+

sw333

Forum regular
Hi. I have 12900K stock

32 GB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600mhz

Palit Gamerock Pro OC rtx 4090

1300W Seasonic Platinum Prime

Aorus Elite DDR4 Z690

Windows 11 2H22. Updated new nvidia drivers.

I used 1440P,DLSS PERFORMANCE,RT ULTRA,rest ultra for testing fps.
So i am gettin low gpu usage ,lower than others ( due to youtube ) using dlss performance on 1440P,rt ultra. I made a screen comparison. Any ideas why that happens? I compared that with someone with rtx 4090 and 13900K ( shouldnt be that big differences ).

Link to clip:

My pc:

scene1:

116 fps , gpu load 75%:

scene2:

109 fps, gpu load 74% :

Hes pc and identical scenes:

scene1:

130 fps, 87% gpu load:

scene2:

128 fps, gpu load 86%:

Is my pc working normally or why i have lower usage ? I made a test on identical night time. Also no other programs in background.

PS:Changing from dlss performance to quality no changing in my pc fps,i dont know why. Only gpu usage.Some kind of bottleneck?

It's well known these gpus do not perform well at anything below 4k... Yet.
There is no CPU on the market able to handle the 4090 at resolutions sub 4k, so it will bottleneck your GPU. So either you use DSR playing at "5K" or you buy yourserlf a 4k monitor. ;)

Plus, you need to put all the details to the max and use dlss quality, so that the GPU will be used more. DLSS performance upscales from a res which is too much CPU dependent. It might also be that the other user uses faster RAM modules like DDR5, and the red engine likes faster RAMs a lot.

You might also try overclocking your RAMs...

DC9V

Forum veteran
Hi. I have 12900K stock

32 GB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600mhz

Palit Gamerock Pro OC rtx 4090

1300W Seasonic Platinum Prime

Aorus Elite DDR4 Z690

Windows 11 2H22. Updated new nvidia drivers.

I used 1440P,DLSS PERFORMANCE,RT ULTRA,rest ultra for testing fps.
So i am gettin low gpu usage ,lower than others ( due to youtube ) using dlss performance on 1440P,rt ultra. I made a screen comparison. Any ideas why that happens? I compared that with someone with rtx 4090 and 13900K ( shouldnt be that big differences ).

Link to clip:

My pc:

scene1:

116 fps , gpu load 75%:

scene2:

109 fps, gpu load 74% :

Hes pc and identical scenes:

scene1:

130 fps, 87% gpu load:

scene2:

128 fps, gpu load 86%:

Is my pc working normally or why i have lower usage ? I made a test on identical night time. Also no other programs in background.

PS:Changing from dlss performance to quality no changing in my pc fps,i dont know why. Only gpu usage.Some kind of bottleneck?

His 87% GPU usage also indicate a slight CPU bottle neck.

You could try the following, though:

Nvidia control panel, 3D settings:
  • Prefer maximum performance
  • Force 16x Anisotropic Filtering
in-game settings:
  • DLSS mode: Quality
  • Lighting: Psycho

He might also try disabling DLSS altogether. He would do lots of fps anyway at that res.

I guess DLSS3 will reduce CPU dependency.

sw333

Forum regular
I think your CPU works as intended. I don't own a 12900K, but 4880MHz seems adequate.
oooki thanks
Post automatically merged:

Last question. Here someone 12700K ,DDR5,Rtx 4090. Dlss quality,1440P,Rt ultra

115 fps. 92% usage.
Why i have here 90fps and 80% usage,on 12900K and DDR4 3600mhz on rtx 4090? Please dont tell me that is ddr4 bottleneck. Thaaaaaanks

Last edited:
Last question. Here someone 12700K ,DDR5,Rtx 4090. Dlss quality,1440P,Rt ultra

115 fps. 92% usage.

Why i have here 90fps and 80% usage,on 12900K and DDR4 3600mhz on rtx 4090? Please dont tell me that is ddr4 bottleneck. Thaaaaaanks
So you just cant compare like that. Could be pretty much anything that causes that, more npc more AI overall time of day. DDR4 could be part of the reason but it sounds weird. His cpu is probably overclocked tho, 5 ghz i think is standard so 200 mhz more. Hows your cpu usage? More threads isent always better when it comes too these issues if they dont get used. 71% cpu usage is pretty high on his. your around 50%, could be that he has disabled the E cores? only shows 16 threads for him.

Hes also having issues already at 1440p with quality DLSS.

sw333

Forum regular
So you just cant compare like that. Could be pretty much anything that causes that, more npc more AI overall time of day. DDR4 could be part of the reason but it sounds weird. His cpu is probably overclocked tho, 5 ghz i think is standard so 200 mhz more. Hows your cpu usage? More threads isent always better when it comes too these issues if they dont get used. 71% cpu usage is pretty high on his. your around 50%, could be that he has disabled the E cores? only shows 16 threads for him.

