Black wall textures in Toussaint

+
Hello fellas. I know I'm late to the party but I'm just now getting around to playing Blood & Wine DLC. Other then the fact that it's totally righteous and fantastic, I've noticed some glaring black textures on the wall in some houses. I thought it was my HD Project Reworked mod but I uninstalled it and they are still there. Then I went a step further and installed my 2nd copy of The WItcher WH on my GoG client. Fresh GOTY copy without any mods.... and guess what? There're there still! At this point the only thing left to do is to come here and ask this nice community of fellow witchers and witcheresses to see if maybe my entire PC is at fault (doubtful).

The medium sized house next to the Metinna Gate sign post is a perfect place to try it. I have noticed that it's in basically all the houses with a climbable latter.
My OCD is kind of driving me nuts so if anyone can post back I would be extremely grateful :)

The problem with mods can be that some of them leave traces. Even after you remove a mod, it can still affect your save game. So, if the save game is messed up because of the mods, a fresh installation alone won't do it...

In general: what hardware specs are you actually playing with?

Also, did you try verifying the integrity of game cache?

Hi. Thanks for replying. I did verify my Steam game installation. Twice. Also my Steam install is the only one with mods. I also have a GoG version( bought the GOTY version from GoG to support CDPR). The GoG version is a brand new fresh install with no mods, and the black textures still exist. All it would take is for anyone to go to the house I pointed out to see if they too have the same issues. I also found someone else with the same issues by searching the forum:

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...t-by-halk-hogan-pl.62456/page-21#post-2808253

I'm still not convinced that it's a vanilla problem, and feel like the problem is still on my end. Will do further testing and start a new game to see the results. If you have some time and can visit the said Metinna Gate house you would rock the most and hardest \m/

As mentioned before, a fresh installation alone won‘t do in case you are using the old save games.

Also, you still didn‘t mention your PC specs.

As I mentioned....I am doing further testing. Which I did with fresh install and brand new game and same outcome. What's weird is that Geralt gets affected too. If you look at my screenshot you'll see the black textures have spread onto his armor. Almost like it's supposed to be a shadow. It's non the less weird looking and don't think the developers were going for that look.
As I also mentioned; well actually I asked was for anyone else to go to the house I included in the screenshot, which would further help solve the issue. If everyone else's game has the same black textures in the same locations, mods no mods that's a vanilla bug.
My specs(sorry I forgot to include in last post)

Windows 10 Home - 64bit (latest build)
MSI GTX980ti
MSI Z97G45 motherboard
i5 4690K
16GB DDR3 1600MHz XMP

Pics with brand new game. You'll notice 51 minutes of game time. Open pics in new tab if they are too small

Thanks for trying to help.
Post automatically merged:

Looks like someone else tried to help and went out to the location I asked and replied back with the same issues.

tnt83
21 June 2020, 7:54AMIt looks like some kind of shadow glitch
I am now convinced it is a vanilla glitch. How did this get past CDPR game testing???

Last edited:
If you are also having an integrated graphics card on your computer, make sure the game only uses the GTX980ti.

You can also experiment with different GPU drivers. The game is 5 years old and not all drivers that Nvidia has released since that are running smoothly. V390 or v399 is often running better. With the latest drivers it varies a lot.

Also, you might have to experiment with the settings more. And close every non essential background app.

If you are overclocking gpu, cpu, or ram, thats not ideal either.

Before reinstalling you might also have to get rid of the folder where the input.settings file for TW3 is (usually that TW3 folder is in the documents section of the Windows) as changes here can affect the fresh installation.

Last edited:
I've been running into the same problem, but it's on Xbox, and only happens inside some of the colonnades in Toussaint.

I've been running into the same problem, but it's on Xbox, and only happens inside some of the colonnades in Toussaint.

Regarding xbox I can only redirect you to the official CDPR support website:

If none of the suggestions help, you can contact them (click on Contact Us to send a ticket).

Also please make sure to test older save games too, in case it is a bugged save game.

If you are also having an integrated graphics card on your computer, make sure the game only uses the GTX980ti.

You can also experiment with different GPU drivers. The game is 5 years old and not all drivers that Nvidia has released since that are running smoothly. V390 or v399 is often running better. With the latest drivers it varies a lot.

Also, you might have to experiment with the settings more. And close every non essential background app.

If you are overclocking gpu, cpu, or ram, thats not ideal either.

Before reinstalling you might also have to get rid of the folder where the input.settings file for TW3 is (usually that TW3 folder is in the documents section of the Windows) as changes here can affect the fresh installation.
Dude seriously? I've been giving plenty of examples required for CDPR to see this is on them. When Nvidia updates their drivers all the previous updates from previous drivers get patched in with their latest version so all the fixes are included in their latest drivers. I don't run excessive background apps. I simply "end task" in task manager or uncheck them in msconfig on startup(in windows 10 it's now in task manager). Please don't assume I overclock my hardware. Not everybody can afford new hardware every year. I know better then that. I've been building my own PCs for awhile now. Not trying to boast, but I'm saying you learn a few things along the way...the hard way. Before installing the new fresh install on GoG, I removed the entire Witcher folder from my Documents folder. That includes all the input.settings, user.settings and gamesaves. Everything was brand new.

I don't have the time to mess around with older drivers. That's going backwards. I'm done testing this. There are other people mentioning this issue so it would at least warrant CDPR to look into this. The game is still selling on all platforms including Xbox, Playstation, Switch, Steam, Epic, etc.

It all comes down to how much everyone wants this fixed, and if enough people care. If non of us voice our opinions they won't do anything about it.

I don‘t assume anything, I‘m simply pointing out possible causes (that have caused similar issues in the past). Anyhow, as mentioned before, the official Cdpr support website can be found here:
https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-3/pc/sp-technical/issue/992/my-game-crashes-4 (click on Contact us to send a ticket)
OK I will try to send them a ticket maybe they will at least look at it. Anyhoo thanks for trying to help Devivre. Bugs and glitches are frustrating. Sorry for being a @*&% in my last post. I'm about to have to go to work and I really would rather just sit home and play The Witcher:)

Top Bottom