Betrayal Or Loyalty: DeShawn *Spoiler Alert*

+
I mean, I dunno. We just know it can happen. Ain't got much of an idea what the choice may be and motivations, I can't say what I'd do if I don't know about the reasons to be loyal or betray him.

I'm inclined to betray him because I saw him betray V in the trailers, but I have to wait and see what my V knows. I try to avoid metagaming.

Depends on the reasons and if I trust him so I don't really know.

What I do know for sure is that unless he's an absolute diamond geezer (doubtful, as I get the impression that's pretty rare in Nightcity) then if I'm loyal in my first playthrough, I'll betray him in the next - probably as a Corpo :)

Well I will be playing my corpo V as an open gun for hire. So whoever can pay me more, I'll be siding with them instead.

Yeah. Something tells me betraying Dex will also have some meaningful consequences.
There is no such thing as a free meal; becoming a Legend over night sounds good however what easy comes that easy goes.

Since I will go corpo first and we know corpo V is already a bit of a douche sometimes; it makes sense to go for the fastest and most profitable solutions rather than rely on hope.
I wonder if betraying a fixer could also entail results with other fixers. Would they be less inclined to trust us?

I probably won't go see him in the first place if I have a choice.
But if I have no choices I will betray everyone until I totally get out of said imposed choice.
KakitaTatsumaru I think you are going to be an excellent measure of quality control for story branching and quest pathing and goal seeking for Cyberpunk2077 because of all the options that you're going to choose in what I believe is an attempt to go against the grain and down every path that the game might not expect the player to take, and see how many walls or blocks you find, or how many times the game surprises you by actually saying "Well we thought of that actually" :think::smart::cool::ROFLMAO:
Yeah. Something tells me betraying Dex will also have some meaningful consequences.
There is no such thing as a free meal; becoming a Legend over night sounds good however what easy comes that easy goes.

Since I will go corpo first and we know corpo V is already a bit of a douche sometimes; it makes sense to go for the fastest and most profitable solutions rather than rely on hope.
I wonder if betraying a fixer could also entail results with other fixers. Would they be less inclined to trust us?
That's a really good point. I'm sure word spreads fast, because it has to in a world where the wifi is permanently down lol. I'm thinking that trust and loyalty play a huge role and it may be more difficult to gain their trust and work for, but maybe not impossible to still work for and gain trust from different factions if they're paranoid of your previous ways of handling things.

Probably.
As I said before I'm really not happy with the mercenary approach. I do a LOTS of tabletop RPG (and every RPG around that. For exemple at the moment I'm trying to optimize and AI dungeon scenario to be able to always have an RPG when I want and have already spend almost 60 hours just on creating and optimizing it.) and the normal mercenary approach is the laziest approach to take, it's like admitting being unable to create an enticing enough goal.
Even as a Shadowrun GM I try to get my players out of the "me want money" as the main selling point of scenario (and it has the side effect of making the players creative about how to get money too).

I really hope not only the main quest, but also the side quests will be fleshed out enough to drag players to the story out of the "me want money" used-to-the-bone trope.

Last edited:
That's a really good point. I'm sure word spreads fast, because it has to in a world where the wifi is permanently down lol. I'm thinking that trust and loyalty play a huge role and it may be more difficult to gain their trust and work for, but maybe not impossible to still work for and gain trust from different factions if they're paranoid of your previous ways of handling things.

Also of course it depends on who you betray. For someone it could he beneficial and they might actually like you more for it. Imagine there is someone who already wants to fk someone over so when they hear that you already did they might be more inclined to do business with you.
Really interested in seeing such 'consequences'

Probably.
As I said before I'm really not happy with the mercenary approach. I do a LOTS of tabletop RPG (and every RPG around that. For exemple at the moment I'm trying to optimize and AI dungeon scenario to be able to always have an RPG when I want and have already spend almost 60 hours just on creating and optimizing it.) and the normal mercenary approach is the laziest approach to take, it's like admitting being unable to create an enticing enough goal.
Even as a Shadowrun GM I try to get my players out of the "me want money" as the main selling point of scenario (and it has the side effect of making the players creative about how to get money too).

