Big missing piece in the story (Humanity)

+

Guest 4521245

I want to start this discussion and see what others think on this topic, I'm kinda new to the whole Cyberpunk genre and have only watched the original Blade Runner (don't even know if they're comparable). I'm probably a strange point of view on this whole topic, I'm not religious at all but I hold certain values very strongly and I'm sensitive to them being defiled or ruined in any way, so it will be interesting to see if anyone else found this in their gameplay or if I'm alone in this

The basic concept is this: the world of Cyberpunk ISN'T desirable or good, it's a dystopia full of squallor, it represents a society that has completely gone mad and destroyed everything "natural" in the world (or at least north america), there's no value attached to concepts like "purity" or "honesty", some people may still recognize these values but the society at large is so widely "fucked" that it feels like even acting on this is pointless, thus the only important thing becomes "surviving", or trying to climb the ladders up and gain notoriety and power, you die either way basically and there's no salvation, which is the point (I think) and that's good, we need stories like these, it's a cautionary tale

The first problem I encountered was a profound disconnect between me, the player, and V. It's cool what CDPR did in putting us in the shoes of someone who is familiar with the game world and kind of "guides" us into it, but I felt it lacked a more.. "normal" perspective on things, someone who saw the world for what it was, someone a bit less naive and with more perspective. The game starts and the whole motivation for accepting jobs is "becoming the best", from the start I started facepalming for V, what the hell are you talking about? do you see what kind of world you live in? instead of doing anything positive you want to become part of the problem, in exchange for money.. to do what? to buy cars and apartments, so that you can ride around in Night City.. the worst shithole in the history of cities, the most horrid place you could ever wish to live in?? in the first 10 hours you see enough horrible things to change your mind immediately, but V still kind of feels like a shallow, selfish, sometimes a bit stupid, protagonist, I didn't like him in the least in any of his versions.. corpo V is just a giant ass who doesn't even understand how bad he is, street kid V is a poor disillusioned lost soul, and Nomad V is probably the most selfish and moronic, abandoning the only people who still hold some values and humanity to go to night city.. just why? the whole premise seemed kind of weak to me, the world pulled me in but V left me very cold as a main character, I didn't like him except in some quests where he shows some balls and that he knows what is right or wrong, but in the vast majority of situations.. no

Second huge point that the game doesn't care about: the implants and the value of keeping your body whole and pure. Again I'm not religious at all, but I still feel this is the absolute basic premise for living a good life, your body is your temple, organ transplants and medical procedures obviously don't interfere with this, but implanting SWORDS in your arms and removing your eyes to substitute them for electrical ones is just insanity, doesn't matter what benefits you gain from it, it violates everything about being human and should never be accepted, period. They cite "cyberpsychosis" as a possible issue, and I liked the lore shards that suggest Cyberpsychosis has nothing to do with specific implants but rather the combination of replacing parts of your body and living in a horrible place where nobody even knows what humanity is and everyone is isolated, it's basically psychosis with the added potential damage of an extremely modified body, nothing mysterious about it and I liked that, but then we START the game with implants, and one of our first missions is replacing our eyes and hands, and the game doesn't either offer you a choice in the matter or consider it as anything special. And yes, in Night City it's nothing special, but from our perspective it's absurd and strange, the game just treats it as an upgrade and it never has any consequence of any kind.. there are also problems inherent with having electronical devices take over the most important functions in your body: they're hackable, at the very least they could have made heavily modified main characters be very vulnerable to hacking, or give special dialogue for BOTH heavily modded and un-modded player character, instead it makes no difference at all and nobody notices if you refrain from using implants, nobody cares or notices, doesn't this kind of contradict the whole premise of the world and game?

I kept expecting a path to open, where after seeing so many atrocities V says "fuck this" and starts to understand how compromised night city is, and a new questline opens: "Flee", convince Judy or Panam to come with you, find somewhere livable and try to live a normal life, another ending where you maybe die because of Johnny anyway, but your partner is pregnant, you live in a small community in some untainted part of the world (much talk of Sweden), a proper "good/human ending" that doesn't betray the idea behind the world: if you try to engage with Night City, you will either die or become a monster, the only way forward is backward, the only way to survive is to finally understand how fucked everything is and try to either change it or renounce it, instead it never comes, and it made the rest of the philosophy in the game feel more hollow.. it just feels like nothing can be saved, there's no sacrifice that you can make to even get a little bit of positivity, the best you can get is the nomads, and for how much I like them I feel like they are a dying breed too, just escaping constantly, never creating..

sorry for the long post, don't take this too seriously, I just want to hear everybody's thoughts on this part of the story, thank you for reading

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4521245

I made a mess with the post, my whole text disappeared, I'll edit the topic and add it back, sorry xD

there is already e thread about humanity :D
I think hes talking about humanity not as a mechanic, but that the story forces you to live a depraved narrative no matter what you do.

