Blood Decals

+
Ok I started playing the game with patch 1.02 and still not fixed for anyone curious, it's really weird to see rabbits beautifully bleeding all over and then you fight humans and nothing :p

Has anyone noticed if there is blood on your weapons after attacks, btw?. I'm asking because I can't see from videos so far.

Just wondering, if it's a thing or not. It bugs me in games, when its missing. Looks wrong imo lol.

Nope, the sword stays clean, weird, don't remember Witcher 1 but in TW2 it could get dirty from blood or gargoyle lava or whatever that was.

Ok I started playing the game with patch 1.02 and still not fixed for anyone curious, it's really weird to see rabbits beautifully bleeding all over and then you fight humans and nothing :p

Nope, the sword stays clean, weird, don't remember Witcher 1 but in TW2 it could get dirty from blood or gargoyle lava or whatever that was.

I take that back @Asmodean778, there is blood on the sword buuuuut... it seems it's also bugged as I was fighting nekkers now and after 5 hours of playing my sword for the first time got bloody but only for about 1-2 seconds.

I take that back @Asmodean778, there is blood on the sword buuuuut... it seems it's also bugged as I was fighting nekkers now and after 5 hours of playing my sword for the first time got bloody but only for about 1-2 seconds.

Yeah. A lot of graphical related bugs currently. If i'd more patience, I'd wait on a few weeks to play it, but I don't ;p

it was weird, right, patch 1.02 and still nothing there :), so I do hope next patch 1.03 will do this job, blood decals can be fixed as confirmed :)
In the meanwhile, we can adjust by editing user.settings to increase blood pool,

it was weird, right, patch 1.02 and still nothing there :), so I do hope next patch 1.03 will do this job, blood decals can be fixed as confirmed :)
In the meanwhile, we can adjust by editing user.settings to increase blood pool,

Which of the files i should edit and which option is for blood pool also which option is to increase how long the blood decal stays on the ground?

Which of the files i should edit and which option is for blood pool also which option is to increase how long the blood decal stays on the ground?
I am not sure due to I have not touched game yet, but you can try by yourself at follows, and please advise us the result :)
the link here : http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...ormance-and-tweaking-guide#config-file-tweaks

"First, configure in-game settings to your liking, then exit the game. Head to C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\The Witcher 3 and backup user.settings. Open user.settings with a text editor, such as Notepad++, and edit one or more of the values described below. Save your modified file, and in Windows Explorer right click on it, selecting Properties. Click "Read-only", and finally, "Apply". This will prevent The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt from overriding your changes, allowing you to enjoy the tweaked visuals.
Detail Level Tweaks
The in-game Detail Level setting is limited to adjusting the visible range of static decals. In the config file you can further increase their visibility, and the visibility of other related items, too.
[LevelOfDetail]
DecalsHideDistance= [Ultra value: 80]
DynamicDecalsHideDistance= [Default value: 20]
DimmerHideDistance= [Default value: 60]
StripeHideDistance= [Default value: 60]
SwarmHideDistance= [Default value: 200]

We're fairly certain that DynamicDecals are the animated pools of blood that ooze out of slain monsters, but the other options we can only guess at given the limited time available to us.
In another section of the config file you can increase the chance of decals spawning (not every sword strike results in an emitted decal on '1'), and increase the distance at which decals will spawn, allowing distant enemies to emit blood spatter when hit.
[Rendering]
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff= [Default value: 10]
DecalsChance= [Default value: 1]
You can also experiment with the cvMaxAllowedDecalsDynamic and cvMaxAllowedDecalsSS values under [Budget], which could result in an increased number of decals in large battles. We can't say for sure though because battles and decal spawning are impossible to precisely replicate"

Last edited:
I figured they wouldn't have fix by release, but I imagine they will shortly. I'm going to do some tweaks, see what happens.

