BETA FEEDBACK: DRAWING CARDS AT END OF ROUND, RUINS GAME

+
BETA FEEDBACK: DRAWING CARDS AT END OF ROUND, RUINS GAME

Just a personal opinion here but, one of the really nice things about the original Gwent game was that you did not draw any further cards. They had to last the entire game. This allows for better game planning and deck building than the current method because, you know what you have to work with and there is no second guessing - nothing can change mid game to turn the tide, from a card draw point of view.

IMO you should remove the drawing of cards at each round. Sometimes it works to my benefit, sometimes it doesn't but, it doesn't feel like GWENT with this. Please stick to the core design as much as possible. I feel currently, it detracts from the core gameplay of Gwent.

TBH i think this is nice mechanics and i like it. But maybe, just maybe, in future they could add some other option instead of drawing cards. Something like in second round 2 our random cards in deck have +3 strength, and in last one card or something like this. Or something like random bronze card in second round will convert to silver, and in 3rd round some silver to gold etc things, there are many possibilites imho and this is good mechanics, they just can improve it a lot, add new options to it, so it won't necessary mean always drawing cards at end of round. It could be some other bonus which player could choose.

The basic concept of having something happening and end of round is great. But it needs to be extended.

Last edited:
I agreed with you in the KTS event, but after playing quite a few matches I like the system.
a) it does what the devs said the reason for it was: it gives people with a bad mulligan a second (third?) chance, so they don't just quit the game.
b) extending the first point: it allows you to actually draw your combos. if you don't get them and the enemy does it would be gg. even with a decent hand I'm sometimes missing a card and having a chance to draw it is great. (that's also why I roll with Francesca). you could say that I should just build decks with "smaller" combos, but building a deck that relies on more than one trick is safer.

Something like in second round 2 our random cards in deck have +3 strength, and in last one card or something like this. Or something like random bronze card in second round will convert to silver, and in 3rd round some silver to gold etc
that wouldn't solve point a) in my post.
buffing a few cards isn't really that strong. skellige gets to buff all their cards and it's not op. and if both players get the buff it's not gonna count for too much.
random silver/gold promotion can also screw you, so I really wouldn't like that.

Last edited:
Just a personal opinion here but, one of the really nice things about the original Gwent game was that you did not draw any further cards. They had to last the entire game. This allows for better game planning and deck building than the current method because, you know what you have to work with and there is no second guessing - nothing can change mid game to turn the tide, from a card draw point of view.

IMO you should remove the drawing of cards at each round. Sometimes it works to my benefit, sometimes it doesn't but, it doesn't feel like GWENT with this. Please stick to the core design as much as possible. I feel currently, it detracts from the core gameplay of Gwent.

in the original mini game you drew cards through spies, which to be honest was impossible to win against spy decks if the opponenent didnt also draw lots of cards.

drawing cards at the end of each round (2 after round 1 and 1 after 2nd round) is necessary because there arent blatantly overpowerd single cards that win games by themselves like there were in the mini- game. this necissitaes overall better decks where strong singular cards only supplement good deck design not win games by themselves.

the new card drawing mechanics and the balancing of spies makes it much more equal for both players because 1 player cant get a huge card advantage for little to no drawback like in the original mini-game

Just came across another reason why I feel the card draw is a bad idea. First round, you make a nice lead by taking risks and playing some high level cards and buffs, and pass the round - this is a risky strategy for many reasons, one being, Scorch card. Your opponent spends too many cards trying to plug the gap, they win the round but have few cards for the next one, your tactics have paid off.

Then they get a gold Geralt card or something equally powerful on the next round. They play it instantly, requiring me to overspend to plug the gap and putting me at a disadvantage instead.

The whole card draw is just too RNG. I feel it is best to stick to the principles of the original Gwent and keep the same amount of cards throughout. Sure, maybe have cards that allow you to swap or something but., that would requite thought being put into a deck build. And it would also require strategy planning at Mulligan stage.

Just came across another reason why I feel the card draw is a bad idea. First round, you make a nice lead by taking risks and playing some high level cards and buffs, and pass the round - this is a risky strategy for many reasons, one being, Scorch card. Your opponent spends too many cards trying to plug the gap, they win the round but have few cards for the next one, your tactics have paid off.

Then they get a gold Geralt card or something equally powerful on the next round. They play it instantly, requiring me to overspend to plug the gap and putting me at a disadvantage instead.

The whole card draw is just too RNG. I feel it is best to stick to the principles of the original Gwent and keep the same amount of cards throughout. Sure, maybe have cards that allow you to swap or something but., that would requite thought being put into a deck build. And it would also require strategy planning at Mulligan stage.

you might have mistunderstood me. because games cant be won by single cards that are overpowered anymore like you could in the mini-game, decks require overall better synergy instead of relying on single cards to win matches. The powerful cards now are somewhat strong but its their synergy with the rest of your deck that wins games now.... like good design in all card games.

the need to have a deck with good synergy necessitates card draw because there arent op cards that win games by themselves. positioning yourself well so that you have card advantage over your opponenet doesnt change when both of you draw the same amount of cards after rounds. you still have card advantage and both of you gain new options to gain strength and deal with your opponenets cards.

if your deck relies on a single trick to win or your opponenent drawing badly, then its a bad deck and not the fault of the game.

How about at second round you get two cards with in the (Silver/Bronze) category.
Last round a Bronze unit will be given, if none then no cards. could be interesting, as I personally very
much enjoy the card drawing.

Top Bottom