Blue Eyes (The quest)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Eyes (The quest)

I just finished this quest again (I sided with the vampires) but I wasn't quite certain about my choice.

What made me protect the vampires was the mention of Regis the vampire and his friendship with Geralt. What did you lot choose? :)

I understand not believing it necessary to kill the higher vampire because they are not inherently dangerous, however, this wasn't just one higher vampire trying to get by. This vampire, unlike Regis, still drinks the blood of her clients, which, as she admits, acts as an intoxicant. Blood for vampires is just as disinhibiting as alcohol is for humans and can even cause such reckless behaviour as flying drunk. If this higher vampire and the higher vampires she makes out of the prostitutes are unwilling to refrain from drinking blood they are still potentially dangerous to the society into which they are attempting to integrate. Furthermore, Vereena, the bruxa from "A Grain of Truth," proves to be a danger to Nivellen despite her nature as a higher vampire and how she is not apparently intoxicated. Ultimately, I can't bring myself to trust an entire coven of potentially intoxicated higher vampires not to be a danger to society, so I killed them.

Sure, Patrick's a bit of a bastard, but he doesn't get what he wants. Besides, the familial dispute between the blue eyed lass and Patrick isn't really my problem.

I've played it both ways, but I usually side with the vampires. They aren't killing any sentient creatures, but in wanting to kill them, Blue Eyes' brother DOES want to kill sentient creatures. To my mind, that makes him the monster.

I love the theme that runs all through TW1, where Geralt is asked again and again to decide what constitutes a monster. Human DNA is no proof against monsterhood, and inhuman DNA is no proof of monsterhood.

As long as they're not causing harm to anyone, I'm all for live and let live.

Sapkowski's books featuring Regis hadn't been translated into English the last time I played TW1. But now that I've met Regis, I couldn't bear to kill anyone he'd loved; he's one of my favorite characters in the novels.

I find the usage of terms like "monster" and "evil" to have no place in describing anything in the witcher games.

Forum veteran
CostinMoroianu said:
I find the usage of terms like "monster" and "evil" to have no place in describing anything in the witcher games.
A sword for humans and a sword for... uh... other stuff.

:)

CostinMoroianu said:
There's a thread that runs through the entire game in TW1, where Geralt is asked again and again to decide if someone is a monster. Given that Geralt is a professional monster slayer, it's a determination he needs to be able to make. It's also part of what makes the game interesting.

You want to play a game about a professional monster slayer WITHOUT using the word "monster"? :rolleyes:

*mind boggles*

CostinMoroianu said:

But Geralt himself does so often enough, repeatedly commenting on the fact that the "monsters" aren't necessarily the ones with the fangs or claws.

As far as neutrality is concerned, I see it that he's not 100% convinced about higher vampires from Dandelion's conversation, so he goes in expecting to kill a vampire-monster. After his conversation with the Queen of the Night, he intends to walk away, as she isn't a monster, but Patrick then forces the issue.

227 said:
A sword for humans and a sword for... uh... other stuff.

:)

You're such a troll : P.
I sided with the vampires as well, it seemed to me what Geralt would do (therefore the 'right' choice in the universe, even though CDProjekt always says there are no right or wrong choices in their games... I feel there sometimes are), considering the girl was happy.

I saved them as they weren't doing any harm, on the other hand, the human dude was a monster so he needed to die.

Because I don't really like the Order (most of them are more monster than these vampires are) and higher vampires are generally not dangerous, I sided with them.

Patrick was a douche and the vamps weren't doing anything wrong. I do wish I didn't have to sleep with them while doing so.

Patrick deserved to die for what he was going to put his sister through, basically selling her as a whore to some lecherous old man for his own motivations.

At least with the vampires she had choice.

Didn't kill them. Figured the vampire brothel was consensual.

I suppose it was lucky that Geralt found them and not Buffy... I recall she had some issues with blood-sucking houses of ill repute...

Everything about the vampire house seemed voluntary, and they weren't killing anyone, so I let them live. Patrick on the other hand was a self-interested murderer and if he's stupid enough to attack me then I can kill him without regret :p

Is this in the Witcher 1? I'm so embarrassed to say that I never did this quest along with many others. I should revisit the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom