BLOOD & WINE FANS WISHLIST

+
Doesn't add much as you would probably have completed the main game by the time you play Blood and Wine though.

Yeah, but it's still better than nothing.

I seriously doubt that any character from the base game will appear. Maybe Fringilla. Maaaaaaybe. But even that's very questionable.

Yeah, but it's still better than nothing.

I seriously doubt that any character from the base game will appear. Maybe Fringilla. Maaaaaaybe. But even that's very questionable.

Ehh you are probably right, it's just that when I finished the game or when I started playing Hearts of Stone I am really missing the main characters like Yennefer and co. It feels like it's still a great game but has something missing to me and I keep getting this feeling of nostalgia. Maybe it's just me though.

These posts from theta77 (in a Hearts of Stone thread, but also relevant here) were probably already quoted a number of times, but they do not make it look like NPCs from the main game are likely to appear in Blood and Wine:
Nope. As the expansion is paralell with the main storyline, from developers point of view it's hard to manage main NPC. How to introduce Ciri if she is not found yet? How to progress the story of the expansion if she is waitng for you in a middle of a main storyline quest? Besides - we are realy good at making sidestories and we had some realy good ideas for them, so we did them. Developers need some fun too!
And:
Both expansions will be integrated with the vanilla game. You may stop doing quests in HoS, go to find Ciri and then come back to HoS. In fact we wrote some additional dialogues to handle various orders of doing quests. Fast travel will work for all new places and old places. Also, all items obtained in the expansions may be used in main game.

I'm not sure about NG+ recomended level. I'll ask about it on Monday ant will let you know.

I really understand Mr. Blacha's point of view, but I don't think that is a problem. You cannot really manage the expansion before you find Ciri because your character will not be strong enough. I really believe that HoS would have worked better with the main NPCs (Ciri, at least) in order to give them a bit more screen time and characterization.

I really believe that HoS would have worked better with the main NPCs (Ciri, at least) in order to give them a bit more screen time and characterization.

I am not sure if CDPR would want to put content that ideally belongs in the base game (such as a part of Ciri's story) in a DLC. The expansions are meant to be stand-alone adventures that are optional to play, and not needed to fully understand the story and main characters of Wild Hunt. Combined with the above mentioned technical difficulties, it is an understandable (even if somewhat disappointing) decision to only include "new" characters in Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. And it is not like Ciri was not already given a fair amount of screen time and a complete story with an ending in the main game.

but ciri's story starts and ends in the main game, th expansions are alla bout geralt and his new adventures

I am not sure if CDPR would want to put content that ideally belongs in the base game (such as a part of Ciri's story) in a DLC. The expansions are meant to be stand-alone adventures that are optional to play, and not needed to fully understand the story and main characters of Wild Hunt. Combined with the above mentioned technical difficulties, it is an understandable (even if somewhat disappointing) decision to only include "new" characters in Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. And it is not like Ciri was not already given a fair amount of screen time and a complete story with an ending in the main game.

My problem is not the content itself, but its starting point.
1) You are looking for Ciri, being distracted with what happen in HoS doesn't really makes sense.
2) You have found Ciri, but now you have to face the Wild Hunt, which is still more important than what happens in HoS
3) You have finished the game. This would be a good starting point, right? Well...no. Cause the game reverts back before the ending.

And I guess it will be the same with BaW. Why Geralt would even want to go to Toussaint, if he
1) Has to find Ciri
2) Has to find a way to defeat the Wild Hunt

?

My problem is not the content itself, but its starting point.
1) You are looking for Ciri, being distracted with what happen in HoS doesn't really makes sense.
2) You have found Ciri, but now you have to face the Wild Hunt, which is still more important than what happens in HoS
3) You have finished the game. This would be a good starting point, right? Well...no. Cause the game reverts back before the ending.

And I guess it will be the same with BaW. Why Geralt would even want to go to Toussaint, if he
1) Has to find Ciri
2) Has to find a way to defeat the Wild Hunt

?

it is maybe aproblem with the games' system that reverts back to the point before the ending -develper/strategic/programming/priorities point of view-
the starting point of the expansion makes totally sense, for it is a conrtact a totally separated adventure that has nothing to do with the main story, take it as a "big witcher contract", to hunt down a monster and everything went bad and complicated

I'd like to see content with Triss/Yen/Ciri etc. in the Blood and Wine (and any other possible content). I feel a 30hr end-game detour (which includes HoS) without these characters, especially to romantic Toussaint, is unforgivable in respect to the main story and would be a real missed opportunity. Especially considering it is likely to be years before we get the next full entry in the series. If Blood and Wine is to be the last content, including Triss/Yen/Ciri in the this last adventure (before the long wait) would be a great way to send the fans off and a great final piece to the trilogy.

But if that is not to be the case, I'd like them to be acknowledged by the content, at least. Maybe something similar to the dialogue in Hearts of Stone. Maybe Geralt can bring gifts back for Ciri and whomever he loves. Maybe Triss/Yen can get upset at him for going to Toussaint without them and he tries to make up for it with a gift. Maybe the gifts could be new outfits, or jewellery that gives new looks for the characters. Or maybe even a new RoR for Triss. But I think they need to be acknowledged, at least. I doubt Geralt would like the idea of traveling to Toussaint and leaving them behind, and vice-versa. And I think that should be acknowledged somewhere.

