Better cpu or gpu for W3?

+
Alextyc1 said:
depends on your budget.
nvidia is better at high end cards
amd better with prices and such.
tell me your budget ill recommend you what i think is the best for that budget
I can spend up to 300 for a GPU! :)

You can always get yourself a nice SSD and upgrade the rest later. Makes your PC boot and load stuff much faster.

Karpou said:
I can spend up to 300 for a GPU! :)/>

Gtx 760 or radeon 7950 for you then :)
The 760 is a bit better(not always) but radeon 7950 has 3gb vram (760 has 2gb) those vram numbers are for the usual editions of these cards.

But there are rumors that amd will reveal it new cards on Tuesday (25th september) so now the smartest thing to do is to wait.

Alextyc1 said:
Gtx 760 or radeon 7950 for you then :)/>
The 760 is a bit better(not always) but radeon 7950 has 3gb vram (760 has 2gb) those vram numbers are for the usual editions of these cards.

But there are rumors that amd will reveal it new cards on Tuesday (25th september) so now the smartest thing to do is to wait.
Ok this is what i'm going to do! Thanks for the help!!

For 300€ you should even get an overclocked HD7970. They will probably get even cheaper in the next two weeks, as AMD will announce new cards on wednesday, 25th September.

M4xw0lf said:
For 300€ you should even get an overclocked HD7970. They will probably get even cheaper in the next two weeks, as AMD will announce new cards on wednesday, 25th September.

Ahh yeah its wednesday oops..

xOnikagex said:
So i will be geeting new pc in next couple of weeks i cant wait for the next year
because the one i have now is realy strugling so basically i have 2 choices
FX 8320+GTX 770 or i5 4670k+GTX760 i know i5 is better in most of the games question
is will witcher 3 be too much cpu bound and from what i see 770 is significantly better
than 760 in some games so what do you guys and girls think would be better choice.Thanks

I think it's safe to assume that the Witcher 3 will be more GPU intensive than CPU intensive given that it will use DX11 and an assortment of graphics related technologies, but that doesn't mean the CPU won't be a major factor.

I personally don't recommend AMD CPUs for gaming. They are much weaker than the Intel Core series IPC wise, and their performance strongly depends on how optimized the engine is for multicore. Hopefully RedEngine 3 will be able to make use of at least 8 threads.

Another thing to consider is PhysX. If you want to use all the technological features of the game without sacrificing too much performance, you will NEED an NVidia GPU.

If you're on a budget, you'll get more bang for your limited bucks by spending more on the GPU and less on the CPU. If budget doesn't matter, you don't need our advice anyway.

AMD FX series (Socket AM3+) CPUs are sufficient and do particularly well on heavily threaded loads. AMD has promised to continue to use Socket AM3+ for the next generation of processors. Intel has stated they will not continue to use LGA 1150. Current AMD processors can also be overclocked. Current Intel processors are not satisfactory at overclocking.

FX-8350 + a 990FX motherboard approx. $338

Core i5 4670K + a Z87 motherboard approx. $400

GuyN said:
Current Intel processors are not satisfactory at overclocking.

That's not really true. Every Intel processor from Nehalem to Haswell is excellent when it comes to overclocking. The latest Haswell CPUs are great overclockers (I haven't seen on that won't hit 4.2ghz), but they are held back by Intel using TIM instead of solder for the IHS. So if there's too much gap between the IHS and the core, your temps will be high which will limit your overclocks. Some CPUs will overclock better than others depending on that gap, and I've seen some Haswells at 4.6 and 4.8ghz. There are workarounds for this if you're willing to do it though.

Sandy bridge based CPUs are amazing overclockers. My 3930k will do 4.8ghz on air and possibly even 5ghz although I've never tried it, but I have it at 4.5ghz for daily use. Ivy bridge is almost as good as Sandy Bridge.

Anyway, taking overclocking out of the equation, the IPC advantage that Core i7 has over comparable AMD processors is very significant. Most game engines do not scale above four threads, but this may change with the coming of the next gen consoles.

In games which are CPU bound such as these:

Vishera vs Ivy Bridge

AMD is thrashed..

IsengrimR

Mai3r said:
I hope that mine: i7-3770K 4.2 ghz with GTX 660 2gb, will run it at least on medium settings...

And there I was hoping to get medium with Zotac's GTX 560Ti...

M4xw0lf said:
This will be a problem for me, too - how do I free enough space on my SSD (128GB), short of a complete wipe? ^^

Either upgrade to a bigger SSD, or delete games that you've already beaten.

The new Samsung Evo series are the first SSDs I've seen where the cost/capacity ratio is pretty close to HDDs. I might buy the 1TB model myself pretty soon for my Windows 8.1 build.

Mai3r said:
I hope that mine: i7-3770K 4.2 ghz with GTX 660 2gb, will run it at least on medium settings...

You will run it on ultra settings. With mods. On 1920x1080p resolution.

Everything above 45fps & your eye won't even know the difference.

Christ people, Witcher 3 is going to be awesome game, probably GOTY 2014, but you don't need 4-Way Nvidia TITAN SLI configuration to run it on ultra settings.

ClearlyBalkan said:
You will run it on ultra settings. With mods. On 1920x1080p resolution.

Everything above 45fps & your eye won't even know the difference.

Christ people, Witcher 3 is going to be awesome game, probably GOTY 2014, but you don't need 4-Way Nvidia TITAN SLI configuration to run it on ultra settings.

I know that man. That was more of a joke about people going crazy too much. If they make this game extremely demanding to GPU or PC overall, they're gonna get less money, not everyone has a monster as their PC and not everyone is rich enough to afford one.

Top Bottom