Hes also having issues already at 1440p with quality DLSS.
but he have ryzen no intel

but he have ryzen no intel
Yes, but hes running into issues before you do. Its impossible too tell how a system will react when your pushing like this. If the game uses 8 threads it doesnt matter if you have a 32 thread or a 16 thread what matters is clockspeed. Everything is relative. Theres bottlenecks everywhere if you push things far enough. Turn the res up too 4k (or turn off DLSS)and you will probably see 99% usage of your gpu since your CPU can give its info too the cpu fast enough at that resolution. Now your cpu cant give it fast enough so your gpu is waiting on the next thing too do thats why its not maxing out the usage. If its the cpu that is the bottleneck that is, it could be Pci-e thats running slow due to setting, it can be backgrund programs that steal some cpu time. Its impossible too diagnose just from videos. According too the usage you have a bottleneck somewere, if its ram or cpu or motherboard or the SSD or whatever i cant say.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/W3GU8Pq99LYcsUEy2S4VDU-970-80.png.webp for example.

Hows the usage in a easy game for example like CSGO? do a test at 1080p low settings too se how high usage you will get. Im not sure how well optimised CP2077 is for high FPS but pushing 110 fps is hard in most games that are not made for high framerates and low frametimes. DLSS adds some lag too that too btw. RT is a killer for that also. Since your upscaling it adds a bit of ms too frametimes and you need em as low a possible. Is there a 720 option on resolution? you can test too se if theres a differance. Also your using resizeble bar and pci-e 4.0 x16? Theres a ultra low latency in nvidia controll panel you could test too.

sw333

Forum regular
But if my 3dmark scores for gpu and cpu are fine so its ok? Also without dlss i have 95-100% in games. Only in Far Cry 6 60% usage on 1440P but this game is cpu limited for sure

no DLSS used and 1080p he gets 95% usage. Then 1440p and 4k. I dont think theres anything wrong with your pc, your cpu or something just cant keep up with a 4090. If your getting around normal scores and 95-99% usage without DLSS id say its fine. Why are you chasing the fps in balanced btw? I would never go below quality at 1440p. trying too hit 144hz or something?

sw333

Forum regular
Example with crowded area, dlss performance,on dlss quality identical fps:
my pc:
80 fps ,62% usage.

Is this normal? My fps is between 80-90fps when i am running around the peoples

I dont know someone here with 1440P,DLSS PERFORMANCE have 120 fps. How is this possible? He have 13900K and 4090

1:45

Last edited:
I dont know someone here with 1440P,DLSS PERFORMANCE have 120 fps. How is this possible? He have 13900K and 4090
13900k is better then a 12900k. every benchmark ive seen is better at lower resolutions (think its mainly clockspeed that does it) also his 4090 is running at over 3 ghz. its drawing 500+ watts. usage is closer too yours 80% but keep in mind his clockspeeds too. You could prossibly get a bit more fps if you overclocked the 12900k. need great cooling for that tho and some know how.

sw333

Forum regular
13900k is better then a 12900k. every benchmark ive seen is better at lower resolutions (think its mainly clockspeed that does it) also his 4090 is running at over 3 ghz. its drawing 500+ watts. usage is closer too yours 80% but keep in mind his clockspeeds too. You could prossibly get a bit more fps if you overclocked the 12900k. need great cooling for that tho and some know how.
ok

DC9V

Forum veteran
Example with crowded area, dlss performance,on dlss quality identical fps:
my pc:
80 fps ,62% usage.

Is this normal? My fps is between 80-90fps when i am running around the peoples

1:45
As you can see in that video, hitting the bottleneck can even lower the frame rate.

Some areas in the game are more demanding than others, and the game's engine doesn't seem to benefit from high core counts in general.

Anyone using DLSS_Performance at 1440p is just trying to flex their 13900K. This setting really shouldn't be used at 1440p.

To be honest with you, I'd just purchase a 4K monitor and call it a day.

sw333

Forum regular
So why switching to DLSS PERFORMANCE it not giving me more fps? It stayed on 102fps on dlss quality and performance. Only gpu usage is changing. Something wrong?

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
So why switching to DLSS PERFORMANCE it not giving me more fps? It stayed on 102fps on dlss quality and performance. Only gpu usage is changing. Something wrong?

Again, I don't think there's something wrong with your CPU, but if you think there's something wrong with DLSS, you might want to record a video and send it to the official report team.

1. Set DLSS mode to Quality, at 1440p 16:9, Borderless or Fullscreen.
  2. Head over to Misty, in front of her shop.
  3. Start recording, using Geforce Experience overlay.
  4. Press ESC to open the menu and show graphics and video settings, then close the menu.
  5. Do not move, press F5, and wait for ten seconds.
  6. Open menu and change DLSS mode from Quality to Performance. Close the menu, do not move, and wait for 10 seconds.
  7. Press F9. Once the quick save is loaded, do not move, and wait for 10 seconds.
  8. Change DLSS mode from Performance to Quality. Close the menu, do not move, and wait for 10 seconds.
  9. Open settings again, and change the value of Cascaded Shadows Range and Cascaded Shadows Resolution. If it is set to High, change it to Low, and vice versa. Then close the menu, do not move, and wait for 10 Seconds.
  10. Press F9, Do not move, and wait for ten seconds.
  11. Stop recording.
  12. Upload the video and send the link to the official support team so they can have a look. https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/pc/sp-technical/issue/1775/contact-to-support

edit: typos

Last edited:
Top Bottom