Biggest problems Gwent is facing right now (March 2018)

+

• Connection issues

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • Coin Flip

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Simplifying the game

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Faction Identity and design philosophy

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Balancing

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Other... (comment below)

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

There seem to be more and more people complaining about the problems Gwent has right now, but more often than not, these are pretty low impact considering the game is still technically in (late) development. I thought I'd share my opinion on what the top 5 biggest problems in Gwent are right now.

Connection issues
Ever since the Midwinter patch, connection issues have surfaced all over the globe on all platforms and haven't been fixed since. I believe this is a number 1 priority problem, above all else, no question.

Coin Flip
There is no question that the coin flip has a large impact on the outcome of the match. Even the official tournaments realize this, so they artificially skew the coin flip results to make it fairer for the players. Many suggestions have been tossed around. My personal favorite is to give the player going first a unique extra card in the first round; when played, it would draw you a card and instantly lose you the round. (I cannot find the original post, if anyone finds it, please link it to me so that I can credit the author).

Simplifying the game
Removing complex mechanics... Brokvar Hunter (now Tuirseach Hunter) used to gain 1 strength whenever an adjacent ally would take damage. Why take this away? Why create cards like Aedirnian Mauler? Those cards then only serve as an "okay" pick in Arena, or possibly as a universal starter card for new players that get trashed within the first couple of hours of play.

Faction Identity and design philosophy
Now, this is probably the most subjective part of this post, but hear me out. Many factions now feel very similar. For example, all factions now have multiple tutors, and cards are designed around the tutors instead of the other way around. Remember the Stammelford's Tremors nerf one month ago? There is a general consensus that Ithlinne was the problem, not Stammelford's Tremors (though I do think that both cards should have been adjusted). I would personally rework most tutors that pull bronze special cards because those special cards are now unplayable without those tutors, and that is even a problem in Arena. Also, creating one dimensional or binary cards like Vernon Roche: Merciless is a bad decision in my opinion.

Balancing
I really appreciate that we got explanations for most of the nerfs in the last patch. Even if some of the reasoning was flawed, it's very good to hear why certain cards had to be changed. However, many cards that are terribly balanced in my opinion received no change whatsoever. For example, the Tuirseach Beastmasters and Half-Elf Hunters are 12 unconditional points with many synergies, yet every other unconditional bronze has a base of 11 with very limited synergies. However, all of this is very easy to fix. If there weren't a competitive scene for Gwent already, I wouldn't even list this as a problem since the game isn't even officially out yet, but since it is, this has to be addressed.
In your opinion, what is the biggest problem in Gwent at the moment?

Last edited:
Honestly, since I'm just starting out, I'm finding the Connection Issues the biggest problem at the moment. I thought it was my internet, but reading the forums and searching around google brought up that a lot of other people are having the same issue, such as the game stalling out in match. I have no idea if it's just on the PS4 or if the PC is suffering too, but it seems like an all-around issue.

servers are a mess. tired of fighting through disconnects just for a keg that probably gives zip to begin with. i don't recall the last time i got a gold i didn't have. and i don't have all the cards, missing a large chunk (maybe 1/3?) of the golds. i've gotten 2 golds in the past 100 kegs, and both were duplicates.

Connection issues, no doubt about it IMO.

The other issues at the most hinder gameplay, but constant disconnects (that many people seem to be having) prevent gameplay.

I voted the coinflip because even though the servers issues are real, I have no doubt that they will be fixed as soon as they possibly can (it's not something we have to ask for, CDPR know their job and are fully aware of the issue).

The coinflip, on the other hand, is the everlasting problem of the game and is yet to be resolved.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yeah, definitely the connection issues. I didnt have much trouble with it since the MidWinter Update, but since this last Arena Update its been ridiculous, couldnt even finish a match against a friend yesterday, despite multiple tries.

Also wanted to counter something the OP said - he complains about Beastmasters, as i've seen many such complaints in the last months, and although im playing devil's advocate here, as i hate the card too, i cant understand why no one complains about SC Half-Elf Hunter!

The Beastmaster plays 12 points in 2 units - a 1+11. The Half-Elf Hunter plats 12 pts too in 2 units too - a 6+6. That is just better! Since your points are more distributed, if the opponent wants to use a Alzur's Thunder or Viper Witcher hitting for 10pts, he will have to waste damage to hit those units. And yet NO ONE complains about those damned Half Elf Hunters! Why?

alexandr22;n10619952 said:
My biggest problem is balance. I dislike the new rng cards in general . I liked a lot premid winter patch gwent .

I honestly like some of the create cards, including the dreaded Elven Scout. But I dislike cards with too much variance that have a large impact, like the Runestones. If your opponent pulls a lock from a runestone, you're fucked.

DRK3;n10621702 said:
And yet NO ONE complains about those damned Half Elf Hunters! Why?

No one, you say!? Seriously, though, Half-Elf Hunter doesn't have as much synergy as Beastmaster has. Usually, it's only used as a filler because it has an Elf tag (for Aelirenn and Iorveth). Not saying that Half-Elf is weak or anything.

4RM3D;n10621762 said:
No one, you say!? Seriously, though, Half-Elf Hunter doesn't have as much synergy as Beastmaster has. Usually, it's only used as a filler because it has an Elf tag (for Aelirenn and Iorveth). Not saying that Half-Elf is weak or anything.

Well, let's see. Tell me if I missed anything.

Half-Elf Hunter synergies:
Aerilenn
Vrihedd Vanguard
Saessenthessis
Iorveth

Tuirseach Bearmaster synergies
Restore
Heymaey Battle Maiden
Berserker Marauder
Bone Talisman (and by extension Heymaey Protector)
Olaf
Tuirseach Veteran
+ Minor synergies with Priestess of Freya, Sigrdrifa and Gremist (with Roar)

Last edited:
DannyGuy;n10621812 said:
Well, let's see. Tell me if I missed anything.

Half-Elf Hunter synergies:
Aerilenn
Vrihedd Vanguard
Saessenthessis
Iorveth

Tuirseach Bearmaster synergies
Restore
Heymaey Battle Maiden
Berserker Marauder
Bone Talisman (and by extension Heymaey Protector)
Olaf
+ Minor synergies with Priestess of Freya, Sigrdrifa and Gremist (with Roar)

bear spam also plays the dude that strengthens everyone from his clan so he is usually a 4 or 5 + summon 11 or 8 + summon 11 with restore

Coin flip because it is known since ages that the order of play have a direct impact in winning ratio, thats why all recent CCG have a way to balance it

DRK3

Forum veteran
4RM3D;n10621762 said:

Sorry, i hadnt seen any complaints about it yet, but then again, they all seemed to come from the same guy, who shares his distaste for the SC card as me.

And thanks DannyGuy indeed the Beastmasters might be more problematic when you can spam 6,7, 8 in a match, but also its possible to scorch the more reckless players. One time i scorched 5 bears at once, it was glorious, and im sure there are people who have done even better, while the half elf hunters are outside of scorch range or other ways to deal with all of them at once.

duskynoir;n10619832 said:
Honestly, since I'm just starting out, I'm finding the Connection Issues the biggest problem at the moment. I thought it was my internet, but reading the forums and searching around google brought up that a lot of other people are having the same issue, such as the game stalling out in match. I have no idea if it's just on the PS4 or if the PC is suffering too, but it seems like an all-around issue.

I've had massive problems on xbox as well.

Top Bottom