And V has no awareness of it.

There is actually a quest with some monks that briefly address this, but its just a passing moment.

Yeah, this is something Ive felt too. The game doesnt know whether to let loose with player freedom,or funnel you down a path they want. Sometimes your V feels lile two people (aside from the obvious retort to that).

As always I think the focus on the 'main story' was wrong and limited the while world, V and player experience.

The humanity piece ferls missing and much needed. Cyberware needs to feel more powerful but have that cost. Now, its just an extension to weapons slots.

Feels like the game can't decide whether it wants V to be the typical power fantasy self-insert protagonist, or whether they want to subvert that trope and make the player character very much a passive, powerless passenger.

A lot of the open world gameplay and dialogue choices suggest the former, whereas the overall premise and of course conclusion of the story suggest the latter.

Cyberpunk is a game that wants to eat its cake and have it too. That is, they want to cater to typical gamer expectations of being able to goof off and shoot up endless enemies, but also want to deliver a deep narrative with complex themes. Ultimately, I think they fell short on both counts.

Last edited:
I'll be honest with you...

I think that's the one thing that drew me to the nomad ending, in that it basically said "fuck night city, fuck trying to get fame, lets go back to humanity".

Yea people dying sucks, particularly a bunch of important clam member died in that ending but I felt it was the best ending for sure, because V went back to humanity even if he could probably die in a short while.

Main character dying sucks but it's not the first game to do it... Rockstar seems famous for this. In Red Dead Redemption player dies no matter what.

If you really want to talk about this...
First, the CP world is totally sucked in sociological sense.
Second, while you feel no good, that's means right.
You must understand that if you feel OK, that will also means the world can be saved.
CP world is something looks super good, so many things cool. You feel horrible to change your eyes, but in the other hand, it's suuuuuper cooool. And someday the people will realized the both side of it, horrible and cool.
The meaning of game is, if you just told people there is two side of the world like CP, they don't buy it, too boring and complicated. But game make you touch it.

BTW, if you really want to find the way to change the CP world, there only one way.
Revolution.
I'm not talking about The Revolution like Johnney. He want to do something but finally became a terrorist.
It's super hard and complicated. I know a city which was just like NC, some people changed it many years ago.
Unfortunately, We can't talk about how. To CDPR, they even not allowed to think.
So there would never have a real solution at any game, the shit you would have is just like the Detroit.
Reporter shoot a revolution which robots just singing, people touched so let them go. Yeah we got something Humanity, but what will happened in the real world, or the CP world with worse situation?
The show would be cut by a solid reason: there is some riots, NCPD has clean the street and driven out the reporter for their safety.
Then, NCPD can shoot robots in their way.
Revolution, is something like hunt the god, every step wrong cause the death of everyone. Even every step right, it may still kill most of you. It's about would you use your life to change the life of others, your children, your family, your friends. I guess I can't say more.

Last edited:
I've come to realize that revolution is not the way.

People always die in a revolution, a lot of people in fact. And often, I'd say 90% of the time, nothing changes. The freedom fighter becomes the new oppressor, and the cycle continues anew. And there is always a cycle of oppression, revolution, complacency, then oppression, then revolution.

Maybe this is why Jesus says to follow your kings, because he realized that revolution would never bring about lasting change. Look at how he conquered by being nailed to a cross willingly, and his followers (at least in the first few centuries) never killed anyone.

Guest 4375874

No offense but you lost me after the third paragraph. I can't tell if you're speaking from personal belief or the concept of a game is lost somewhere. Sounds like your problem is with games in general....so it's odd that you'd be playing this or any similar game in the last decade. You essentially play a killer for money in the Witcher, GTA...don't get me started, RDR2....take a guess. So are you asking to have a discussion about humanity in video games in general or are you surprised that a game called cyberpunk actually lives up to it's name. You said you watched blade runner which wasn't a utopia either and the protagonist was also a prick so I'm not at all sure what the post is trying to convey.

"I'm not religious at all but I hold certain values very strongly and I'm sensitive to them being defiled or ruined in any way, so it will be interesting to see if anyone else found this in their gameplay or if I'm alone in this"

in other words, you need trigger warnings. Sorry to say this, but maybe entertainment just isn't for you.

