Big Disappointment in The Witcher 3

+
Absolutely love how it currently works. No system will satisfy everyone.

Laughed at the "virtual leg up" comment. Please... Insecurities in a single player game? Get real.

Nonsense. Much of the reward -is- the job. Because it's not a job, it' s game! If you fight a Level 10 opponent at level 4 and win, THAT is your reward. If they also have something cool, that's nice too.

I get that some people need to be paid to enjoy something, and I sympathise, but taking on something much more powerful than you is supposed to get you killed, not rewarded. That is a design mechanic.

Your preference is different from mine and CDPR's. not better.
I also think that Geralt agrees with me, as he states in the first town you enter (not the burned one) about the monster plaguing the town - its too bad there is no reward being offered for hunting it down, otherwise the Witchers might have done something about it. Witchers never work for free. ;)

@Dissolution187
I posted a quote from the devs on this topic. Other people have said the same thing supporting these quotes. Read the topic, or do a google search yourself if you want more 'proof'. Or better yet, try doing a quest that is many levels above your own and see what items you find as a result for your own in-game proof.

---------- Updated at 06:53 PM ----------

I still say that the sense of progression is very strongly affected in a negative way by setting up loot like this. If I beat a high level enemy, I want to find high level stuff. Not get mostly junk items and very rarely find an item that is actually worthwhile. The reward for a job should fit the difficulty of that job, otherwise it is not worth doing, or not worth playing in this case.

I read the topic AND PONIES.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tell you they are not scaled. Try doing another run, and come to the same spot when you are level 4, for example. You will see you will receive the exact same items. The "scaling" is tied to map spot and difficulty encounter (you can easily beat a level 7 enemy at level 1 if it's a normal monster, is not a so challenging encounter). I could win a basilisk (level 14) in Velen at level 4 (that's a challenging encounter, with a semi boss high level monster) and I got weapons I can not equip for another 3 levels.

This is correct. I just obtained a crossbow that had red X on it inside my inventory telling me I was too under leveled to equip it.

If you go and randomly fight a lvl 10 monster then the lvl of the loot you find in that area can be any lvl.

Take on a LVL 10 quest though involving fighting monsters of around that LVL and you will find equipment around that LVL.

There is no loot scaling.

In this case the quest I am speaking of is the one where you have to find two letters and involves beating a level 7 wraith or ghost of some sort which is guarding a tomb. It felt like a boss type enemy, not just a standard monster. I beat it while I was level 1 after a very long and difficult battle. All the items and rewards I found in the area were level 1 and had stats barely above the equipment I already had, although the items I found some of them were marked in blue and labeled 'master' items.

This feels like loot scaling to me, if I came back at level 7 would the items I found be level 7? The developers basically said this is how it works for the majority of the items based on the information I have found around the net. The quote I am referring to seems to come from a youtube interview with the developers which touched on this topic. They have said loot scaling is in the game. My experience thus far supports their statements.

As for finding higher level items, I did see some in the shop which were higher level, but i expect to get rewards based on the levels of enemies I am fighting, not based on my own level at the time.

Last edited:
In this case the quest I am speaking of is the one where you have to find two letters and involves beating a level 7 wraith or ghost of some sort which is guarding a tomb. It felt like a boss type enemy, not just a standard monster. I beat it while I was level 1 after a very long and difficult battle. All the items and rewards I found in the area were level 1 and had stats barely above the equipment I already had, although the items I found some of them were marked in blue and labeled 'master' items.

This feels like loot scaling to me, if I came back at level 7 would the items I found be level 7? The developers basically said this is how it works for the majority of the items based on the information I have found around the net. The quote I am referring to seems to come from a youtube interview with the developers which touched on this topic. They have said loot scaling is in the game. My experience thus far supports their statements.

As for finding higher level items, I did see some in the shop which were higher level, but i expect to get rewards based on the levels of enemies I am fighting, not based on my own level at the time.

Well I found my LVL 10 CB after randomly tackling a bandit camp at LVL 8.

Taking both of our examples into account. Maybe there is some element of randomness involved in the loot, or at least some of it.

Heh.

Geralt does work typically for the reward. Touche. Very in-character.

Everyone else:
Anyone insulting others - never mind repeatedly - is not in a good way around here. You may not agree with the original poster, but you -will- be courteous and relatively respectful in your replies.

Yeah stats are scaled, has advantages and disadvantages.

Disadvantage is of course no reward for killing high level monsters, on the other hand some people say killing it is reward enough (like in Dark Souls). Also you get experience points for them, even if not as much as for quests.

Advantage is that if you miss a quest and do it later, and it is still moderately hard I am sure of that, especially when playing on higher difficulties where stats do barely increase with level-ups, the equipment will not just be "trash".

Also, like some of the posters here said, the ability to add runes and the damage boni also make a HUGE difference.

Thank you for the ponies! =) Very cute.
But more on topic, I am not saying this means people can't have fun with the game, it is just something I feel the devs could (should - imo) have done better. There are plenty of examples of great titles which gate their items in other ways which are more reasonable, instead of preventing the player from attaining them early by removing the reward, just attach them to a strength or other statistic requirement, or a skill you still need to learn before you can effectively use that item, etc. Fallout 3 is a great example of a game where I felt this was done very well.

This would allow players to get the good items, and give them incentive to advance their characters and explore the game, so they could find and work toward using those more powerful items. Or allow them to sell the valuable items from fighting tougher encounters for a good profit and use the cash to buy things they could use right away. Thus preserving and encouraging the sense of progression and spirit of exploration/discovery throughout the game.

Last edited:
You might not have want to call it "BIG disappointment" then. It sounds kind of VERY negative.
It was a big disappointment for me, So much that even now (5 years later) I have still never progressed past the first town or played this game since, because of this mechanic. And I know i'm missing out on a great title. I even bought the game and all it's dlc as it came out, because I wanted to support the game and CDPR.

But this loot scaling mechanic really destroys the experience for me. I may try to find a solution or mod to fix this issue so I can play the game, hopefully someone somewhere has a mod for it by this point...

I'm not sure if the game is using loot scaling, however, I did notice one thing about loot drops. Let's say you play through a quest or simply explore an undiscovered location and then beat the enemies and grab your loot. If you (for whatever reason) decide to re-load the last autosave/checkpoint before the quest clear and do it over again, there is a small possibility that there will be a new loot spawn. Be mindful that this doesn't apply to red (witcher sense) quest specific loot chests; just the yellow general loot chests/containers. This occurred a handful of times whenever I lost a fight or simply re-loaded. When I looted a chest and got some junk items/common items and then did a re-load, sometimes certain items spawned as master crafted or as magic items instead of the junk I got beforehand.

Top Bottom