Blood and Wine level requirement

+
Blood and Wine level requirement

Hi everyone. What level do you think will be required to play ? And in new game +?

I saw somewhere on the forum that you will need Lvl35+ <--- But it could also be complete BS so take it with a pinch of salt.

I have no idea for NG+

According to community lead Marcin Momot it's 35ish (through twitter, can't find the relevant tweet right now tho). I find that to be a little on the low side so I hope it'll end up being higher, like 40ish or something. Otherwise it'll be way too easy to rush through the XP pack after you've finished the main game + HoS (you'd be about 38-40).

@Nazafyn Do you know if the 2nd expansion is ment to be played after main game or would it fit in during the main game just like HOS did?

According to a recent interview, the expansion begins at level 34 if started separately, but it is recommended to be at least at level 36-37, as the difficulty has been increased compared to the main game and even Hearts of Stone. Also, it can be played before and after the ending, and it makes some (probably not major) differences in the expansion.

Last edited:
Required level is ~35.
You can start it during the main game or after.
But in an german interview it was mentioned , that is better to start after the main game.

Do you guys know if fresh start is going to be an option again, like in the case of Hearts of Stone?

Do you guys know if fresh start is going to be an option again, like in the case of Hearts of Stone?

Yes, from the interview linked above:
I: Expansion was made for a certain level character. What entry level you recommend?

K: When you choose to start Blood and Wine separately, we set the character level on 34. You can play it with this level, but it’s going to be pretty hard for you. The proper entry level I think is more like 36 or 37. Depending on your level, the progression looks a bit different, but we made sure that the game is always challenging.

Yes, from the interview linked above:

Wow, sorry for the dumb question, I even read your post, but somehow didn't connect the dots and thought that level 34 is the recommended minimum level to start. Now I get it that played separately = fresh start. Thank you. :)

I read an interview on a Polish site yesterday with one of the devs from CDPR and he stated that the actual level requirement for B&W will be level 34. But he also said that starting at this level (which is also the level you will be at if you went straight into B&W as a new game) it is going to be tough! He suggests level 36 would be a little more comfortable for most people.

FYI, regarding the required level of NG+, Marcin said this.
Recommended would be around 64 with Death March being about 70.

Last edited:
So they are going to change how difficulty levels work too? I'm really confused now.

Why? Recommended level for starting BaW is going to be somewhere around 35. If you are on your NG+ playthrough it is probably going to be around 70. It's perfectly consistent the way I see it.

Here is an interview that one of the forum members translated. And this is a part where Konrad Tomaszkiewicz talks about the recommended level

I: Expansion was made for a certain level character. What entry level you recommend?

K: When you choose to start Blood and Wine separately, we set the character level on 34. You can play it with this level, but it’s going to be pretty hard for you. The proper entry level I think is more like 36 or 37. Depending on your level, the progression looks a bit different, but we made sure that the game is always challenging.

That interview may contain some minor spoilers, so if you don't want to know anything besides the level requirement you might want to avoid it.

Thanks for the info guys , I started a new playthrough about 2 weeks ago and slowly doing quests awaiting the release of B&W

Thanks for all your answers people ! I am just at the end game with a 68 character. I'll just do some Witcher gear quest and some contracts waiting for the expansion.

Why? Recommended level for starting BaW is going to be somewhere around 35. If you are on your NG+ playthrough it is probably going to be around 70. It's perfectly consistent the way I see it.

Here is an interview that one of the forum members translated. And this is a part where Konrad Tomaszkiewicz talks about the recommended level

That interview may contain some minor spoilers, so if you don't want to know anything besides the level requirement you might want to avoid it.

He said "Recommended would be around 64 with Death March being about 70.". Meaning that death march will require a different level which is something that isn't in the game right now. How will that work if you feel like switching difficulties mid game? Just trying to wrap my mind around it.

He said "Recommended would be around 64 with Death March being about 70.". Meaning that death march will require a different level which is something that isn't in the game right now. How will that work if you feel like switching difficulties mid game? Just trying to wrap my mind around it.

No man, I don't think he meant it literally. I think he wanted to say that the recommended level (recommended by the game) is going to be 64. However, if you are playing on death march difficulty it would probably be better if you started the expansion a bit more powerful, like level 70 (because the game is more difficult on death march). It's the same as in that quote I posted earlier

K: When you choose to start Blood and Wine separately, we set the character level on 34. You can play it with this level, but it’s going to be pretty hard for you. The proper entry level I think is more like 36 or 37.

I think that while there is a recommended level (34 is recommended by the game), the reds who have played feel as though you would be better off if you started the expansion with Geralt being a few levels higher (37 is recommended by the devs :)).

I don't think that his words were literal, but just a simple advice.

While I'm excited for more TW3 content and a good challenge, this whole level 60+ thing is becoming a bit ridiculous and, in my opinion, breaking the game's internal consistency. As a video game, it's a legitimate resource. As a role-playing game, the leveling scale is already off the charts. E.g.: why is a level 36 Geralt better prepared than a level 34 Geralt to go to Toussant? And if there is such a significant gap between mid-range levels, what the hell is a level 70 Geralt? If the "power" increase is somewhat logarithmic, a level 70 Geralt wouldn't be necessarily much more powerful than, say, a level 50 or 60. If he is, he'd be some sort of demigod. Compare with a level 1 Geralt from TW3, with his memory and abilities fully restored. Wasn't he already a legendary swordsman?

I know, I know. "Shut up, it's just a video game".

I know, I know. "Shut up, it's just a video game".

Na, its not just a video game ;)

Btw, i agree with you.
It doesn't really makes much sense, but to be honest, i dont care about this point.
Just a game design decision

Top Bottom