"The basic concept is this: the world of Cyberpunk ISN'T desirable or good, it's a dystopia full of squallor
, it represents a society that has completely gone mad and destroyed everything "natural" in the world (or at least north america),"

yup! Everything has been destroyed or replaced with something artificial. Governments have lost control of corporations, and the world has gone mad. Sound familiar?

"there's no value attached to concepts like "purity" or "honesty","

uhm, a concept like "purity" is a cautionary tale itself. Babylon 5 hit this point really well, when an Ancient Killing Machine awoke on the station, intent on purifying it's homeworld. Only problem was that no one could actually be that pure. So everyone on that world was wiped out.

"thus the only important thing becomes "surviving", or trying to climb the ladders up and gain notoriety and power, you die either way basically and there's no salvation, which is the point (I think) and that's good, we need stories like these, it's a cautionary tale"

well, isn't that a reflection of the real world? What's the point of living in general?
Cyberpunk, Science Fiction, Fantasy, all these genres exaggerate certain aspects of the world to highlight issues and problems in our lives. It's supposed to make you think.

"The first problem I encountered was a profound disconnect between me, the player, and V. It's cool what CDPR did in putting us in the shoes of someone who is familiar with the game world and kind of "guides" us into it, but I felt it lacked a more.. "normal" perspective on things, someone who saw the world for what it was, someone a bit less naive and with more perspective."

That's a contradiction. Someone who is familiar with the world will see it as normal. That's where Johnny comes in with a different perspective, someone who is willing to burn it all down because it's so wrong. Which would kill millions of people. Is that worth it?

"The game starts and the whole motivation for accepting jobs is "becoming the best", from the start I started facepalming for V, what the hell are you talking about?"

I agree with the basic premise. The game failed to properly set V up as a character and give a reason for coming to Night City. Jackie wanted to become the best, V never had a goal, but was just dragged along.

I actually expected that in the Prologue actually. The Nomad and Corpo Livepath would have been easy to set up a "Revenge" Plotline. The Bakkers were betrayed, the Traitor hiding in Night City, being protected by some Corp, only the Fixers in the Afterlife have the connections to find him .... This would have given V a reason to be there. As it is, there is a disconnect.

"do you see what kind of world you live in? instead of doing anything positive you want to become part of the problem, in exchange for money.. to do what?"

Again, this might be an issue of entertainment just not being for you. The premise of stories like this start with the "Suspense of disbelief". Imagine you live in the year 2077, the world has gone to shit, and you live in it. As a merc. This is that story.
If you can't or won't accept that premise, these stories won't work for you.

"the most horrid place you could ever wish to live in??"

aside from all the alternatives, which are even worse?

"Second huge point that the game doesn't care about: the implants and the value of keeping your body whole and pure. "

Wrong game. Again, suspension of disbelief. This is a story where implants are as normal as Computers and Mobile Phones are to us. There is no value in keeping your body "pure".

"Again I'm not religious at all, but I still feel this is the absolute basic premise for living a good life, your body is your temple, organ transplants and medical procedures obviously don't interfere with this, but implanting SWORDS in your arms and removing your eyes to substitute them for electrical ones is just insanity, doesn't matter what benefits you gain from it, it violates everything about being human and should never be accepted, period."

That sounds very religious.
The whole idea for implants is based on the initial benefits. A blind person can see with artificial eyes. Someone who has been injured in an accident and lost the ability to see, same thing. People who lost limbs in accidents/wars can be made "whole" again.
From that initial premise you have a world gone to the extreme. Why replace a limb with a similiar one, when you can make it BETTER?! Why just a normal arm, when you can have one with a freaking blade in it?
Again, take our world. Why just have a normal phone, when you can have one that allows you to check your emails, no matter where you are? Same principle.
Also, if your idea of purity is that extreme, entertainment like this just isn't for you. If you are uncomfortable with questions like "What does it mean to be human?", fine. I think it's an interesting question.
Are you still human, if your brain has been transplanted into an artificial body?
Are you still human, if most of your body has been replaced with mechanical parts? (robocop?)
Are you still human, if .......

In stories like this, you sometimes have extremists, who believe in purity. Who are willing to destroy the "things" pretending to be human. How far are you willing to go for your belief in purity?

"where nobody even knows what humanity is"

humanity is mankind. All human beings. There is nothing in that definition excluding implants.

"And yes, in Night City it's nothing special, but from our perspective it's absurd and strange, the game just treats it as an upgrade"

It's nothing special in Cyberpunk 2077. That's the kind of world that is.
The question is how far you are willing to go with those upgrades. A basic question of Transhumanism. How much can you replace, before you stop being yourself.

"doesn't this kind of contradict the whole premise of the world and game?"

