Blurry Tattoos and Posters After 1.04 Patch

+
Even with high settings I've noticed after updating to the 1.04 ver of the game posters, tattoos, and labels on things like vending machines and stickers have all become extremely low res and pixelated. Sometimes to the point of just being a smudge. I've tried several combinations of settings on my PC and it hasnt changed anything.

Has anyone else come across something like this? Skin textures and that of geometric models in the game seems good but its the 2D stuff thats now low resolution no matter the settings. I also didnt notice a specific setting for texture resolution, unless thats the LOD option?

This is my game with the High graphics preset.
TextureResolution2.png

The buttons on the vending machine you can interact with to buy something do show clear when up close but everything else you see is this low res smudge.

Same here on ryzen 5 3600 and 3070
Im on a Ryzen 9 39000x and a GTX 970. I know I have an odd combo, but the card seems capable of handling a lot of other details in the game. Some of the textures seem stuck at a low res preset though. I'd like to know if anyone with intel hardware is experiencing this issue.

Same. Low res 2d textures since launch, on any setting. Tattoos were meh before, now look like ps1 textures. I really hope they can get the textures sorted and include barbers/tattoo parlors and maybe open the character editor at ripperdocs to recustomize V. i7 4700k & Gtx1070.

Receptionist at Clouds on Ultra settings:

Screenshot 2020-12-13 174839.png

Low settings:
Screenshot 2020-12-13 184859.png

and just because I can't start a new topic, there's a visual gap on the elevator door in Clouds:
Screenshot 2020-12-13 190407.png

Last edited:
Does it make any difference what texture resolution setting you are using in the in-game settings?

Haven't experienced this issue on my end, but I'm also not using the highest resolution settings.
Still, something that needs to be fixed, but if it only happens in some settings, this might be useful info for developers who are looking into why this happens.

Hasn't happened here so far, and I've already spent some significant time in the game after the patch.

I've been playing at medium when I noticed issues. Just tested and I can't see any differences between the presets, wondering if they're applying at all? They save in settings, but I'm gonna try some reloads. Update: updated last post with low settings as well, after a reload.

Last edited:
Same. Low res 2d textures since launch, on any setting. Tattoos were meh before, now look like ps1 textures. I really hope they can get the textures sorted and include barbers/tattoo parlors and maybe open the character editor at ripperdocs to recustomize V. i7 4700k & Gtx1070.

Receptionist at Clouds on Ultra settings:
Thats the first person I noticed the tattoo issue on too. Though I'll say the tattoos on Johnny Silverhand the next time he showed up after that portion of the game looked infinitely better than hers, they were still what could be called low res.

I also dont notice a difference between your presets. Are you sure they're from different settings? Did you shut the game down after adjusting settings and before taking the 2nd screen shot?

Does it make any difference what texture resolution setting you are using in the in-game settings?
What setting would be for the texture resolution? Maybe I missed it but I havent seen anything explicitly labeled as the setting for the textures. I've only seen the Level of Detail option and for me its set to "High" in my initial screen shot.

I submitted a report with my screen shot earlier today. I'm sure the tech support is getting swamped right now but hopefully i'll hear something soon.

Even with high settings I've noticed after updating to the 1.04 ver of the game posters, tattoos, and labels on things like vending machines and stickers have all become extremely low res and pixelated. Sometimes to the point of just being a smudge. I've tried several combinations of settings on my PC and it hasnt changed anything.

Has anyone else come across something like this? Skin textures and that of geometric models in the game seems good but its the 2D stuff thats now low resolution no matter the settings. I also didnt notice a specific setting for texture resolution, unless thats the LOD option?

This is my game with the High graphics preset.View attachment 11080325

The buttons on the vending machine you can interact with to buy something do show clear when up close but everything else you see is this low res smudge.
Have seen that as well, not sure about tattoos, but blurry posters and billboards for sure.

i encountered this too, after applying patch 1.04. I noticed that every details became blurry. but I found out that the TEXTURE RESOLUTION option is been reset after the patch. I did spend alot of time looking for that option on the menu to only find out that texture quality is not showing in the graphics menu while you are already inside the game. So to be able to change it, you just need to logout first to the main screen menu and hit the options settings again, and there it is under the graphics option menu! the TEXTURE quality option. It was set to LOW! after hitting it to HIGH and reload my savefile. everything went sharp again.

wow they are lowering the graphics so last gen can run better and gave pc the same settings lmao

This is my game with the High graphics preset.View attachment 11080325

This is a very close representation of how the game looks on Xbox One at the moment. Some textures are crisp, others like the decals and front of the machine are very low quality.

wow they are lowering the graphics so last gen can run better and gave pc the same settings lmao
I'm starting to think that's possibility and it wouldn't be the first time a game has been artificially held back to work on the out dated hardware in a console.

However I found the solution to the problem, though its still not a very impressive result.

I feel dumb, but you actually can, and in my case with the blurry textures need to change the texture resolution in the graphics settings tab independently from the presets. The catch is that you can only change the texture resolution in the main menu settings. My game defaulted to "low" so that's why despite changing the presets the texture quality never changed and the vending machines, and tattoos remained low resolution. The option is unavailable to change while in game.

On top of that the presets, low, medium, high and custom all ignore the texture quality and don't change it. SO this means you can have Texture Quality set to Low while using a High preset. You have to set the Texture Quality separately from what the presets change. Kinda odd.

This is that same vending machine with Texture Quality set to High.

HighRes_Textures.jpg

So even with High Texture Quality (the highest option available) the results aren't amazing. The stickers have definitely become more readable, and there's more detail on the concrete wall and even the vending machine buttons. While the face of the vending machine has become more readable the pictures of the cans and text are still pretty fuzzy if not unreadable.
Now its either CDPR has to release an update with even higher res textures available or we have to wait for someone to mod a high res texture pack.

This game seems to be the result of biting off more than they can chew while also having to make a game in 2020 that fits on hardware from 2013 and work on the final year of the game (probably the most crucial time of development) during a global pandemic.

I haven't played the game in about 4 days now because i'm just patiently waiting on fixes.

Top Bottom