Blood Decals

+
I tried several different settings in the configuration file and didn't notice any difference. The biggest problem I have with the system right now is that the blood disappear very quickly from a blood splatter. It's there for like 3 seconds, even when I stand near it. I wish the config file had the setting to increase that time to around 15 seconds, it would be great.

I did see some blood splatters on Bandits in the newest PC version. But it dissapears really quickly. It stayt for like 1-2 seconds and then fades away.

Hello my fellow bloodthirsty comrades! I am so glad that I'm not the only person who notices such 'small' details. I am very upset about the fact that CD Project whet our appetites with the 35 minutes gameplay trailer by showing us the most detailed and impressive gore system ever to be implemented in a videogame. Finally, enemy corpses didn't disappear after 10 seconds, leaving a cheap loot bag on the ground. Finally, enemies bled at each strike, the sword went through their flesh like a sharp knife through butter. Blood and flesh particles flew through the air - hit the ground and REMAINED there. Water tinged red realistically when flesh parts and blood slumped in it. The sword got colored red after a battle, blood stains and wounds were visible on enemies.

But apparently, CD Project didn't have the courage to pull this promise through until the end. Like almost every other developer out there, they were inconsequent in regard to an authentic gore system and likewise fell victim to logical issues and mistakes.

I mean why in god's name can you slice a human in half but not a wolf? Why do humans leave blood pools after their deaths and get bloody but not animals? Why don't they have flesh wounds and trails on their bodies after a battle and why don't they bleed out like humans?

You guys have no problems with glorifying humanoid violence but bristle when it comes to animals? Are you animal welfarists or what? That's totally inexplicable!

Another thing I don't get is why you make all the effort of creating blood splatter and traces when they are supposed to disappear after 3 seconds anyway?! Why not let them being visible until the player leaves the area at least? It's 2015 and not 1998! I mean you developers always seem to seek the ultimate realism in terms of flora and fauna, physics and graphics, but you absolutely lack of motivation in creating a believable and authentic violence/gore system. It totally affects the immersion! In The Witcher 2, for instance, corpses disappeared after 8 (!) seconds. I didn't even have the chance to feel any regret for all the men that I had slaughtered in a battle. Didn't feel any achievement or sense of epicness after large scaled combats. Clinically clean battlefields in a gritty world - this doesn't fit.

I wish you guys wouldn't have showed us the impressive and pathbreaking gore effects in the early gameplay trailers in the first place. Then the disappointment wouldn't have been so strong. I feel sort of betrayed as I pre-ordered the game mainly because of its groundbreaking portrayal of violence, sensitizing players that violence has severe and cruel consequences. No disappearing bodies, fading blood stains or limbs. It promised an adult experience, equal to authentic violence in great and meaningful movies. Finally making video games equal to films. But in this state, the gore system in W3 is almost a fraud.

I hope you guys intend to fix these issues for us mature players who put attention to deatil and appreciate a flawless and plausible gaming experience!

Please, CD Projekt, give us back what we initially paid for! Blood splatter, red tinted water, flesh wounds, lying around limbs and flesh particles, permanently visible corpses and blood pools beneath them (until the player reaches a certain distance to them), realisticly wounded animals with possible dismemberments, a bloody sword and so on and so forth!

After all those delays, the early hype train, the downgrade debacle and all, this is the least you guys have to do for us! You owe this to us honest players who have been filling your pockets with money and your tables with food for years now! Please!

I am severely disappointed as well.

Well it's definitely an oversight, the game is huge so I can understand that, but now that they now about it at least we can hope they'll fix it.

Apparantly bears bleed differently. They bleed darker with different blood decals. The whole bleeding system in place is messed up.

Well it's definitely an oversight, the game is huge so I can understand that, but now that they now about it at least we can hope they'll fix it.
i do hope they will fix it in next patch 1.03 , if you play on pc, you can adjust user.ini file to see more blood but still very little :)
So I do hope mods will come soon, if they wont fix it, we will have another option for this :)

please advise us how to do that if you are successful, many tks! :)

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...ormance-and-tweaking-guide#config-file-tweaks

Just follow that guide and you'll have more blood decals, and they'll stay on ground for a longer period of time, although it's not as aggressive as we've seen in footage before. Also you can increase the density of foliage and and such. So, I've got The Witcher 3 looking the way I like it. I've tried a few SweetFX presets, but they're either too cool in temp, causing the menu and inventory to have strong blue tint, or there is too much sharpness.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...ormance-and-tweaking-guide#config-file-tweaks

Just follow that guide and you'll have more blood decals, and they'll stay on ground for a longer period of time, although it's not as aggressive as we've seen in footage before. Also you can increase the density of foliage and and such. So, I've got The Witcher 3 looking the way I like it. I've tried a few SweetFX presets, but they're either too cool in temp, causing the menu and inventory to have strong blue tint, or there is too much sharpness.

