Blade Runner Appreciation Thread

+

DC9V

Forum veteran
Yesterday, on June 25th, Blade Runner was released in 1982.
76ADA12B-1FBF-472A-B1E7-6B3DD3BC871E.jpeg

Ridley Scott is an amazing director but the credit for Bladerunner goes to Philip K Dick. He was a genius. A little nuts perhaps and not quite as exciting as Hollywood but when it comes to having your books turned into sci fi movies Philip K Dick is the champion.

DC9V

Forum veteran
I'd also like to take the opportunity to praise CDPR for creating that Blade Runner Easter Egg in Cyberpunk 2077, which I think is pretty remarkable and deserves more attention from an artistic point of view. At the time when I've discovered it during my first play-through, I haven't watched the movie yet. However, it instantly felt like a scene from a familiar movie. It felt special. It felt unrelated to the main story, yet it provided the same quality. It truly felt like a tribute, although I had no idea what it was about. Well done!

Last edited:
I was on a long flight last weekend and ended up rewatching Blade Runner 2049, which made me appreciate the origianl movie more. On my first viewing, I quite liked 2049, but after this rewatch I have to say that, although I still liked it a lot and thought it was a very good film, there's something about the original that really makes it stand out more.

I think I've seen the original 3 times, and each time I've watched it, the film seems to get better and better. I can only think of a few movies that are like that for me: Chinatown, Gladiator, Heat, In Bruges, Lord of the Rings, Scarface, Braveheart, There Will Be Blood and probably a couple more that I'm forgetting.

It's an extremely well-made movie that absolutely stands the test of time - it's crazy to think that it was made 40 years ago now. Something very raw and melancholic about this film, all different aspects of it coming together beautifully to form a cohesive and memorable whole. A bit of a slow burn, but it more than earns that and, in fact, it likely wouldn't be as good otherwise.

Top Bottom