Books and sequel

+
Books and sequel

I am 3/4 Polish and 1/4 French and I have never really explored my roots at all. I have found this particular game to be exceptionally well written and well done, and I am guessing the books are done as well. I am tempted to start reading the books now that I have fallen in love with this great game. However, I don't want to read the books unless there will be new ones written because then that will just be like going back in time and I don't want to travel back in time to read about the history unless the story still has a future. Will the author be writing any new Witcher books in the future? Also, is there any hope for a sequel to this game? I believe this game should be nominated for RPG of the year without question.

i really do not understand your attitude. ??? :eek:
Jdawgshadow said:
I don't want to read the books unless there will be new ones written because then that will just be like going back in time and I don't want to travel back in time to read about the history unless the story still has a future
:eek: :eek: :eek:???? daaaaaBooks are timeless and it is always worth to "learn" of them and from them. it is also never too late for tthis experience. Every story has it's begininig and it's end, and the story of the witcher endend with the ending of the fifth tome of the saga (for me at least). this game shouldn't be threated as the continuation of books literally or nor should be sequels as long as Sapkowski will agree to write the story for the game. for me the game it is just an opporunity to get in witcher should for a while. oh and most important dude. if you want to get familliar with your Polish roots don't do this through fantasy books, they are just fantasy. learn some history maybe. and if you want to rready some historical fiction start from "Krzyżacy" ("The Hospitalers" i'm not sure if this is realy english title) by Henryk Sienkiewicz. :D :D 8)

Lechuza said:
oh and most important dude. if you want to get familliar with your Polish roots don't do this through fantasy books, they are just fantasy. learn some history maybe. and if you want to rready some historical fiction start from "Krzyżacy" ("The Hospitalers" i'm not sure if this is realy english title) by Henryk Sienkiewicz. :D :D 8)
Man, you've chosen the one Sienkiewicz's novel that I actually enjoyed reading. I have no other option than to second that. For the record, "Krzyżacy" had been translated into English as "The Teutonic Knights" / "The Knights of the Cross" (two different translations) and into French as "Les Chevaliers Teutoniques". And if you want something even better to learn about Polish history and traditions, try "Pan Tadeusz" (translated into English as "Sir Thaddeus" and into French as "Messire Thadee") by Adam Mickiewicz, which is rightly held to be the greatest work of Polish literature.Unfortunately, there are very few books which aim at popularizing Polish history or habits (if you're in the mood, try "God's Playground" by Norman Davies, but it's a long one). What part of Poland do your ancestors hail from? Maybe you can find help on this very forum?Also, it's always worth "going back in time". I'm not a big fan of Sapkowski's work (although I did read all of his books), but I agree that they are solid literature and worth reading. The original story is hinted at in the game, but not to the extent that would make reading the books pointless.Oh, and there are no more stories about the witcher coming from Sapkowski. Currently, he's taken a "creative break" (and he should have, because his last novels - not the witcher ones, mind you - were disappointing).

ausir

Forum veteran
Jdawgshadow said:
I am 3/4 Polish and 1/4 French and I have never really explored my roots at all. I have found this particular game to be exceptionally well written and well done, and I am guessing the books are done as well. I am tempted to start reading the books now that I have fallen in love with this great game. However, I don't want to read the books unless there will be new ones written because then that will just be like going back in time and I don't want to travel back in time to read about the history unless the story still has a future. Will the author be writing any new Witcher books in the future?
I don't really see how reading a finished book series is "going back in time". The author has no plans for further witcher books for now, but he doesn't exclude it in the future.
Also, is there any hope for a sequel to this game? I believe this game should be nominated for RPG of the year without question.
Yes.

Hmm I have many book series that were written/finished before I was born, or even able to read - and yet I read them and never felt like traveling back in time...Also, fantasy settings are more or less timeless - sometimes they are mixed with science fiction, sometimes appear like our medieval times, sometimes unique. I enjoy all three versions of fantasy, and really don't care when they were written as long as they are written well and draw me into their world.

RykNiedwiedzia said:
Currently, he's taken a "creative break" (and he should have, because his last novels - not the witcher ones, mind you - were disappointing).
disapointing ???, i find them even better than the witcher

Well, de gustibus non disputandum est ;)Nevertheless, I hope AS will write something about Geralt in near future.

Lechuza said:
OK, I also don't like any Sienkiewicz's books aside from "Krzyżacy", so maybe I'm just 'special' :D Let's not dwell on it.And I would also prefer Sapkowski not to continue with anything about the witcher. Often, getting more of something you love can destroy it completely. The Saga had a beginning and an end, and should stay this way.

RykNiedwiedzia said:
RykNiedwiedzia said:
OK, I also don't like any Sienkiewicz's books aside from "Krzyżacy", so maybe I'm just 'special' :D Let's not dwell on it.And I would also prefer Sapkowski not to continue with anything about the witcher. Often, getting more of something you love can destroy it completely. The Saga had a beginning and an end, and should stay this way.
agreed :)

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! MAY CONTAIN GAME SPOILERSThe Witcher is without a doubt one of the best Single Player RPG's I've ever played [only SP-RPG I enjoyed as much was KOTOR] would I like to see a prequel/exspansion/sequel? F*$@ YEAH!!!!!! but not at the expense of story or game quality.A sequel [whether based on books or just the world and idea's itself] would be great and Geralt is a pimp and way cool and he's return to find that little brat Alvin would be very cool or to even be Alvin trained as a Witcher and looking for Geralt would be a cool story idea [though Alvin isnt exactly a fearsome name.... if some dude kicked the door in and said im Alvin im here to kill you i'd be laughin my a*se off].Only way a prequel/sequel could be poorly recieved would be if it was rushed to cash in, not much is needed to be added to the game in regards to graphics or gameplay a few gamplay tweaks and some new feats/spells/formula's would be expected. The only flaw I can think of was the occasional crashes I experienced though managing save games [deleting as I went seem to fix it] maybe some tweaking could be done in this area.The thing that kept me playing was the plot twists and storyline [and also to see which fine lady would end up the next notch on my belt lol] think Super Knight [end boss] could of been introduced in a sequel to have kept the gamer wanting more [ the end seemed a little rushed and thought Avar Jerrad or whatever he's name is was cool as the chief villan] I would like to express my thanks to The Witcher developers for making such a f*@$en awesome game and the person who wrote The Witcher for the cool world, monsters,locations and characters. I'll be looking forward to seeing or hearing more about a prequel/sequel and gonna go out and buy the books now.

Top Bottom