The one good thing, I guess, with not including the major characters in the DLC is it saves a lot more content, scenes, scenarios, etc for future entries in the series.

I'd like to see content with Triss/Yen/Ciri etc. in the Blood and Wine (and any other possible content). I feel a 30hr end-game detour (which includes HoS) without these characters, especially to romantic Toussaint, is unforgivable in respect to the main story and would be a real missed opportunity. Especially considering it is likely to be years before we get the next full entry in the series. If Blood and Wine is to be the last content, including Triss/Yen/Ciri in the this last adventure (before the long wait) would be a great way to send the fans off and a great final piece to the trilogy.

Since The Witcher 3 is said to be the end of Geralt's story, it could very well be that other major characters from the trilogy would not appear in a future game either, should one be made. But not much is known about the future of the series yet. In Blood and Wine, it unfortunately looks like there might be only "new" characters (that is, new to TW3, but possibly returning from the books), at least from the limited information that is available. But I agree that it would be nice to have more content with the main characters.

Since The Witcher 3 is said to be the end of Geralt's story, it could very well be that other major characters from the trilogy would not appear in a future game either, should one be made. But not much is known about the future of the series yet. In Blood and Wine, it unfortunately looks like there might be only "new" characters (that is, new to TW3, but possibly returning from the books), at least from the limited information that is available. But I agree that it would be nice to have more content with the main characters.

I haven't seen anything about it being the end of Geralt's story. That being said, I haven't really looked and I tried to stay away from the forums.

But I totally expect the next game(s) to focus (in part or full) on Ciri. But Geralt is her 'father' and mentor and will, I imagine, have a huge role in her life - as are, and would, Triss and Yen. I doubt CDPR would throw away their fabled protagonist and their most popular characters and not even use them as NPCs. I expect Geralt will take over the Vesemir role of mentor and father figure (with probably a lot more screen time than Vesemir ever had). I doubt Triss or Yen will suffer much of a drop in their screen time but their roles would change. Maybe they compete as female role models in Ciri's life. But I digress.

I expect the next game to take place straight after the events covered by the epilogue slides (which seem like they take place less than a year after defeating Eredin). That's why the epilogues aren't comprehensive or conclusive. For example, it doesn't say Ciri becomes empress and what becomes of her and the empire. Or that she lived the life of a Witcher happy and free til the end of her days. Or Geralt married Triss/Yen. You're given enough to feel satisfied but so much stuff is left available to explored in future games. It neatly ties off the current arc(s) while leaving plenty of material for the next one(s). The tricky thing for CDPR will be trying to model Geralt's behaviour so he acts how people feel he should act for them, since the player won't have control over him anymore.

I've recently rewatched some let's plays. And one thing that kind of struck me, was that the REDs really seem to have a fable for noblemen's manors and estates. Which is quite nice and i'd like them to keep it that way, especially since we know that in Toussaint a lot of Nobles have their own estates for making wine.
What bothered me is that in the main gime, in times of war and in a world where war and raids and violence are truly a day to day thing the estates that they built are more like from baroque age, with sprawling gardens and smaller walls. In that kind of setting i find this to be completely unrealistic, even smaller estates should be protected far far better. I mean, in real late medieval time (which The Witcher is largely based upon), nobles didn't have sprawling estates, they had their own little castle/stronghold - they can still have gardens there. A lot of real castles (in Schaffhausen, Switzerland for example) even included there vineyard within the walls od the castle/city.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Schaffhausen_-_Munot_-_Feuerthalen_IMG_9843.JPG

And so i wish in Toussaint, even though known to be a more peaceful place, we'd see more proper small castles for nobles. Kingdom Come Deliverance does an awesome job of creating realistic castles/estates
http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/2015/04/Aufmacher-pc-games.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking as an admirer of good old keeps and strongholds, 'twould have been rather nice to have seen a few more -- functional -- castles and estates. However, given the leisurely, fairy-tale setting of Toussaint, I rather doubt we'll encounter many practical fortresses there. From the screenshot we've seen, elegant, refined, artisitc architecture seems to outweigh considerations of real defence. Hopefully, though, there'll be a few exceptions. . . .

I haven't seen anything about it being the end of Geralt's story. That being said, I haven't really looked and I tried to stay away from the forums.

But they did actually tell it is the last part of Geralt's story. April last year even, they explain how they may continue the saga, but with a completely new character:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-the-witcher-3-is-the-end-of-geralt-s-story/1100-6426985/

"“I think good stories must have an ending," he said. "You cannot extend them indefinitely, and we felt that Geralt has had such an amazing adventure, and his saga is already so long and complex that this seemed like a good point to think about an appropriate finale for the story.""
"“The Witcher universe is a very big place with a lot of NPCs, a lot of characters, a lot of places we haven't shown yet," Szamałek explained. “So, we might return to it at some point…but we think that this is a good place to let Geralt enjoy his retirement and try something new.""

Personally, I even think if we could be seeing a completely CC for a The Witcher 4.

---------- Updated at 07:07 PM ----------

Well, I just love castles. The more we can see on the future, the better!
And better than that, are castles with a lot of big, dangerous dungeons. Would love to see a lot of that.

Top Bottom