Blood & Gore system

+
I'm a huge fan of blood and gore systems in a video game because they can make a lot of fights and abilities feel gratifying, it can also make it feel believable. Moments like when the grenades went off and the man's body went flying are awesome and work well if the creators are going for an over the top arcadey type of gore system. Although I believe a comfortable middle where the combat is gory and the people aren't blood bags is the way to go. To make this super digestible im going to hyperlink to the moments in the trailer where the gore is shown and how I believe they can be improved upon.

Unnecessary Gore: There are multiple moments in this game where a character is hit with a blunt object such as Robo fists, Dumbells, or Punch combo but they splatter blood like they have been shot by a high caliber weapon.
Improvements: It would be better to replace these effects with either maybe sweat/spit or a small line of blood that would come out the nose or mouth (but they nailed the bone crunch noise). Also seeing the effects of the damage on a victim of blunt force trauma makes the action feel that much better, here are some examples where all these systems are incorporated into one game. Taken from RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2. (1) (2) (3)

Limb Evaporation: While it is fun to see enemy body parts explode into blood and bones I believe it's best done when encountering a truly devastating round and not at random. Heads shouldn't explode from only revolver rounds and the lower half of a body shouldn't evaporate from an explosion either.
Improvements: The level of damage should be relative to the caliber and ammo type. Explosions disconnecting the lower half of the body from the upper would make a better choice instead of evaporating it all together. Here are some examples from RDR2 That show what I mean. (Pistol round to the face - (1) (2) ) (Shotgun Damage)

These are just some of my recommendations on how to improve the gore system to this amazing looking game and I would like to know if others feel the same way or disagree. Sometimes goofy blood splatters work for a game trying to maintain that kind of atmosphere so I might be in the wrong here. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I don't really mind if the gore stays like it is now - not perfect, but good enough for me. However your analysis is a very well thought-out and has tons of constructive criticism / improvement suggestions. Kudos for not simply complaining. I hope CDPR reads your post and has enough time to implement some of those...

I love blood and gore. From the looks of the game, it seems that there will be dismemberment, decapitations, and head explosions, which I greatly appreciate.

Yes, I'm totally in for blunts, blood splatters accordingly to the force of impact, and scars made accordingly to any type of violence (with chance that the scars stay during healing if the wound's not healed upon a certain time).

If the blood and gore is like Gears Of War I’ll be happy, but I don’t think it will be that detailed. We’ll probably be able to pop heads and appendages off but not much more. I figured this being Cyberpunk we’d get brutal blood and gore like Gears considering the setting but i don’t think it’ll happen

I think the gore will be light.
Sure it could be "Soldier of fortune" gory, but that's how you get your game banned from Germany and Australia :/

I suspect blood and gore to be an option that can be chosen. This simply to get around certain countries censorship rules. In some countries certain options would be locked.

Please make it optional, I want to play CP, not Doom.

Well, the source material is gore, 8pts damage and your limb get blow off (reason why you need to replace it with chrome).
Now there's "gore" and GORE with guts and bits of brains.

I think the game should feel "rude" about it's violence, but not going in glorification of it, it would add nothing, it's not resident evil.

Given both the tech available at this time (modern and exotic weaponry) and minding out-of-game aspects (how consumers perceive it or what regulations might be in place), we can likely settle (or hope for) a strong violent visual approach with gore and blood that doesn't over-do it at the same time.

Well, the source material is gore, 8pts damage and your limb get blow off (reason why you need to replace it with chrome).
Now there's "gore" and GORE with guts and bits of brains.

I think the game should feel "rude" about it's violence, but not going in glorification of it, it would add nothing, it's not resident evil.

Well, it doesn't seem like it'll be more graphic than what we've seen on the demos... it looks like a regular mature FPS to me. Postal 2 was more violent in comparison.

Guest 4310777

I'd like to see fallout style levels of blood and gore, just prettier and more sophisticated

I don't like gore but I can live with it unless it's way over-exaggerated. There have been some moments in the material released so far (such as several of those linked in the OP) that I've found to be over-the-top and unnecessarily gruesome.

Gore for the sake of gore... not my cup of tea -- but it's a small enough thing to not really matter to me when looking at a game as a whole.

As stupid as they are i love the exagerrated head and limb explosions. Maybe i like Fallout 3 and New Vegas way too much but i blame those games.

Though i would like to see bullet wounds on enemies or even on V if possible. Or maybe different type of wounds when attacked by different types of bullets. Could get a bit borderlands-esque with all the lightning, poison, fire type damage but i don't really care.

Top Bottom