Blurry textures after patch 1.5

+
Hey there,

as I don't seem to find any solution on the internet. Some textures are blurry since yesterday's patch. Changing the texture quality in the settings doesn't affect the quality of those textures at all. The whole scene looks so horrble now cause everything is so unsharp. I guess it's because of the new VRS because I also got a massive FPS increase since the patch (which is nice), but I rather would like to have good visuals again.

This is with low res textures:

20220216154100_1.jpg

This is with high res textures:

20220216154008_1.jpg

You see that the texture of the character's pants got massively better in the bottom pic, but the ground stays the same. This bug affects all environment textures like roads, houses, pavement, fences etc.
It really looks bad.

Here is another screenshot with all graphics settings set to high:

20220215215949_1.jpg

How to solve that?

Finally i found it, i have the same exact problem after patch 1.5, all textures looks like low res compared to patch 1.31, looking on youtube about comparisons with pc and ps5, i noticed that on my system (everything maxed out) i have the same exact texture quality from PS5.
i have tried everything to fix this problem, changing texture quality doesn't improve or decrease the quality.

It's really annoying. At least I'm not the only one. I tried setting Dynamic Textures via ini-file to true, but it doesn't work. I reinstalled the whole game, nothing. I'm now downloading it from GoG instead of Steam, as I have it on both platforms. Will post if the GoG installation has the same issue or not.

1645104654824.png

^ I would report this to CDPR Support:

Please, read the appropriate FAQ section to the end, ensuring all suggestions have been followed. If the problems persist, you can use the "Contact Us" link to send in a ticket.

Be sure to include your system (including specs if on PC), a brief description of the issue, and the steps taken to reproduce it (if applicable).

To me, it looks like a low-res image (one meant for smaller signs, adverts, buttons on vending machines, etc.) has been stretched to fit a much larger asset. There probably is a higher-res image that was intended for those big signs, but the wrong one was attached. If not, it may be possible to just remove that low-res image from the cycle. Just a guess, though.

You see that the texture of the character's pants got massively better in the bottom pic, but the ground stays the same. This bug affects all environment textures like roads, houses, pavement, fences etc.
It really looks bad.
This, I don't think is a bug or a mistake. Not all textures in a game will have high-res / low-res versions. Often there's no need, like textures for grass or something: the performance hit would be significant, but the grass would wind up looking exactly the same.

These are the choices devs make when trying to decide how best to optimize visual quality with sustainable performance at certain hardware levels. Personally, I would argue that there's almost no reason to increase the resolution of the ground textures. The visual impact would be negligible in exchange for the performance that would likely be lost.

Last edited:
This, I don't think is a bug or a mistake. Not all textures in a game will have high-res / low-res versions. Often there's no need, like textures for grass or something: the performance hit would be significant, but the grass would wind up looking exactly the same.

These are the choices devs make when trying to decide how best to optimize visual quality with sustainable performance at certain hardware levels. Personally, I would argue that there's almost no reason to increase the resolution of the ground textures. The visual impact would be negligible in exchange for the performance that would likely be lost.

I agree with you, but road and ground textures and especially all environment textures were much more crisp and sharper before. Also it seems that the LOD textures are much lower in resolution now. Also I got massive flickering in the distance as if AA is going nuts.
I assume that it has something to do with the implemented VRS. It seems that it decreases the quality of many areas in the scene to achieve much higher FPS. My FPS inscreased significantly with patch 1.5 but it seems that this is the case because VRS decreases the quality of many areas in the rendered picture.

The GoG installation has the same issue.
Post automatically merged:

Also tried the latest graphics driver, still doesn't work.

My system specs are:

i5 9600k
RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB RAM

Game is installed on a Samsung QVO 860 1TB.

Display driver is 511.79.

Last edited:
I agree with you, but road and ground textures and especially all environment textures were much more crisp and sharper before. Also it seems that the LOD textures are much lower in resolution now. Also I got massive flickering in the distance as if AA is going nuts.
I assume that it has something to do with the implemented VRS. It seems that it decreases the quality of many areas in the scene to achieve much higher FPS. My FPS inscreased significantly with patch 1.5 but it seems that this is the case because VRS decreases the quality of many areas in the rendered picture.

