Blood Patch problems

+
Got this via Steam and had blood all the way through until it got patched yesterday with the Blood Patch. Ever since then the game has been crashing all the time during combat. Is there any way I can remove the patch without having to uninstall and re-download the whole game? Everything was fine and I had blood until the patch came along.Vista SP1nVidea 7900GS (latest drivers)Intel Q66002GB RAM

I am also having constant crashing since the blood patch - I cannot continue the game.Downloaded the game over Steam. Have been playing for several days and loving it. Am now near the end of the 2nd chapter.Loaded up the game a few days ago, Steam downloaded an update for the game - the blood patch.Every time I load up my game now, my last save game was in the swamp. It crashes during load.Tried an earlier save, in the temple quarter.. this save loads, but as soon as I try to zone into the swamp... crash.Tried an even earlier save... in the crypt. The game loaded, but as soon as I got into combat - crash.I've seen a few similar reports in this very thread. I'd be happy to reinstall the game, because I was playing happily without the blood patch, but because I got the game from Steam, I don't think there's a way for me to wipe the game and reinstall it without the blood patch. I *think* that I can tell Steam to no longer update this game though. Is there a way to remove the Blood patch? Or do anything at all to continue my game?System:Vista SP1 (32 bit)NVidia 8800GTS, latest driversIntel Q66002 GB RAM

Is there any way we can remove just the Blood Patch with the Steam version of the game? Any way whatsoever?

EvoWales said:
Is there any way we can remove just the Blood Patch with the Steam version of the game? Any way whatsoever?
My advice would be to to copy over the localized.key and localized00.bif files in the data folder with the uncensored EE versions. You will have no problem with blood then! ;)This link should help you with that: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17192.0These are the files that the Blood Patch updates(localized.key and localized00.bif). Or it may just be localized00.bif that gets updated, not 100% positive on that one, but they do go hand in hand.If you were to delete those files and then run "Verify integrity of game cache ..." under game properties in Steam, it would just replace those deleted files with new ones that have Blood Patch. Same thing would happen if you were to re-download game.Try either of those options to see if it helps you... :)P.S.) You can turn off automatic updates in Steam under game properties.

I finished installing The Witcher Enhanced Edition and then installed the 580K blood patch fix. Unfortunately, the game would crash to the desktop ("The Witcher has encountered an error and needs to close...") right after launch. I uninstalled the game, re-installed (without the blood patch) and the game ran fine.Is there a known issue with the "official" blood patch? Is there another patch on the way?

A couple of people (including myself) are having the same problem, and have mentioned it in this post: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16660.0 I'm postnig in this thread just to possibly draw more attention to the problem.I'm about to try the resolution that the poster after me suggested, but I sure would prefer an official resolution to the matter. Especially since I can't just reinstall without the Blood patch, since I got the game from Steam.

The problem appears to only be with my XP x64 partition; I installed the game with the blood patch on my Vista Ultimate x64 installation and the game runs fine.Which OS are you running?

I am on Vista 32. However, after following the instructions in the other thread, I am pleased to report that my game is working again. THe suggestion was to replace two specific files with older version from the "unofficial" patch, and when I went to look for them in my Witcher directory, those files simply didn't exist. So I extracted the files in question to where they are meant to be, and amazingly it works now. I wonder if the Steam patch was bugged in some way to accidentally delete those two files instead of update them?

Thought I'd reply with my results - it works now!I followed those instructions, managed to get the two files in question - localized.key and localized00.bif from the email link. When I looked in my Witcher/Data directory for the old ones to back them up... they weren't there! Those files did not exist in my data directory, or in fact anywhere in my witcher directory. I wonder if the Steam version of the blood patch accidentally deleted them instead of updating them?Anyway, figuring my game couldn't possibly be more broken than it was already, I extracted those two files into the data directory, loaded up Steam, set it to *not* automatically update The Witcher... and my save game loads now!! Hooray!Hopefully there will be an official resolution to this problem though - patches shouldn't break the game.

Hansey said:
Thought I'd reply with my results - it works now!I followed those instructions, managed to get the two files in question - localized.key and localized00.bif from the email link. When I looked in my Witcher/Data directory for the old ones to back them up... they weren't there! Those files did not exist in my data directory, or in fact anywhere in my witcher directory. I wonder if the Steam version of the blood patch accidentally deleted them instead of updating them?Anyway, figuring my game couldn't possibly be more broken than it was already, I extracted those two files into the data directory, loaded up Steam, set it to *not* automatically update The Witcher... and my save game loads now!! Hooray!Hopefully there will be an official resolution to this problem though - patches shouldn't break the game.
Glad it worked for you!!! ;DThat was very strange for Steam update to actually delete those two files(if indeed that is what happened). :eek: Now I can understand why all the crashes.Remember you can also run "Verify integrity of game cache..." under game properties and that will make sure all files are there and updated.Be warned though that if you do that and have the US version with the uncensored fix, Steam will revert those uncensored files back to the original censored US ones. :mad:

SRC2008 said:
SRC2008 said:
My advice would be to to copy over the localized.key and localized00.bif files in the data folder with the uncensored EE versions. You will have no problem with blood then! ;)This link should help you with that: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17192.0These are the files that the Blood Patch updates(localized.key and localized00.bif). Or it may just be localized00.bif that gets updated, not 100% positive on that one, but they do go hand in hand.If you were to delete those files and then run "Verify integrity of game cache ..." under game properties in Steam, it would just replace those deleted files with new ones that have Blood Patch. Same thing would happen if you were to re-download game.Try either of those options to see if it helps you... :)P.S.) You can turn off automatic updates in Steam under game properties.
Just doing the changes to the localized files in the Steam install did the trick :DBefore combat had stopped working, now I can fight without crashing. Cheers for the help :)

According to my Avast! Antivirus, all 3 download locations listed in the Official FAQ for the North American "Blood Revival Patch" contain a trojan virus. Can anyone post a link that doesn't contain a trojan please? Thanks...

EvoWales said:
EvoWales said:
EvoWales said:
Just doing the changes to the localized files in the Steam install did the trick :DBefore combat had stopped working, now I can fight without crashing. Cheers for the help :)
Glad it worked for you!!! ;DEnjoy the game!!! ;)

RobTheGamer said:
According to my Avast! Antivirus, all 3 download locations listed in the Official FAQ for the North American "Blood Revival Patch" contain a trojan virus. Can anyone post a link that doesn't contain a trojan please? Thanks...
can you confirm this with any other antivirus?

I can confirm that Avast reported the same on my system Specifically Win32:Oliga I cant confirm with another Av due to this being my only machine and I would have to remove Avast and install a different AV program.

Okay, just as the site went down I had rescanned the patch with ClamWin and Malwarebytes and it came up clean. I sent a report to Avast! about it being a false positive

zerhackermann said:
okay, just as the site went down i had rescanned the patch with clamwin and malwarebytes and it came up clean. I sent a report to avast! About it being a false positive
10q

dear sirsI installed the blood patch on my new ee witchet that I bought because I could not get the patch to work on my xe64 system. the witcher worked normally befor I installed the blood patch but after it wouldn't even start. it just closed.LaGard

Just picked up EE, I had a post about the Blood Patch for the US edition but I closed firefox to install :( I searched a few times but i cant come up with the same post again. Anyone go a link to it?Also i was under the impression they removed the DVD check to play, my game still needs to have the dvd in drive to play. is this normal.

Top Bottom