Blood and Wine released, The wicher 3 finished, no word from CDPR

+
Really? Man at least go do some research if you are gonna say things like this.Have you even read the books? Where do you think they take place? In pitch blackness...? With no definitions or settings for all those places... They even asked him while trying to come up with a map or outlines for cities etc.. I could go on explaining this. But not going to. Well yes . But as you said ''after witcher 3''. The books are what they based the game on.

Like i said before inspiration for them mostly are not books, but real places. Novigrad is based on medieval Amsterdam, Velen on slavic countries, Toussaint on France/Italy etc. They worked a little bit with Sapkowski many many years ago before Witcher 1 on map and nothing more. Of course i read the books, in fact many many years ago. Short stories are very very good, but saga is mediocre.

Yes it was gorgeus...luckily B&W is worth replaying it...concerning cyberpunk I have to admit that sadly the overall setting doesnt really interest me. Im still going to buy it I think...

Good point, but for such effort, for a truly remastered version of the game, they need to update the code, models, textures, animations, sounds, cutscenes and everything, to really provide a superb experience.

Well, I never really talked about sound or even animations (I think they're both pretty good, actually), but I get what you mean. However, the vast majority of the cutscenes are made in realtime with the game engine, so they come "for free" if you update the rest. As for high quality meshes and textures, they already have them, because the "master" versions of everything always has somewhat bigger quality than required, so you can downscale it when you optimize the game. The LOD files afaik are created from that meshes and baked-in in the game assets, modders already determined that long time ago I think - and that's why the modders cannot do anything about it.
So I guess that the process of improving the graphics is doable without much effort, from a 200+ employees company, maybe as a side project when the big work on CP2077's engine and tools is over (that's what they're working mainly on right now, according to CDPR itself).

Oh, and I wrote that post knowing absolutely nothing about the Skyrim announcement... but I'm glad Bethesda did that. Of course, on PC it's gonna be useless if you have mods, but TW3 does not have such "radical" and powerful mods as Skyrim, because of the vastly inferior modding tools and because the graphics engine is not as flexible as the modders would like - see my comment above about LOD. So for TW3, either CDPR is doing it or nothing will happen. (btw about price: Skyrim SE will be free for owners of the full game. But I'm still ready to pay some $$$ to get a remastered version of TW3, I'm sure CDPR would make a fair price, thay always do)

Actually I hope that either MS or Sony approach CDPR and put out the good money to convince them to make a remastered TW3 as a launch title. MS has scheduled the new console for holidays 2017, and it's gonna have 4x the raw power of the XB1.

Never understood the graphics argument. They did fairly well here actually with W3.
The downside is that when too many human resources get involved in this, they have no time to make the narrative properly, so we end up with a Nilfgaardian camp in Velen without "any" kind of suspicious loitering army around.

This is a very valid argument of course - i.e. how much resources to allocate to beautify the game world and how much to narrative, and the importance of storytelling in RPGs etc. - but only during development.
Right now, development of new content has stopped. There are no new resources being allocated to TW3's narrative regardless of whether they make a remaster or not. So fetching out old material they already have developed (and spent money on) is not gonna hurt narrative in any way. It's probably just a win-win situation for both CDPR and the gamers.

OivalfSelat

You have a solid argument, i agree.

I doubt see this during or after Cyberpunk, maybe 2020? if some possibility exist.

Skyrim remastered is like Doom 3 BFG, it looks better, but is just a silly result. But after Fallout 4, i lost my hope with BGS, they are too big and have a fanbase incapable to criticize... anyway, other lands.

Yes it was gorgeus...luckily B&W is worth replaying it...concerning cyberpunk I have to admit that sadly the overall setting doesnt really interest me. Im still going to buy it I think...

CDPR making scifi.. Or atleast something of sorts. Cant wait. Were probably not gonna get anything this conserning cyberpunk this year.

Oh, I forgot to add /sarcasm at the end of my previous post, I apologize if I mislead anyone. I just can't understand how failing to add one character completely destroys the standing of an excellent dev and an amazing piece of art :) (or rather, completely would change the opinion/bitterness of some posters, which is a bit obvious now) And this is coming from someone who played with Iorveth's side 4 times out of the 5 total completion of Witcher 2. But I digress.