The GoG installation has the same issue.
Possible, but there was a point in the patches when the reflection shaders on roads were re-worked and arguably looked far less detailed as a result. It could be that the original design was simply restored, now that the engine optimizations had reached a point where the older approach would run without issues. That might be what you're seeing.

Aside from that, it could be that increased texture resolution for certain ground assets were never intended. Remember that optimization does not mean "maxing everything and still having it run smoothly"; it means "giving and taking in various areas in order to get a more attractive balance between fidelity and performance". There's always going to be a difference between graphics optimized to run on Minimum/Recommended Specs...and having the hardware necessary to run the game with modded 8K textures at 120 FPS and true 4K resolutions with everything set to Ultra. The game will always be optimized for the specs listed at launch. Future expansions may see higher requirements or offer more graphical options to take advantage of more recent hardware.

Alternatively...

If you think it really is some sort of display issue, you may want to try upgrading/rolling back drivers to test. Perhaps it's a filtering issue with a certain driver set or something. To me, it looks perfectly normal, though.

my actual situation with the game ALL maxed out (even psyco RT/SSR) except DOF that is off to avoid even worst/blurred textures. Near Kerry Eurodyne mansion. Tell me if seems normal to you because I don't know what to do / say anymore, it's frustrating to play like this, it looks like GTA 3 not CP2077 in all is maxed glory!

photomode_17022022_192500.jpg

If you think it really is some sort of display issue, you may want to try upgrading/rolling back drivers to test. Perhaps it's a filtering issue with a certain driver set or something. To me, it looks perfectly normal, though.

I already did. I started with 511.23 and had this issue. Then I upgraded to 511.79 today, but without any change.

my actual situation with the game ALL maxed out (even psyco RT/SSR) except DOF that is off to avoid even worst/blurred textures. Near Kerry Eurodyne mansion. Tell me if seems normal to you because I don't know what to do / say anymore, it's frustrating to play like this, it looks like GTA 3 not CP2077 in all is maxed glory!

This is also what I'm experiencing. Everything set to ultra (except RT off) and it just looks so bad like in your screen. It kills the whole immersion the game had.

Other examples:

20220215220836_1.jpg

20220216211128_1.jpg

20220217143808_1.jpg

I mean, wtf is this lighting and those blurred textures especially in the background. The LODs look so bad and they're partially flickering.

Screen Space Reflections set to ultra. This can't be right:

20220217212600_1.jpg

This is SSR on low:

20220217213120_1.jpg

Last edited:
Jez, I see....seriously, give me back the 1.03! what the heck they've done?! the game run worst and look worst :mad:

I would play 1.31 on GoG but then I can't use my savegame anymore cause you can't downgrade the savegame to an older version. And of course I don't have any quicksave or so from 1.31 :rolleyes:

That does look normal. What you're seeing are the lower-poly LOD models and lower-res LOD textures used for distant objects. You'll see the same sort of thing in all open-world games once you know what to look for. These models don't have the same number of polygons to handle things like lighting transport to their surfaces, so certain dynamic lighting conditions may highlight this. The more accurate the lighting tries to be, the more starkly out-of-place something may look if the light "hits it" just right. The palm trees in the center are the perfect example of this. There aren't enough polys in that LOD model to more accurately create a light gradient on the fronds, so they appear flatly lit. Get closer to the trees, and the game will eventually replace them with the higher-poly, higher texture resolution model, and vioala, the lighting now looks much better. That's exactly the same for all distant LOD. And different engines will produce different results, of course.

For REDengine, be sure that your GPU (not in-game) settings are set for "Maximum Quality". Things like mip-mapping or texture optimizations will add to the effect of "blurry" distance rendering. You should also be able to increase you anisotropic filtering in the GPU settings to 16x for sharper textures with little-to-no performance hit. Inside the game, try to up the overall lighting quality as far as you can without major FPS loss.