That depends. What is the premise of the world and game?
If the premise is, that you are a merc with upgrades, it doesn't contradict it.

"the best you can get is the nomads, and for how much I like them I feel like they are a dying breed too, just ecaping constantly, never creating.."

right, because the Nomad Nations don't exist ...
I agree with you that the story fails on many levels. In many ways, it felt similiar to the first Witcher game. In order to enjoy the game, you pretty much have to read the source material.
In addition to that, the problem is that you can't accept the premise of the world. And in Cyberpunk, you are not playing someone who will change the world, you are someone who is just living in it.

The plot feels shallow and superficial…they tried to add some 'what does it mean to be a human' elements via the cyberpsycho quest line but it falls short in terms of presentation and depth.

The only title I personally hold high regard on this topic is Deus Ex. The game is more mature and philosophical unlike the themed park Cyberpunk 2077.

I agree and disagree.

1. There doesn't seem to be much of an option for V to try to actually do GOOD in Night City. Even if I think that Edgerunners should all be morally ambiguous antiheroes, it's the nature of the game that you are a professional criminal for hire the same way HITMAN is about a, well, hitman, I do think you should be able to actively do things to be Night City Batman.

2. I think if you have a problem with cybernetics, this is the wrong game. Mind you, I wear glasses so saying "bodily purity" is bullshit.

Interesting post and valid points to consider in my opinion for the future of video games maybe, but I'm with replayNinja on this one.
ie, you find an artist, research a little about hers/his background, you're not impressed but still want to visit the gallery. Ultimately it's who who's going to decide if you're going to take a painting home and put it on your wall.

You raise some good points but some are brought by your subjective experience and interpretation of the game. I think CP did at good job at offering different perspectives and leaving some topics ambiguous (engrams and concept of soul, transhumanism, the monks and detachment from nature, and so on).

I never bought into the whole "body purity" thing, if technology allows it cyberware is not negative on its own. The line between "fixing" a disability/medical issue and unnecessary improvements is blurry. Completely unchecked, I'd treat it more or less like extreme plastic surgery with the bonus of having functional improvements.

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but rolling over and letting a dystopic system win all the time is really not the core of cyberpunk as a genre. There are always ways to resist. I liked this Pondsmith interview:
You’re not fighting for truth or freedom, you’re fighting to have a place to live,” he says. “How many people, right now, are looking at being out on the street in one month? Two months? You’re going to relate to that. You’re going to relate to the idea that some power is out there that can just take away where you live, take away your livelihood. If that’s where things are, maybe I shouldn’t be a sheep.”
[...]
You can’t just say, ‘The world is craptastic and you can’t do anything about it.’ No. You don’t have to save the world, but you need to be able to save your mother or the apartment you and your friends live in. You need to make sure your neighborhood isn’t rolled over by the boostergangs.”

But every lifepath requires a sacrifice. Whether it's personal freedom, freedom from corpos, money or security. I really enjoyed the conversation with Kerry about leaving and the loss of freedom, for him refusing the corpo deals and becoming independent would have been just another kind of loss. They control everything, the "better" path depends on the person and their subjective goals.

Also this is subjective, but I didn't even find Night City too dystopic. There is crime and violence, raging materialism and alienation, but it's not too far off from the current state of things.

Guest 4521245

all very interesting replies, I'll try to answer to all

in general, the reason why I find cyberware for pleasure and power (not medical reasons in any way, I specified this) wrong on many levels is that it violates the principle of keeping your body whole and your system pure, analogies with software and phones make no sense because the human body is neither, it's a unique machine of which we have ownership and responsibility and you may disagree on this principle and have a more mechanistic view on it all and that's fine, but I think CDPR knew that a lot of players would question the whole idea and as such we have a lot of hints on the moral dimension of enancing your body, both socially and spiritually for people, I would have liked V as well to reflect this and it would have been both fun and interesting to see V as a naive non-modified person exposed to the nature of night city, leaving up to the player what to explore and really going deep, it's probably too much to add in the game but the discussion about it is interesting

what I meant about a "normal" perspective is the nomads mostly, some more nomad like characters or more interactions with the monks that I found extremely fascinating, they were the perfect perspective I was looking for in the game, but it's all a couple of voice lines, even though very thought provoking