Last edited:
The Witcher series is the best saga I played in more than 20 years of gaming.
CD Projekt RED made a superlative job but don't forget that the story is based on the Sapkowski books,
I don't think that the story of CyberPunk can be that amazing.

In any case I have full confidence on REDs, I will give them my money as they ask for it.
I love them all.

The Witcher series is the best saga I played in more than 20 years of gaming.
CD Projekt RED made a superlative job but don't forget that the story is based on the Sapkowski books,
I don't think that the story of CyberPunk can be that amazing.
My point exactly... Man, finally found someone who sees this standing point. Thought i was the only one. The main problem with games is that the story can never be as deep as a work of literature. DA: Inquisition for example had great gameplay elements. Lot of fun to play. Lots of customization and lots of choices to make as far as RPG's go. But the lore,the story and the characters were just, weak. Not down to earth. To create a lore and a background takes a lot of time. We are talking years, even decades. That is why i am more in favor of specilazing in ceratin lore's, genres and universes.

My point exactly... Man, finally found someone who sees this standing point. Thought i was the only one. The main problem with games is that the story can never be as deep as a work of literature. DA: Inquisition for example had great gameplay elements. Lot of fun to play. Lots of customization and lots of choices to make as far as RPG's go. But the lore,the story and the characters were just, weak. Not down to earth. To create a lore and a background takes a lot of time. We are talking years, even decades. That is why i am more in favor of specilazing in ceratin lore's, genres and universes.

We're lucky then that CDPR don't need to create lore and background from scratch with Cyberpunk 2077 :)

We're lucky then that CDPR don't need to create lore and background from scratch with Cyberpunk 2077
Indeed that could be said. But is the lore for the Cyberpunk universe as well written,spesific and complete? Thats up for debate. Also the characters they will have to create from scratch. But let us hope that CDPR delivers and we get a great game with a great story and characters . I really hope that will be the case. I do have my doubts though. For it will be nothing like what they have worked on/done.

My point exactly... Man, finally found someone who sees this standing point. Thought i was the only one. The main problem with games is that the story can never be as deep as a work of literature.

As far as the story is concerned, it does not really matter if the game relies on existing literature if it still tells a new story, like the Witcher series. The limitations and advantages of each medium are the same either way. The books do add to the lore, at least for those who actually read them, but they also limit how the games can be written, especially if they are intended to be RPGs where players need at least some freedom to define the protagonist's character with their choices. In my opinion, in the long run (with a saga of multiple games) it is better not to adapt books, because over time the lore advantage decreases and the limitations of having to conform to someone else's already established characters become more apparent.

I also do not agree that games inherently lack depth if effort is actually put into the writing. The amount of dialogue, books and other readables, journal entries, etc. in The Witcher 3 and its expansions would be enough to fill multiple novels. And some of the best characters and stories (like the Bloody Baron) are not based on the books.

DA: Inquisition for example had great gameplay elements. Lot of fun to play. Lots of customization and lots of choices to make as far as RPG's go. But the lore,the story and the characters were just, weak. Not down to earth.

Which is not necessarily because they are not adaptations. Maybe BioWare are just not as good at writing, or it was not as high priority in the development compared to other aspects like customization and choice as you already mentioned. Or are you suggesting that all games and movies should be adaptations of existing literature, since anything else would be inferior ?

To create a lore and a background takes a lot of time. We are talking years, even decades.

CDPR do spend years on making a game - more than a decade already on the trilogy, and they now have a large team of talented writers. Personally, I would like to see what they can come up with in a game written entirely from scratch, rather than being content with endless (and in my opinion entirely unnecessary) Witcher sequels. Hopefully that unnamed other AAA RPG title planned to be released until 2021 is indeed a new IP. When people are convinced that future games that are not adaptations of Sapkowski's books would be worse, it is the best time to prove them wrong by releasing some great non-Witcher games. :)

Top Bottom