Many tks for this, I have tried this one and still have more blood decals than before, but could you please advise me which one of them can be edited to make blood decals will stay on the ground longer as much as they can? :)

Many tks for this, I have tried this one and still have more blood decals than before, but could you please advise me which one of them can be edited to make blood decals will stay on the ground longer as much as they can? :)

DynamicDecalsHideDistance. Modify that.

What bothers me a lot more than the silly blood decals are these issues:

- Blood puddles beneath humanoid corpses disappear after 30 seconds (they should be visible until the player reaches a great distance to the dead body)

- All dead individuals disappear after a few minutes, even if you stand right besides them (first the blood puddle, then the entire body), only a loot back remains if not looted before

- Animals like bears, wolves, dogs etc. receive absolutely no flesh wounds or cuts and don't generate blood puddles beneath their corpses. Only their bowles lie on the ground but not a single drop of blood with it. The blood splatter effects work on animals but the splatter on the ground already fades away after 2 seconds

- Cut limbs disappear quickly from the ground, leaving no bloody traces either

- blood puddles in the water look the same as on solid ground (looks absolutely ridiculous)

- no red tinted water/ coloration

- the blood flow out of crippled body parts instantly stops after decapitation/slaying limbs, rushing blood doesn't hit the ground but instead disappears into nowhere

- no flesh particles flying around

They fu**** up the gore system of the gorgeous 35 min. video big time. I wan't my money back!

What bothers me a lot more than the silly blood decals are these issues:

- Blood puddles beneath humanoid corpses disappear after 30 seconds (they should be visible until the player reaches a great distance to the dead body)

- All dead individuals disappear after a few minutes, even if you stand right besides them (first the blood puddle, then the entire body), only a loot back remains if not looted before

- Animals like bears, wolves, dogs etc. receive absolutely no flesh wounds or cuts and don't generate blood puddles beneath their corpses. Only their bowles lie on the ground but not a single drop of blood with it. The blood splatter effects work on animals but the splatter on the ground already fades away after 2 seconds

- Cut limbs disappear quickly from the ground, leaving no bloody traces either

- blood puddles in the water look the same as on solid ground (looks absolutely ridiculous)

- no red tinted water/ coloration

- the blood flow out of crippled body parts instantly stops after decapitation/slaying limbs, rushing blood doesn't hit the ground but instead disappears into nowhere

- no flesh particles flying around

They fu**** up the gore system of the gorgeous 35 min. video big time. I wan't my money back!

I feel upset aswell. I kinda want a refund....they sacrificed quality for profit, they reduced gore so it could be sold in other countries. Certain animals have different shades of blood and they have different blood behavior, some puddle some dont. Bears have dark, different decals. Humans bleed rarely, drowners dont bleed. Wolves have no ragdoll physics. These things upset me and i hope they listen to the community and make some changes. If they do suh thing i will play the shit out of this game.

With the new huge patch coming in approximately a week, I hope they address this issue : ). I would love for the devs to bring the gore back into the game. I just hope they do it before I finish my first playthrough :p

With the new huge patch coming in approximately a week, I hope they address this issue : ). I would love for the devs to bring the gore back into the game. I just hope they do it before I finish my first playthrough :p
my hope too :) but they do remember, dont they? :)

Guys I am 12+ hours in the game but at this point, my motivation completely stopped because of the toned down gore system. The disappearing blood stains, puddles and corpses drive me nuts, pull me completely out of immersion after each battle. Especially the lack of any blood and gore simulation on animals bug the hell out of me - this is so inconsistent!

You know I'm the type of player who likes to wander around after a combat and enjoy the signs of a hard and satisfying battle. Feeling sorry for the defeated enemy, looting them thoroughly, looking at their fatal injuries, red soaked battlefield and feel a sort of regret. BUT in this game the authenticity gets permanently interrupted when the blood and corpses disappear all of a sudden like a graphical glitch or something. I mean even games in the 90s could render permanent visible corpses and blood. THIS is supposed to be a 'next-gen' rpg experience? Pathetic!