@TLeining your post managed to be at the same time understanding, ignorant, rude and nice, so I don't know what to tell you without starting a book here on this forum but I can tell you how I feel: I don't need any "trigger warnings" nor am I somehow unfit to have "entertainment" whatever that means, and all of this stuff is fascinating, otherwise I wouldn't have written all of this and just stopped playing, what I mean by "purity" is not a religious concept nor am I talking about any racial or homophobic nazi stuff, I don't know if it came out that way xD but what I mean is more like the perspective of a personal trainer, a passionate personal trainer who knows the value and importance of keeping your body "pure"
I'm sure you can understand what I mean, installing invasive hardware fused with your flesh is insane, unless it's made to save a life or replace a limb or a genuine medical reason, to restore the balance of an individual, not to enhance it, for @naddaya too (very interesting response) to replace an arm you would replace the arm with a synthetic equivalent, not give it a subdermal missile launcher, so there's morality to that too and I would imagine in the near future that will be a factor.
in the game, I found that it both knows how "horrible and cool" it all is, and treat it like nothing without any repercussion or consequence, I would have liked certain characters being displeased with too much cyberware or mocking you for the opposite, it would have added the cherry on top of the narrative for me, then we can all disagree and it's only more interesting exhancge of ideas :)

also when you said "this is a contradiction" there's absolutely no contradiction in the quote because it's not even a statement, "normal" for us is different than "normal" in the game it's an obvious point, it seemed like you were trying to play some game instead of replying, and in other points you were thoughtful and gave the benefit of the doubt, so that's why I find your reply interesting

as for the "doing good" concept, I agree it's always a contradiction in games and indeed I had a lot of fun brutally murdering hundreds of people in the game, that's the suspension of disbelief that we're all accustomed to, I think what I wanted to say in my post is:
this game striked me for both how deep it goes in concepts and how shallow it remains in practice, what it lacked was a contemporary perspective in my opinion and Johnny isn't it, johnny is a likeable but psychotic character with a million and a half dead people on his conscience, he didn't act alone but the planted a nuke in the middle of a city because he hated a corporation, he's very bad and the game knows it, there's really no one that sees the fucked up world we have to go through and after a while it all felt kind of depressing to play, that's why I made the post to see if anyone was with me

I'm sure you can understand what I mean, installing invasive hardware fused with your flesh is insane, unless it's made to save a life or replace a limb or a genuine medical reason, to restore the balance of an individual, not to enhance it, for @naddaya too (very interesting response) to replace an arm you would replace the arm with a synthetic equivalent, not give it a subdermal missile launcher, so there's morality to that too and I would imagine in the near future that will be a factor.

Ok I don't think I fully get your arm example. Where do you find the morality issue in that?

A subdermal missile launcher would be.. a lot, but I'd have no issues getting an implant that makes my arm stronger if technology allows it, money is not an issue and it's not a risky procedure. Without having a missing limb to begin with, I don't mean a full replacement but synthetic muscle, stronger bones, stuff like that. If some type of eye surgery were to dramatically improve my sight without further risks I'd pick it over, say, corrective lasik in a heartbeat.

Would it give me an advantage over someone that didn't have the surgery? Yes. Would this bother me? Nope.
What would worry me would be the increasing inequality between who can afford "enhancements" and the rest of the population. That stems from how the technology is used by humans, not cyberware itself.

Guest 4521245

my problem with this kind of modification is subjective after all, but do you really not see any problem with removing your natural eyes and replacing them with manufactured ones, to have extra functions? nothing wrong or not advisable about that? I can get that you like the concept, but is it worth it to you to renounce something unique to you with something manufactured in industry? that's why I say it's subjective, I have a strong connection with my body and just the thought is horrifying to me, and extremely dumb, the kind of thing that you would forever regret, it may be different for you
Post automatically merged:

as for the missile launcher, it would certainly be military restricted technology, but if you were a soldier, would you modify your body in such a deep way to do your job?

If your problem is with body modification and you think CP2077 should be different, then you should do your homework, the minute you stop body modification then its stops being cyberpunk.

The basic concept is this: the world of Cyberpunk ISN'T desirable or good, it's a dystopia full of squallor, it represents a society that has completely gone mad and destroyed everything "natural" in the world (or at least north america),

It's supposed to work that way: Creator himself said following: "Cyberpunk Was a Warning, Not an Aspiration"

You mentioned that have seen movie Blade Runner, yes that's cyberpunk film. If you read cyberpunk literature, you may notice quite clear trend about these worlds being dystopias. It explorers many themes, humanity being one, not magical humanity, but what we actually are and what kind of messed up things our desires may lead us.

But I have some good news for you. You are not messed up. Even creator of the settings agree with you, you gotta be an idiot to desire future like this.
Post automatically merged:

If your problem is with body modification and you think CP2077 should be different, then you should do your homework, the minute you stop body modification then its stops being cyberpunk.
I don't think Gibson's later works, at least Pattern Recognition actually have any chrome or body modification at all.

Top Bottom