Hello my fellow bloodthirsty comrades! I am so glad that I'm not the only person who notices such 'small' details. I am very upset about the fact that CD Project whet our appetites with the 35 minutes gameplay trailer by showing us the most detailed and impressive gore system ever to be implemented in a videogame. Finally, enemy corpses didn't disappear after 10 seconds, leaving a cheap loot bag on the ground. Finally, enemies bled at each strike, the sword went through their flesh like a sharp knife through butter. Blood and flesh particles flew through the air - hit the ground and REMAINED there. Water tinged red realistically when flesh parts and blood slumped in it. The sword got colored red after a battle, blood stains and wounds were visible on enemies.

But apparently, CD Project didn't have the courage to pull this promise through until the end. Like almost every other developer out there, they were inconsequent in regard to an authentic gore system and likewise fell victim to logical issues and mistakes.

I mean why in god's name can you slice a human in half but not a wolf? Why do humans leave blood pools after their deaths and get bloody but not animals? Why don't they have flesh wounds and trails on their bodies after a battle and why don't they bleed out like humans?

You guys have no problems with glorifying humanoid violence but bristle when it comes to animals? Are you animal welfarists or what? That's totally inexplicable!

Another thing I don't get is why you make all the effort of creating blood splatter and traces when they are supposed to disappear after 3 seconds anyway?! Why not let them being visible until the player leaves the area at least? It's 2015 and not 1998! I mean you developers always seem to seek the ultimate realism in terms of flora and fauna, physics and graphics, but you absolutely lack of motivation in creating a believable and authentic violence/gore system. It totally affects the immersion! In The Witcher 2, for instance, corpses disappeared after 8 (!) seconds. I didn't even have the chance to feel any regret for all the men that I had slaughtered in a battle. Didn't feel any achievement or sense of epicness after large scaled combats. Clinically clean battlefields in a gritty world - this doesn't fit.

I wish you guys wouldn't have showed us the impressive and pathbreaking gore effects in the early gameplay trailers in the first place. Then the disappointment wouldn't have been so strong. I feel sort of betrayed as I pre-ordered the game mainly because of its groundbreaking portrayal of violence, sensitizing players that violence has severe and cruel consequences. No disappearing bodies, fading blood stains or limbs. It promised an adult experience, equal to authentic violence in great and meaningful movies. Finally making video games equal to films. But in this state, the gore system in W3 is almost a fraud.

I hope you guys intend to fix these issues for us mature players who put attention to deatil and appreciate a flawless and plausible gaming experience!

Please, CD Projekt, give us back what we initially paid for! Blood splatter, red tinted water, flesh wounds, lying around limbs and flesh particles, permanently visible corpses and blood pools beneath them (until the player reaches a certain distance to them), realisticly wounded animals with possible dismemberments, a bloody sword and so on and so forth!

After all those delays, the early hype train, the downgrade debacle and all, this is the least you guys have to do for us! You owe this to us honest players who have been filling your pockets with money and your tables with food for years now! Please!

I am currently playing on the 1.02 PC version of the game and I have noticed blood decals when fighting bandits. Also worth noticing is the fact that not all sword swings and cuts will result in blood splatter left which is CDPR desing of choice and I completely agree with it, this is how it should be done - not all cuts can be deep and severe.

There are blood splatters, but not that much and not with every sword hit. Sometimes it's more noticeable. Sometimes you have pools of blood on the floor, sometimes not.

What I see a lot is dismembered foes. Arms, head, even full waist cut or torso cut in diagonal.

I think there is a setting in the INI files to change the amount of details (blood splatters if we trust in NVIDIA tweak guide) but I haven't check this out yet.

I saw sombe blood going into water, but the effect was not as evident than in 2014 demo tho.

I play with everythin on ultra if that has to do with anything on the matter.

The only blood I've noticed so far is a little slat on the ground after you kill something. Which vanishes after about 1.5 seconds lol. What happend to that glorious blood trails, etc we seen prior release?.

They hardly went to the trouble of working on blood effects only to remove them?. Hopefully it's a bug, I guess.

I dunno. Something just doesn't look right to my eyes when i'm slicing things with a 4ft sword and there's no blood on either the blade, or the opponent. : o

It has to be a bug...surely?. Why would they be so strict with decals? They cost practically no performance on PC.

Top Bottom