Bodily troubles

+
Emotional pain could translate into stress. MGS4 had a stress meter that was affected by gameplay & actual cutscenes.

Emotional pain could translate into stress. MGS4 had a stress meter that was affected by gameplay & actual cutscenes.

I'm not sure how well would that translate into a Cyberpunk game though.. First, you already have your humanity to deal with.. (Since cybernetic implants take away from your humanity) Also, if we have a meter for everything in the game, it could get boring real fast..

Can you by the way switch chrome back to meat in same some cases (thinking of organ transplants)? And would you gain the lost humanity?

I was going for funny... But "incontinence"? Flash, you crazy.. :D

Hardmode sounds good. But i would much rather if we had a full on full realism mode.

I wish FULL realism was possible (now...), but I would love it if it was as realistic as possible, or at least a realism mode.

Going back to the OP, how to reflect stress/fatigue and even emotional troubles, I refer you to Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth. This game, set back in the 1920/30's like you'd expect didn't have a hud (yeah, this kinda crosses a couple topics here, lets just focus on the effects for this topic), not even a crosshair or anything.

As you'd expect, it's a horror based game, and a completely first person game. And full of rpgness and storytelling. When you got hurt, your indications was blood that went across your monitor, your POV. In essence, across your face & eyes. More more you got hurt, the more blood you saw.

For scenes where you get emotionally stressed, seeing a mangles corpse or a creature of the Cthulhu Mythos, you would hear your breathing start to pant, becoming quicker. You'd also start to hear your herat beat (like in your ears, that pounding you might hear when you've pushed yourself hard), and it would also get louder and more rapid the more 'sanity causing' things you see. When things really start to effect your sanity (humanity?) your screen would start to quiver ans shake, making it hard to move the character how you want them too.

Also, the more blood loss you have, and the more sanity shaking things happen, your 'vision' would start to grey out, becoming really washed out.

It's all hard to describe, but it worked oh so damn well. Too well. It's one of those games I've never finished. But...not because I kept failing...but because it's so intense.

The last scene I got to, you're asleep in a hotel, have a vision that some people are coming to kill you, and well, you wake up with people trying to get in your door to kill you.

Oh, you have no weapons.

None. Apparently much later in the game you get a weapon or two, but it's not for quite some time.

So you have to run. Through a series of interconnected hotel rooms, locking doors behind you, sometimes having to push furniture in the way. Eventually you're trapped, nothing for it to climb out the window onto a small balcony and jump to the next building and inside. Then you have to go back in the same direction, along a long hallway that faced the hotel. And the people who were trying to get into your room start opening up with shotguns. You get to a staircase and start down, but more people are coming up to get you, so you go upstairs. Which is where I usually die.

This sequence can't be more than 10, maybe 15 minutes long. But it's that intense, that I have to quite the game and go do something else more soothing. Like go outside and watch the bats fly over my house on a full moon. lol

They could implement something like that in 2077 I'm sure. Or sync it up so that you get injured, you get the breathing & pulse rate rising audibly. If youv'e had some cyber installed and your Humanity is dropping like a stone, you get into combat and maybe your vision starts to grey out, washing out the red blood into pools of grey.

Some of these effects could be some side effects of some of the drugs. Maybe a combat drug that heightens your reflexes makes you loose your colour vision.

I'm not sure how well would that translate into a Cyberpunk game though.. First, you already have your humanity to deal with.. (Since cybernetic implants take away from your humanity) Also, if we have a meter for everything in the game, it could get boring real fast..

your right

Top Bottom