Blood & Gore system

+
It looked pretty finished to me, and I'm glad for that. I very much prefer disintegrating limbs over lego body parts all over the floor.

Yeah I have to say, what I even like more than the "right amount of gore" with potential limb loss or blood splatters would be potential trails of blood (within reason) and bullet, burn or slash markings on enemies. Dead or alive.

I rarely see this in games and sometimes only mods can do it for games (Skyrim, Fallout, etc) but it can also give you contextual info. You are likely not always the person to begin combat, you might see different factions engage and if you find bodies you could (on a superficial level) determine cause of violent death. Thus giving you information what weaponry potential foes might use. If bodies around you are burned to a crisp in violent position and even shell casings lie around you know there was an open fight with someone using incendiary or explosive weaponry. If you find bodies with (select) slashes in "normal" positions and little indicator of a gunfight tread lightly, someone might use stealth and melee weapons. Or, you know just look at your own work and admire it.

So long story short, "cause of death marks" aren't just for looks and immersion but have a practical side effect. Unclear as to how they raise the overall gore factor but I reckon that's a nonissue in the face of exploding limbs and bodies.

>\Do enemies fight with limbs shot off?
June 17/18 Kyle Rowley: "Yes they do. We have a wounded state when limbs are dismembered."

:|...
"You sure about cutting my arm with that rusty saw?"
"Yeaaahhh just a flesh wound mate!"...

I've been hurt pretty badly sometimes.
With the shock, sure you're wonded, but either you scream in a mix of trauma and agony, either you just pass out...

I find it absolutely ridiculous.
Unless the dude use some painkiller combat drugs, no way he stand up on one leg and his friend shoot you with one arm.

Reminds me of Postal 2, when you managed to skillfully throw the machete, cutting both arms to someone and they'd run, armless, screaming and spraying blood everywhere..

I've once saw a gruesome video of a guy having his arm ripped off (yeah, we all ends up having that kind of shit showed to us sometimes at a party with too much booze), trust me, he wasn't like
" yeah, can we rip the other too, so it looks a bit more symetric?"

IMO, blowing a limb should be brutal and just shut the fight off (that's how I always played it tho).
Now... You blow a limb to the dude, to roam around the factory, pass by the same way on your way back, maybe he'd be like, getting his gun and using his last drops of blood to finish the job if no one helped him, but please, no Monty Python bullshit...

"It's just a fleshwound" meme incoming, dont say I didn't warned you...

I find it absolutely ridiculous.
Unless the dude use some painkiller combat drugs, no way he stand up on one leg and his friend shoot you with one arm.
How do we know the ones who keep fighting aren't on some kind of super combat stims? Possibly they have some kind of anti shock implant to help them survive critical injuries. Or maybe the limb you blew off was mostly cybernetic and the artificial nerves kept the pain below incapacitating levels.

I have no idea if any of that fits the lore, but I love the idea of possibly encountering an enemy who is such a beast that he will still try to fight me with both legs gone. I will remember that guy as something other than cyborg #2000, and I think that's pretty cool.

I do agree that it could be very distracting if we see it too often, but the occasional unexpectedly epic foe is all good in my book.

Why would he need to stand up?

Also: dont underestimate the effect of augmentations. What if he has. shadowrun-style, inner bladder augments releasing painkilling drugs to bloodstream in such a case. What if the shot-off arm was wholly cybernetic that just unattached?

Human not being incapacitated from one wound (that is not heart, spine, or head) is in fact quite realistic.

Why would he need to stand up?

Also: dont underestimate the effect of augmentations. What if he has. shadowrun-style, inner bladder augments releasing painkilling drugs to bloodstream in such a case. What if the shot-off arm was wholly cybernetic that just unattached?

Human not being incapacitated from one wound (that is not heart, spine, or head) is in fact quite realistic.

"Fainting, also called syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness caused by a decreased blood flow to the brain. ... Sometimes people faint after vaccination. People who faint might fall and injure themselves if they are not sitting or lying down at the time that they lose consciousness."

I've had an motocycle accident once, lost a chunk of meat, nothing deadly or awfully gore, but still, trust me, the only thing you feel is a sudden adrenaline rush, your first instinct is to run to safety (pure survival instinct) and then you start to see stars and faint.

In the lore there are some pain removal drugs, so no problem about that.
I was talking about it as if it would be a generic combat mecanic.
I'd rather have them screaming and rolling on the ground.

We're not talking about a bit of meat loss but a whole limb blown off in what should be the most traumatic pain one could endure.
And for having being involved in some accidents (as said above) I can only fantom what it would be like to suffer even worse.
I mean, some people faints just from a vaccine.

If artificial limb, well, it's not like losing a flesh-limb so my logic of course doesn't apply.
I remember (I guess suhiira could correct me since she was in the army) that once a military told me that the "shock" you get from being shot at is sometime enought to make you lose consciousness (it's so fast and brutal, your system just shut down).

There's tons of police interventions vids on YouTube, most of the time when the suspect is shot he justs fall unconscious on the ground. Sure, augments would make them last longer but unless they're not under drug they should be less combative when there hit really badly, otherwise id be a bit too arcady I think.

Last edited:
I don't really need big bloodspalshes when someone gets damaged. Showing the results of the violence is much more effective (gruesome visual details of the carnage on people along with the severed limbs that's already there, blood on floor and walls... Violence isn't fun, it should be distressing).

Last edited:
I would actually like to see lots of blood since humans have gallons and gallons of blood in their system, instead of showing blood in unrealistic manners.

For example, a pool of blood still spreading or someone gets wounded and it shows the NPC bleeding out.

Blood and gore make things believable in my opinion. When story telling and adding action to something in a dark genre, not post apocalyptic, but dystopia, things need to be mixed about to create a symphony between the anatomy of bodies and the way they would respond realistically, especially when in this game scene where the story generally revolves around dark themes. Not to mention immersing a player in a world includes making things believable. My opinion is humbly asking they make things as close to real ballistics as possible (even if some things are futuristic and out of this world, Star Wars and plenty of other imaginations have created laser wounds and such before) and definitely change the way autoparts in bodies and modifications play role with ballistics in weapons. Would be a plus for me, coming from Fallout and Blade Runner, Dredd, and quite a few other inspirations.

I have been playing some red dead 2 for the PC lately and I really love the Ragdolls and their reaction to getting shot. One thing I noticed while playing is a "dying" state for an NPC that has been shot in vital areas.

Last edited:
Yes i am playing red dead redemption 2 and i like the level of violence of that game. All small details but they overall work and finally blood stains and wound that don't disappear.

2077 can't have gore because of it being hyped up. I'm sure red will fail to meet expectations for the gore. Also despite it's rating, it's for teens and up.

Even if it's rated M, just I'm just stating this.

Well, I get what you're driving at, but that's not how rating systems work. It's M, meaning, "It's for mature audiences, 17+."

Will teens wind up playing it? Of course, but that's not something that a studio needs to worry about if they're fine with an M rating. It's now on the parents. No need to pull punches with the gameplay, so to speak. If anyone were to take issue with the fact that the game is "inappropriate" or "too much"...I can just point to the rating.

I just hope the blood at gore is realistically presented. As in, only weapons that would cause heads to explode will cause heads to explode. Aside from that, most bullets leave holes. Not pieces.

Top Bottom