I really hope not only the main quest, but also the side quests will be fleshed out enough to drag players to do them out of the "me want money" used-to-the-bone trope.
That's extremely interesting. So you care about good deep complex plot, and good deep complex believable performances. I will say that even though one of V's and Jackie's big goals seems to make big money and go to the top, I do think you have some really good hope there, as do I, that the plot will not be shallow and just about money, as I feel that it will get very complicated and very interesting very fast, and in unexpected ways.

Also of course it depends on who you betray. For someone it could he beneficial and they might actually like you more for it. Imagine there is someone who already wants to fk someone over so when they hear that you already did they might be more inclined to do business with you.
Really interested in seeing such 'consequences'
Yea me too!

Probably.

I really hope not only the main quest, but also the side quests will be fleshed out enough to drag players to the story out of the "me want money" used-to-the-bone trope.

In my TTRPGs the ones I play my characters always have a deep, but not ridiculous, backstory and as a DM/ST/GM I always ask the same of my players. With a good backstory you can do a lot with it.

I'm not so sure if it's a matter of 'V' betraying Dexter as due to 'V' having (apparently) blown the job, getting Jackie killed, and bringing the heat down on them-self and Dexter causes Dexter to want to cut ties to 'V', permanently. You can look at that as betrayal or merely self preservation.

I get the impression (note: my opinion not verified fact) a run-n-gun approach to breaking into the Arasaka tower to get the chip may not be the "best" option.

I'm not so sure if it's a matter of 'V' betraying Dexter as due to 'V' having (apparently) blown the job, getting Jackie killed, and bringing the heat down on them-self and Dexter causes Dexter to want to cut ties to 'V', permanently. You can look at that as betrayal or merely self preservation.

You make a fair point. I appreciate you sharing your take on it.

I get the impression (note: my opinion not verified fact) a run-n-gun approach to breaking into the Arasaka tower to get the chip may not be the "best" option.
You make a fair point. I appreciate you sharing your take on it.
I feel like you might be right too. But I feel like maybe even if Jackie and V do not start out "run-n-gun", that they may get compromised (hopefully avoidable, but may be unavoidable because of story reasons?) at some point during the mission and have to run away and escape, like that part of the trailer.

This makes me wonder if Jackie dying has something to do with not character choice, but the choice of the characters life path. Like breaking into arasaka, getting shot at, escaping, Jackie dying, and Dexter trying to kill V may possibly be something that 100% always happens in the corporate life path. I hope I'm completely wrong, and this is just a theory of course. Hopefully I can start as corpo, be a good hero character, and keep Jackie alive somehow?

I persoanlly think its going to be less of an option of you to decide whether or not to betray Mr.deshawn but how you decide to handle him "betraying" you.

Put in quotes there, because "its nothing personal, just business." I think depending on how you play it out its inevitable deshawn fucks you over for how the mission plays out and its up to how you played the mission and how you react to that it will turn out after with deshawn

This makes me wonder if Jackie dying has something to do with not character choice, but the choice of the characters life path. Like breaking into arasaka, getting shot at, escaping, Jackie dying, and Dexter trying to kill V may possibly be something that 100% always happens in the corporate life path. I hope I'm completely wrong, and this is just a theory of course. Hopefully I can start as corpo, be a good hero character, and keep Jackie alive somehow?
I'm pretty sure breaking into Arasaka is a mandatory story mission required to obtain the chip with Johnny Silverhand on it.
HOW you go about it may result in different consequences.

It depends on the situation. If he tries to turn me and Jackie against each other then I'm popping him quickly. If he tries to turn me against the Voodoo Boys when I've grown quite fond of them then I'm betraying him and let them take him out.

Top Bottom