Even Skyrim offered corpses to remain the entire game already 4 years ago! Red Dead Redemption 5 years ago (btw best and most authentic gore system I've ever seen!).

Why did you guys show us all the magnificent footage in the 35 minutes gameplay video CD Projekt? WHY?! You are worse than those cutthroats at Ubisoft! Promising us something and then cutting it right before release, including a major overall graphics downgrade a la Watch Dogs.

I am sooo upset, angry and feel betrayed. I was literally lured to preorder after seeing the 35 min gameplay video. The final product is not near as good as in the concerned footage. I won't buy the season pass anymore that's for sure. I will not waste a single more buck until this mess of a gore system has been addressed.

I put my PS4 controller down in the meantime. Is this what I have been waiting for since 2013? Come on Red, this is how you appreciate honest customers? By lying to them, denying evident things? By ignoring them?

I don't know what to say anymore. My gamer heart is crying right now as it has been severely disappointed once more...

Guys I am 12+ hours in the game but at this point, my motivation completely stopped because of the toned down gore system. The disappearing blood stains, puddles and corpses drive me nuts, pull me completely out of immersion after each battle. Especially the lack of any blood and gore simulation on animals bug the hell out of me - this is so inconsistent!

You know I'm the type of player who likes to wander around after a combat and enjoy the signs of a hard and satisfying battle. Feeling sorry for the defeated enemy, looting them thoroughly, looking at their fatal injuries, red soaked battlefield and feel a sort of regret. BUT in this game the authenticity gets permanently interrupted when the blood and corpses disappear all of a sudden like a graphical glitch or something. I mean even games in the 90s could render permanent visible corpses and blood. THIS is supposed to be a 'next-gen' rpg experience? Pathetic!

Even Skyrim offered corpses to remain the entire game already 4 years ago! Red Dead Redemption 5 years ago (btw best and most authentic gore system I've ever seen!).

Why did you guys show us all the magnificent footage in the 35 minutes gameplay video CD Projekt? WHY?! You are worse than those cutthroats at Ubisoft! Promising us something and then cutting it right before release, including a major overall graphics downgrade a la Watch Dogs.

I am sooo upset, angry and feel betrayed. I was literally lured to preorder after seeing the 35 min gameplay video. The final product is not near as good as in the concerned footage. I won't buy the season pass anymore that's for sure. I will not waste a single more buck until this mess of a gore system has been addressed.

I put my PS4 controller down in the meantime. Is this what I have been waiting for since 2013? Come on Red, this is how you appreciate honest customers? By lying to them, denying evident things? By ignoring them?

I don't know what to say anymore. My gamer heart is crying right now as it has been severely disappointed once more...

I completely back you 10000000% i feel cheated as well!

Before it gets overlooked. I have found a bug regarding the horse riding animation. When you walk slowly with Roach, the animation is broken and it feels like microstuttering because the animation loop doesn't run smooth. It hurts the eyes so much, especially when you prefer to ride slowly on a horse to enjoy the view like I do. When I galopp or go at medium speed, the stuttering stops and it runs smoothly. Only when the horse is 'walking'. This issue has been posted on YouTube by a PC player as well, I experienced the exact same issue on PS4:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5I5EZB9aA

How could this huge bug be overseen after so much development time? It's almost a game breaker.

And in combination with the fact that the camera always adjusts automatically behind the horse 1 second after looking in another direction then upfront, the horse riding in its actual form is a pain! I want the camera to stay in the direction where I adjusted it with the right analog stick, enjoying a 360 degree view of the scenery while on a horseback, without being automatically repositioned behind Geralt's and Roach's back!

Please CD Projekt, at least make this an option in the settings menu. When walking on foot, it works much better with the camera as it doesn't auto adjust as quickly as on horse, but still annoying and not optimal. Please implement an option to disable the auto adjustment of the camera movement controlled by the right analog stick, on horse as well as on foot. I want to be able to adjust it manually as I wish and then REAMAIN at that position until I move the camera again while riding/walking, please I beg you!

Fix this and the horse stuttering and maybe I can play further waiting for the gore system to be addressed. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I have to say, after 19+ hours in the game, the absence of blood in and after battle is a great disapointment. Combat aren't that difficult, even in highest difficulty, and that would not matter if, at least, we had something that feels worth figthing for. So yeah you can cut your ennemies badly, dismenber them even, but the absence of blood is quite meh. I'm not demanding BLOODBORN level of Blood, but bring back the 35min footage blood for god sakes.

Top Bottom