But you can't do away with it completely. That's what LOD is and how it works.

I already did. I started with 511.23 and had this issue. Then I upgraded to 511.79 today, but without any change.

This is also what I'm experiencing. Everything set to ultra (except RT off) and it just looks so bad like in your screen. It kills the whole immersion the game had.

Other examples:

View attachment 11282923

View attachment 11282926

View attachment 11282929

I mean, wtf is this lighting and those blurred textures especially in the background. The LODs look so bad and they're partially flickering.

View attachment 11282941

This is SSR on low:

View attachment 11282944
Hm. Some of this is just starting to look incorrect. That's a lot of pixelated signs, and the water texture doesn't look like it's drawing in properly.

Are you using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

Last edited:

Other examples:

View attachment 11282923

View attachment 11282926

View attachment 11282929

View attachment 11282941

This is SSR on low:

View attachment 11282944
The second picture looks like an example i saw of what can go wrong with lighting if you start tweaking certain values in the game's configuration files (i can't remember if they were DLSS values or not). Is that possible? Did the excessive light fade over time or did it remain that way? If the former it may be the game's exposure system being slow.

Other examples:

View attachment 11282923

View attachment 11282926

View attachment 11282929

View attachment 11282941

This is SSR on low:

View attachment 11282944
SSR has very little uplift from low too ultra tbh(exept FPS that is). RT reflections is so much better. If you cant have that theres very little point in having it above medium.

The billboards are strange tho, think ive run into one or two with blurry textures. Gonna have too test a bit tho since some are behind glas and looks blurry anyways.

Last edited:
Are you using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

The second picture looks like an example i saw of what can go wrong with lighting if you start tweaking certain values in the game's configuration files (i can't remember if they were DLSS values or not). Is that possible?

I did use a mod which tweaked the face lighting, but I already installed the game via GoG instead of my original installation on Steam, so different path and completely new installation, but it looked the same way.
The ini file of the mod was in the installation path on Steam, so not in the user settings or something, so no way it could have been influencing the GoG installation.

Did the excessive light fade over time or did it remain that way?

It did fade within a few seconds. It happens when loading the game or waiting for another daytime. Then it's first super bright and then it turns back to normal. Really odd.

I did use a mod which tweaked the face lighting, but I already installed the game via GoG instead of my original installation on Steam, so different path and completely new installation, but it looked the same way.
The ini file of the mod was in the installation path on Steam, so not in the user settings or something, so no way it could have been influencing the GoG installation.

It did fade within a few seconds. It happens when loading the game or waiting for another daytime. Then it's first super bright and then it turns back to normal. Really odd.
I'd thought that was a raytracing only thing but yes on occasion I will see the brightness resolving to a proper exposure thing when coming out of a menu etc.

I'd thought that was a raytracing only thing but yes on occasion I will see the brightness resolving to a proper exposure thing when coming out of a menu etc.
Same here. takes 1-2 seconds for me pretty much. was thinking it had ewith HDR too do but i think the game used too do that in a previous patch.

Hm.. I deleted my usersettings.json and let the game create a new one. Don't know if it's placebo or it really looks better now. Will try it further and give some feedback.

20220218215212_1.jpg

20220218215221_1.jpg

This is how it looks now after deleting the usersettings.json. In my opinion it looks much better.

Apart from that: you can fix the blurry billboards by creating an ini file in the directory "...\Cyberpunk 2077\engine\platform\pc", with whatever name you like, and fill in the following lines:

[Rendering/AsyncCompute]
DynamicTexture = true

Last edited:
Hm.. I deleted my usersettings.json and let the game create a new one. Don't know if it's placebo or it really looks better now. Will try it further and give some feedback.

View attachment 11283583

View attachment 11283586

This is how it looks now after deleting the usersettings.json. In my opinion it looks much better.
Seems some settings get saved in user config files. Also might be influenced by some mods i guess (im no expert)

Seems some settings get saved in user config files. Also might be influenced by some mods i guess (im no expert)
This would also be the reason why the GoG installation didn't help because both installations are using the same usersettings.json.

Top Bottom