Bloomberg Report, 2018 Demo was almost entirely fake.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how long this thread will take to get nuked by the mods.
Eyes.PNG

If users give us no reason to act the thread will live.

I would really love to hear what is happing in CDPR right now, how looks the real progress with patching and what is on the table with those free dlc - will they introduce new content like character creations, style, AI. I know that plot won’t move till the expansions.
but this article like many similars is just saying what everyone knows from looking/playing the game.
like no shit Sherlock that game that has tons of bigger/smaller bugs and is missing some of the promised content had a rocky development process.
This article for me is on the verge of clickbait.

did you miss the huge ass banner thats visible thouout the entire video?

"WORK IN PROGRESS - DOES NOT REPRESENT THE FINAL LOOK OF THE GAME"

cutting features is completely normal in games and software development in general
That banner is a great excuse to put out a tetris clone instead of what was shown in promos. That banner was hanging in almost all promo videos of the game. Cutting features is normal as long as you don't promote your game with these features. Every game has cut content. But it's not right to advertise your game with stuff that you aren't sure will be in the final release. Especially if you're a company that prides itself on transparent and fair relationship with customers/gamers. It just smells like clever deception. It's like in case of letter of the law vs. spirit of the law. You're honest that some element is in the game, like a couple of braindance sequences, but you try to sell it as a major and important feature. Technically it's in the game, but you still feel cheated.

"Based on the team’s progress, they expected the game to be ready in 2022" oh boy...

And this...
"Studio head Adam Badowski took over as director, demanding overhauls to Cyberpunk’s gameplay and story. For the next year, everything was changing, including fundamental elements like the game-play perspective. Top staff who had worked on The Witcher 3 had strong opinions on how Cyberpunk should be made, which clashed with Badowski and lead to the eventual departure of several top developers."

I wish someone could interview these developers and hear their envisioned CP version.

"Based on the team’s progress, they expected the game to be ready in 2022" oh boy...

And this...
"Studio head Adam Badowski took over as director, demanding overhauls to Cyberpunk’s gameplay and story. For the next year, everything was changing, including fundamental elements like the game-play perspective. Top staff who had worked on The Witcher 3 had strong opinions on how Cyberpunk should be made, which clashed with Badowski and lead to the eventual departure of several top developers."

I wish someone could interview these developers and hear their envisioned CP version.

Some of them probably ended up at Starward Industries.

Well, this makes sense.. and I never liked Schreier. But even if I'm taking this with a grain of salt, I hope higher-ups use this "expose" or whatever you wanna call it to learn and be better. Cause arrogance and over-ambition in literally anything can really cloud the mind. Trying to over-achieve that high-bar from their previous success is the same thing and it caused the opposite effect.

Last edited:
Well, this makes sense.. and I never like Schreier. But even if I'm taking this with a grain of salt, I hope higher-ups use it to learn and be better. Cause arrogance and over-ambition in literally anything can really cloud the mind. Trying to over-achieve that high-bar from their previous success is the same thing and it caused the opposite effect.
This kind of info we read in the article is meaningful only to the directors/board. This is mostly done in “audit form” after the project is finished to find out what was done good, bad, what could be done better in order to improve production of next projects.
for customers those informations are rather meaningless and serves more like the infotainment.
we know the state of the game, and it’s ludicrous to assume that this state is due to fact that every works rather as planed and there was no bigger problems with developmen.

There are also other interesting lines in the article.

you working for Bloomberg, posting paid content? Bloomberg is a corporate focused new organization, they are prone to take the viewpoint of the board of directors. Who I honestly don't believe didnt know that things weren't great on ps4. Even in their own words, they were told its working surprisingly well on ps4(which means its working better than expected, and expected is low) and they knew they hoped to be able to iron out remaining bugs in a release day patch(which is a last second gamble) They also knew the game was delayed significantly. I fully believe the board was pushing for more productivity, and wanted that pre christmas release at all costs. Now they essentially want to use that to blame the creators of the company and take more control and money, when in reality, the game is still a financial success.

[...]
Post automatically merged:

The "demo" was a vertical slice. It is common across the industry, and is what happens at E3 all the time. The problem is that those "reporting" on E3 articles rarely know wtf they are actually talking about and then these vertical slices are then called "demo" or "alpha's".
but the vertical slice was not the 2018 demo, that was like 2013. The 2018 demo is basically straight from the game, and shows the first chapter of the game.

