Blood and Wine -- Official Soundtrack

+

Burza46

CD PROJEKT RED
Blood and Wine -- Official Soundtrack

The official soundtrack from Blood and Wine is now available on Spotify, iTunes and Google Play!

It's an amazing listen as always, thank you folks :) I was wondering if you were planning to release HoS and BaW soundtracks on your own platform at least (GoG). Or maybe will you prepare an extended OST with all the songs (main + expansions + some extra) and sell it on GoG DRM free? I'm sure many people wouldn't mind paying for these amazing albums :)

While iTunes, Spotify and Google Play are okay, I guess, I use none of them... When I buy music (and games) I want to own them, not feel like I'm merely renting them. And I'm somewhat surprised that CD Project Red, with their clear stance on DRM chose these particular distribution channels.
Please, please, please release this soundtrack, and the Hearts of Steel one, on either physical disk or through GOG! I want to give you money for this wonderful music, please let me.

@Burza46: Can you please revise the policy of releasing music only through DRMed / DRM-ish services and try to release it through truly DRM-free ones, and especially with support for FLAC?

Bandcamp would be the best, GOG is also OK (though GOG has less music usability features, but at least it's DRM-free and has FLAC releases). What is the reason that you don't do it still, aren't CDPR in control of such releases, or you don't really own the music?

Personally, I'm not using any of the services listed above. But I use Bandcamp and GOG.

Given that you built a strong reputation of supporting DRM-free releases, it's disturbing to see that you started reversing it in different aspects (music, comics, books and etc.).

---------- Updated at 09:20 PM ----------

A post by Bandcamp about DRM-free releases and where music industry is moving:
https://blog.bandcamp.com/2016/05/19/bandcamp-downloads-streaming-and-the-inescapably-bright-future/

Last edited:
Weren't the last Witcher soundtracks made available on GOG? Yeah, I'd rather buy it there. Seems odd not to provide it DRM free.

Something happened around the time of TW3 extended soundtrack release. If I remember correctly, since then no Witcher music was released on GOG or any other DRM-free store. So it's clearly a company policy now, and a worrisome one, since they can't say "publisher demands it" or any other such thing if they own the music.

Well, Spotify's standard version is for free. If you go premium, you get a few bonuses like better music quality, no commercials inside the app or ability to DL tracks and listen while offline(but still inside Spotify app). But as it's based on streaming, it's not really about "owning" the music.

Well, Spotify's standard version is for free. If you go premium, you get a few bonuses like better music quality, no commercials inside the app or ability to DL tracks and listen while offline(but still inside Spotify app). But as it's based on streaming, it's not really about "owning" the music.

I'd rephrase it. Spotify is based on subscription / renting and limiting access (DRM). Streaming shouldn't be confused with it (for some reason it often is). To clarify what I mean. Streaming is simply a convenience. I.e. you might want to stream some media from the cloud server without need to store it on your device permanently. Like Youtube allows for example. Streaming does not imply that one has to forbid to store the data it if user wants it. I.e. some store can as well offer streaming as convenience, and ability to store the file DRM-free in order to play it any way user wants (without any DRM "apps" attached). In fact Bandcamp do exactly that for music. They give you both streaming and downloading for your purchases.

What Spotify are doing isn't just enabling streaming. They prevent downloading, i.e. they offer renting service. That's the basis of their approach. One can argue that renting is a senseless idea in the digital realm, but apparently it affects contracts with creators (be it music, films or etc.). And it drags in all the DRM garbage, since they need to "make sure it's renting and not purchasing".

That's why I'm not using digital renting services.

Top Bottom