Boss battles

+

But seriously folks, while there might not be "boss battles", there will be confrontations that are climactic to key story points of the game. Whether or not these confrontations take the form of fights or only some times, is a question worth discussing. So is losing or running from said fight being part of the branching story line. Also I want to know how you would structure the game if there were no "boss battles" (notice the quotes people).

Well. Boss battles are very much a particular kind of story climax. Usually found in video games and super-hero movies. My favourite "boss battle" is in Equilibrium. There are two of them, really. The first the whole movie had been building up to and it's over very, very fast. The second was a surprise-ish and is also very fast and quite cool.

So if there muct be such things, make them follow the same rules as the rest of the game. No special immunities or super-hits or what-have-you.

Otherwise, story and game climaxes should be determined by the writing and play-flow. Each chapter would conclude based on the story points raised earlier, such as loss transmuted to healing, revenge vs redemption, hope destroyed, deception revealed or concealed.

You know, story. You an actualize this in-game through dialogue, cutscene, object/NPC interaction, ( opt to hack the file or not, opt to cut the villain's throat or not) even by letting the PC choose which corridor to walk down or which NPC to talk to.

Boss battles are an obnoxious outdated trope of video games. I hope to not see them in CP2077.

I like most of these ideas, but if it were to be done by cutscenes I would like to see it done a s interactive cutscenes, like Mass Effect 2 and 3 but with more options, not just white/black hat. As long as all the fights follow the same rules I will be happy.

Boss battle mechanics are so 2011 :p

In all seriousness, I would prefer unexpected, dynamic enemy encounters as opposed to scripted ones. I think all fights should have tension, and some threat of a loss greater than the character's life; these are the kinds of battles I would prefer in both TW3 and CP2077.

I like most of these ideas, but if it were to be done by cutscenes I would like to see it done a s interactive cutscenes, like Mass Effect 2 and 3 but with more options, not just white/black hat. As long as all the fights follow the same rules I will be happy.
Interactive cutscenes during a battle, now why does that sound familiar, haha.

Not that I think you were asking for cutscenes with QTEs, I just don't like the idea of any sort of cutscenes; why can't we just proceed through transitions in games without mini-movies which take you out of the game.

I think its possible to maintain storytelling in game without the use of cutscenes.

I've nothing against cutscenes, just QTE's.

I've just killed my third kayran in a week for someone. There always seems to be a surge after a Steam or Gog sale. Tentacles everywhere.

Top Bottom