So really the Bloomberg article is bull and bad journalism. But to be honest thats most news these days, they pump out these stories like an elementary students book reports the day before turning it in.

Last edited:
Honestly... it's imo a blown out of proportions "They changed direction in 2016, and failed in their deathline estimations on the new scope, with letting Marketing dictate the actual release.".
Writing about unfinished vertical slices (industry standards), people feeling they need to to overtime (while company policy isn't enforcing it), rambling about the same development time as the Witcher 3 for a bigger porject (while also pointing out a bigger team later on) - is imo all basically just inflating the article, trying to imply how many bad decisions were made - without actually having real specifics.

So... yeah CDPRs management failed there.
Kudos to the devs for being not content with a underdeveloped product they were forced to deliver, hope you guys still find enough praise on your personal work in posts from fans recognizing that CP2077 still ended up quite good and just needed a bit more time.

That banner is a great excuse to put out a tetris clone instead of what was shown in promos. That banner was hanging in almost all promo videos of the game. Cutting features is normal as long as you don't promote your game with these features. Every game has cut content. But it's not right to advertise your game with stuff that you aren't sure will be in the final release. Especially if you're a company that prides itself on transparent and fair relationship with customers/gamers. It just smells like clever deception. It's like in case of letter of the law vs. spirit of the law. You're honest that some element is in the game, like a couple of braindance sequences, but you try to sell it as a major and important feature. Technically it's in the game, but you still feel cheated.

Nah, I still think all the stuff will be in the game, it just didn't make it into the release version as long as they don't go against game idea in general. I wouldn't want to wait longer myself for the release.

Where is the point when it becomes too much?

You can't hide behind the "work in progress" forever and it does not give you the freedom to change everything. At some point, it becomes false advertising, because that's what the demo was. An advertisement for their new product.

You can't show a juicy entire cote and then deliver like warm chicken breast.
the 2018 demo is almost exactly ingame footage, its also 2 years before the game came out, you should expect changes

this the 2018 demo, its basically the same game with a different Ui, less graphics. Only one major change, looks like you were supposed to get randomly attacked by enemies at some point. And some combat changes, wall running with mantis blades scrapped. This video is virtually the same product, surprising there aren't more changes actually

you working for Bloomberg, posting paid content? Bloomberg is a corporate focused new organization, they are prone to take the viewpoint of the board of directors. Who I honestly don't believe didnt know that things weren't great on ps4. Even in their own words, they were told its working surprisingly well on ps4(which means its working better than expected, and expected is low) and they knew they hoped to be able to iron out remaining bugs in a release day patch(which is a last second gamble) They also knew the game was delayed significantly. I fully believe the board was pushing for more productivity, and wanted that pre christmas release at all costs. Now they essentially want to use that to blame the creators of the company and take more control and money, when in reality, the game is still a financial success.

[...]
Post automatically merged:

but the vertical slice was not the 2018 demo, that was like 2013. The 2018 demo is basically straight from the game, and shows the first chapter of the game.

So really the Bloomberg article is bull and bad journalism. But to be honest thats most news these days, they pump out these stories like an elementary students book reports the day before turning it in.
Gaming journalism was born at time of end of journalism. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Still waiting for a serious website that give serious neutral reviews.

Honestly... it's imo a blown out of proportions "They changed direction in 2016, and failed in their deathline estimations on the new scope, with letting Marketing dictate the actual release.".
Writing about unfinished vertical slices (industry standards), people feeling they need to to overtime (while company policy isn't enforcing it), rambling about the same development time as the Witcher 3 for a bigger porject (while also pointing out a bigger team later on) - is imo all basically just inflating the article, trying to imply how many bad decisions were made - without actually having real specifics.

So... yeah CDPRs management failed there.
Kudos to the devs for being not content with a underdeveloped product they were forced to deliver, hope you guys still find enough praise on your personal work in posts from fans recognizing that CP2077 still ended up quite good and just needed a bit more time.
Maybe people should stop defending ill practices, regardless of how "industry standard" they are?

The moment they opened up the preorders so early, (june 2019) they were trapped.

You cannot take people's money and deliver them what they paid for in 2-3 years time.
More delay's were out of the question.

It was a dumb decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom