Blade Runner 2049 : Bar for 2077 higher now?

+

Blade Runner 2049 : Bar for 2077 higher now?

• Total voters
So Gregski and I saw this in glorious 4D. We got spit on yay. Also swooshed. We liked it a lot. I came out fairly sure CDPR would have another visual work to be compared to but that Red writing chops are far greater.

Thoughts?

Try to remember to use spoiler tags by the way. SOME PEOPLE get real excited if you don't...

Sardukhar;n9667491 said:
So Gregski and I saw this in glorious 4D. We got spit on yay. Also swooshed. We liked it a lot.

is that not horribly distracting? it's about the stupidest way to watch a movie that I can imagine. but I never actually tried it...

Voted the second option. I don't think there's much relation except for "Cyberpunk".

I haven't seen it yet, but I'll watch it in 2D when I can. I heard the cinematographer hates 3D and the plan was (early on at least) to add those 3D effects afterwards, so normal 2D is probably the intended experience anyway and the least distracting one (no shit from 3D or anything, just watching the movie).

I think 3D is way overrated anyway.

Last edited:
Option 2. 2049 will put cyberpunk back into the mainstream for a while, and now that Amazon is developing Snow Crash, there could be even more popular support for cyberpunk in the mainstream. I think this is only great news for CP2077. If they time the release with the upswing in interest we could be looking at a huge success that will allow for even further development of CP2077 in the future.

I'm afraid Blade Runner 2049 will create false expectations for people uninitiated in 2020, as it's not at all the same type of setting and world. It's not about genetically engineered "robot people", actual robots, or AI, and people will be wondering where all of that is in 2077. They'll also be quite surprised with all the color, loud rock'n'roll and the complete lack of a gloomy, post-apocalyptic dystopia.

Sydanyo;n9670381 said:
I'm afraid Blade Runner 2049 will create false expectations for people uninitiated in 2020, as it's not at all the same type of setting and world. It's not about genetically engineered "robot people", actual robots, or AI, and people will be wondering where all of that is in 2077. They'll also be quite surprised with all the color, loud rock'n'roll and the complete lack of a gloomy, post-apocalyptic dystopia.
Nah, it'll be fine. Observer and Ruiner are also not about replicants, robots, AI and other "man and machine" shenanigans. The former, in fact, explores the iffy subject of CP2020, implant technology inside human body and all that jazz.

But yeah, the bar is skyrocketed far high after seeing BR2049, expecting the script no less than awe excellent and technologies matching the year 2077 in title.

metalmaniac21;n9670501 said:
explores the iffy subject of CP2020, implant technology inside human body and all that jazz.

That's not really the case for CP2020, as everyone and their grandma and dog have cyberwear of some sort because it's both the "Cool Thing" to do and for about a good chunk of the world's pop, it's part of the job to have an implant. That line is better suited for the later Deus Ex games where people with Cyberwear are ostracized and oppressed. And i really want to play both Observer and Ruiner, they both got nice vibes around them from the gameplay videos I've seen.

As for Nu-Blade Runner, I havn't seen it yet. I'm gonna wait the long months for it to hit Blu-Ray DVD. I ain't gonna pull out a loan for a ticket, a small popcorn and small soda

Well, back in the day I purchased Cyberpunk 2020 because "it was like Blade Runner", probably the exposure to the new film will bring more people to the fold...

As for the new movie I neither like it nor hate it. Some amazing stuff in it, other not so great... I need to watch it a second time. My primary disappointment is that I'm not freaking out :(

I picked option 2 as well, loved the movie and hope it gets Cyberpunk 2077 more exposure.
@ walkingdarkly I hear you about the cost of theater foodstuff, costs more than a ticket. I usually eat before I go or throw some granola bars or candy in my pockets and get a cup of ice and fill with water from fountain. And I went to matinee showing before noon which was only $8.

Last edited:
I think they already had pretty high expectations for themselves. They make games they want to play. Meet that bar and everyone else will probably like it too. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being an influence in one way or another.

i hope cp2077 sticks closer to cyberpunk conventions. while i thought br2049 was ok, i felt it relied on too many hollywood conventions. for instance the story revolved around the fate of the entire species, it had too many monologues, and i thought the ending was too sentimental. just my thoughts...

CDPR needs to be straightforward and clear: 2077 will be very different from Blade runner. No beating around the bush here.

That said: whatever someone thinks of it, it is the work of an artist, instead of someone Hollywood $ trends ( you can see the difference between this and GITS). I want CDPR to do the same...make something people will still discuss 50 years from now, as both Blade runners are.

Games like GTA V are fun and popular, but only outstanding by their profit margins.

People who voted for "Yes yes it is. Substantially higher": Leorgrium, animalfather, metalmaniac21, Lisbeth_Salander. Litterally the only cool users here.

animalfather;n9670251 said:
Yes. in every way from story to backdrop variety. i also demand an AI waifu now.

I prefer a waifu like Luv. She is the best girl because she is great and she is better than you at anything.

or was mariette the best one? Perhaps both, at the same time.

Last edited:
Giant Joi all the way baby.

I thought Blade Runner 2049 was a great film, not a near perfect sequel as some people are saying but still it was pretty great.

Not gonna lie though and say I kept thinking of 2077 as I was watching the film especially when Ryan Goslings character was in the city.:D

I always thought GITS is more similar to Cyberpunk 2077, due to acceptance of cybernetics, where as BR its Humans vs Synthetics, so imho there is no bar to set. I think it will provide a lot of inspiration to Cyberpunk2077 story/depth wise and atmosphere, but it will be its own thing.

Top Bottom