelieve Regis' description of him because of it. Dettlaff comes across as unreasonable but if you step back and think of the situation from his nonhuman perspective. I would say he was far more reasonable than he gets credit for.

Do we actually know who wrote Letho, Jacque and O'Dimm? To me, those three are the best.

I have no information on that, but it seems the majority of the larger quests in TW3 were written by these three people:

Arkadiusz Borowik (also a TW2 writer): Pyres of Novigrad, Get Junior, Carnal Sins, Forefathers' Eve, The King is Dead - Long Live the King, The Battle of Kaer Morhen
Jakub Szamalek: Count Reuven's Treasure, Missing Persons/Nameless, For the Advancement of Learning, King's Gambit
Karolina Stachyra: Bloody Baron, Family Matters, Possession, Broken Flowers, Coronation

Sebastian Stepien (TW2 Writer) is the prime reason to be excited about Cyberpunk
Amen. No matter how big the development budget, how flashy the marketing and PR, it ulimately always comes down to whether the script is good, or as they put it in Deadpool: "Written by: the real heroes here." This clearly didn't work right with the base game, which is reflected by how the Wild Hunt fares in this poll.

Letho is by far the best quasi-antagonist. O'Dimm had a very strong presence and was a worthy villain, but is still rather cartoonish compared to most of the adversaries Geralt meets in The Assassins of Kings. He was a fitting and well-rounded character for HoS, though - which makes the Hunt's incredibly weak portrayal even more jarring in retrospect.

Last edited:
which is reflected by how the Wild Hunt fares in this poll.

well, slowly but surely they're getting closer and closer....

Top Bottom